Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,896,547 times

Advertisements

No.. Too much risk of sudden thunderstorms around here. Even with rain guards, it can start blowing sideways.

I can deal with 5 minutes of hot better than 2 days of wet-ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,483,508 times
Yes, I leave my car windows cracked open slightly (less than 1 inch) during warm/hot weather. My car windows have the Vent Shades and no one can see that the windows are open slightly.

It certainly helps the car to stay cooler in hot weather. And I'm not so certain that extreme heat doesn't damage some parts of the interior of a car. My pickup truck in Florida had the headliner come loose and droop down after about 7 or 8 years and I'm sure that heat had something to do with that. Lots of plastics, rubber, glue, and other stuff are adversely affected by heat over a period of time.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,193,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The materials they use in vehicle interiors today won’t get damaged in extreme heat or sunlight, these materials are tested in the harshest conditions in Arizona were GM has a proving grounds along wit others including suppliers who test their interior parts also.
Define "today." Toyotas made in the mid-2000s have a recall for melting dashboards. Not that an open window can prevent that problem, but just pointing out that even vehicles of "today" are not immune to such issues. https://jennstrathman.com/melting-dashboard/

And yes - I crack open the windows if weather and safety conditions allow. Dunno if it helps with lowering the car temp or not.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,570,888 times
Hell, yeah. The hotter the car, the more potentially toxic chemicals will offgas from the interior. The cooler and better-ventilated the car, the cleaner the air inside of it.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
Yes! I live in Las Vegas where it gets hot enough to break windows and crack the dash. Mine are always cracked!

Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
No, because I do not like to deal with the pollen and/or dust inside the vehicle. I usually park in a garage, but no cracked windows when I do have to park on the street in NYC or DC. I leave the top down when I am in LA/OC/SD if I set out with the top down, but there's nothing to steal in the car and little risk of rain, but the windows are up.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,622,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
...When you leave your car parked? Why or why not?
Yes, because dear old dad always told us to roll down our windows slightly when we parked in some shadeless parking lot in Texas during the Summer. Then we had to roll the windows down when we got in until the AC blew some of the hot air out. I never actually saw any car with shattered glass because all of the windows were rolled up tight, but that was what was drummed into our heads.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:57 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
I lived in Florida never had a problem and it gets very hot there. I’ve seen how suppliers test their components I’ve seen plastic interior parts subject to heat lamps baking them for a month or more and as far as the Toyota might of had problems but no other manufacturer had that problem. Do you see dealers cracking the windows in Las Vegas to let the heat out? If interiors were melting I’m sure they would vent their cars on their lots. Never seen shattered glass because of heat glass is made in a furnace and is tempered.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:21 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,483,508 times
What car dealers do or don't do has little to do with the discussion. Most cars don't sit on a dealer's lot more than 30 to 40 days, so the dealer has little concern for long term damage due to heating of the car's interior. Also, these cars have to be hosed down almost daily to keep the dust and pollen to a minimum and this would present a big hassle to have to put the windows up and down so often on a car just sitting there.

Additionally, most cars on the lot don't have Vent Shades or other covers for the windoes, so if a sudden rainstorm came up, there's no way the dealer or his staff could shut all the windows on 400 cars in less than a minute or two.

So, I wouldn't put much credence into what car dealers do with their inventory as far as how I want to treat the car/truck that I may own for a decade or longer.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:41 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,479,962 times
Never, to much dust and I've experienced insects and reptiles looking for a place to crash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive