Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I hesitate because I DO tend to over analyze even small decisions like this.

Do I hate getting into a hot care? Sure. Who doesn't?
Is the car soooo hot that the steering wheel is hot to touch? Sure.

So do I need to get a sun shade? I don't know.
How long is the car really THAT hot?
OK, so you turn on the air....without the sun shade isn't the car cool almost immediately (a minute) anyway?

To be honest I think I'd rather pull off quicker....and save the bit of time it takes to take the darn thing out of the window and get situated to just drive off and be on my way.....
Sounds like you answered your own question! They definitely do help. ymmv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 12:59 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
I don't have one. Have thought about it?

I guess they work "a little."
Are they worth it?

Thanks.
Are you talking about the things that fold out that yu put in the windshield? Yes, they help, if you can find one that fits your windshield.

The ones that are cardboard are least effective. I had one once that was the best, but I can't find one like it anymore. It was very large and made of a white thin paper-fabric (like an extra heavy duty paper towel, but sort of like a light fabric too), with wire rims. It was two large circles with the wire rims covered by that white fabric, covered the whole windshield, and folded easily into a small circle. I now have one of those aluminum ones, but it doesn't fit my windshield well and falls down.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
There are a few places that custom make them to fit your specific vehicle perfectly. My one son has one of these in his Dodge Ram, and it fits like a glove and lets no sunlight in anywhere around the perimeter.

Here is just one source:

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...yAAEgJNZfD_BwE

Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
For the small price, yes it's worth it. I live in Florida and use mine all the time from May-October.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:03 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Not cheap, but worth the price - You wouldn't believe how well this sunscreen works.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sunscreens

Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Responding from the Phoenix area. Yes, absolutely - sunshades work. Highly recommended.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:

OK, so you turn on the air....without the sun shade isn't the car cool almost immediately (a minute) anyway?

To be honest I think I'd rather pull off quicker....and save the bit of time it takes to take the darn thing out of the window and get situated to just drive off and be on my way.....
Well you might want one if you have leather seats. It takes no time to get them out of the windshield though it takes remembering to put them in ;-) I had one for a while but found it was more of a pain to remember to put it up. I don't have leather seats though.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
I live in the desert. Sun shines nearly all the time. Even in winter the car is noticeably cooler when I use the sun shades. And protects the dashboard somewhat. A friend of mine has actually draped a towel across his dash to protect it ALL the time. That's probably a good idea.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Full windshield tint DOES work. Know first hand from 2 cars that had it done.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:

You're missing something important. It's not just how cool the car is when you get in and turn on the AC. Heat wears out every part of a car. What effect do you think 160F all day long has on the electronics and interior? Reducing that temperature by 20F or 30F is going to make a big difference

Crack your windows too. I leave mine open 2" and the car interior stays pretty close to ambient air temperature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive