Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Initially you had to get one ring going with an electric motor, but since they were counter rotating and magnetic, once you got them going, they didnt need to be powered after that.

What I said was you would never get the energy out of it that you put into it. Such a device may be able to spin for a very long time because it can preserve the energy it has but at the end of the day there is always friction whether it's air, bearings or whatever else may be in play. If you were to stop it with a generator that could capture it's energy there would be less than used to set it in motion.

If you think you can break the laws of physics have a blast, there is plenty of people out there willing to take your money for the plans for such a device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Actually, that's how all digital devices work.

Let's clarify this, it's how that data is being utilized. Take Watson for example, they feed it copious amounts of data but it's up to Watson to decide what part of that data is relevant to how it answers a question.

As far as these cars goes it could use GPS to know where it's at, it could use mapping points to know what route to take but it still needs to make the decision of whether that's a pothole in the road and what is the best course of action. This is not something you can specifically program because every pothole is different.

Quote:
Even the picture on your television is nothing more than data points all changing rapidly.
Video is actually an illusion. You eyes can gather far more data that your brain can ever expect to process. It only processes a small fraction of it and fills in the blanks, itcreates what it expects to see between each frame.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While I expect self driving cars to be the norm in the future I won't hold my breath for flying cars. Too may hurdles, mostly the expense of buying and maintaining it that the average person would not be able to afford.
I disagree. I would put the odds of flying cars becoming reality at 1000 times greater than self-driving cars. Flying cars wouldn't require any special infrastructure. As a matter of fact they would require less infrastructure. Roads could theoretically become a thing of the past. As for the flying cars themselves, we already have them. They are called private airplanes. Though flying cars would probably use helicopter technology.

Unlike self-driving cars, flying cars wouldn't require any special mapping of the roads. Current aircraft technology would work just fine for navigation. And there would be no need to worry about road paint becoming faded and people dying as a result.

As for cost, once you add in infrastructure improvements and liability insurance for self-driving cars, neither flying cars or self-driving cars will be affordable to the average person.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I was taking with a GM engineer yesterday and he said the industry is probably 20 years away form what most people understand when they think of fully autonomous cars (i.e. it drives you around while you watch Netflix) I argued with him that technology always advances faster than we think, but he was adamant it will be at least 20 years for fully autonomous vehicles to be the norm.

Partially autonomous vehicles are available now and near full autonomous will be available soon on the very high end cars, but they will not be systems where you can sleep or trim your toenails while "driving" and it will take longer for them to drift down tot he affordable cars.

This was different than my understanding of where we are, but I have found this guy to be extremely in the know on these sorts of things. I will defer to his knowledge and expect them in 2038.

Funny - we also discussed flying cars in the same conversation. "Flying" cars as in no wheels on the ground are already a possibility. Not zipping through the air, but traveling along the road 6" off the pavement. there are many problems - cost, weight limitations, and primarily safety. How do you stop them? How do you turn? How do you keep them on the road in windy conditions? He said he believes we will see this and be done with tires before we die, but not anytime in the foreseeable future. It could be air like a hovercraft, but he seemed ot think some sort of magnetic system is more likely. We will have to develop new types of batteries for this to be practical. It should be extremely efficient however as the friction will be massively reduced.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-08-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 01:46 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No matter what your job is there is nothing you do that AI will not be able to do better, it's just a matter of time. Industries always need to adopt to new technology and this will be no different.
Not true at all. I manage a department of over 100 people; there is no AI in the universe that can learn how to interact with that many different personalities, communicate with them, fairly evaluate their performances, and make dozens or hundreds of judgment calls each day. By the same token, there is no AI that can replace what they do, either - each of them must physically interact with multiple clients each day; a machine can not do what they do as well or as safely as a human. There are still plenty of jobs out there that can only be done properly by a human.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was taking with a GM engineer yesterday and he said the industry is probably 20 years away form what most people understand when they think of fully autonomous cars (i.e. it drives you around while you watch Netflix) I argued with him that technology always advances faster than we think, but he was adamant it will be at least 20 years for fully autonomous vehicles to be the norm.

Partially autonomous vehicles are available now and near full autonomous will be available soon on the very high end cars, but they will not be systems where you can sleep or trim your toenails while "driving" and it will take longer for them to drift down tot he affordable cars.

This was different than my understanding of where we are, but I have found this guy to be extremely in the know on these sorts of things. I will defer to his knowledge and expect them in 2038.

Funny - we also discussed flying cars in the same conversation. "Flying" cars as in no wheels on the ground are already a possibility. Not zipping through the air, but traveling along the road 6" off the pavement. there are many problems - cost, weight limitations, and primarily safety. How do you stop them? How do you turn? How do you keep them on the road in windy conditions? He said he believes we will see this and be done with tires before we die, but not anytime in the foreseeable future. It could be air like a hovercraft, but he seemed ot think some sort of magnetic system is more likely. We will have to develop new types of batteries for this to be practical. It should be extremely efficient however as the friction will be massively reduced.
20 years is pretty optimistic, I'm inclined to think 30 yrs would be more likely. Funny thing is most people in the tech industry that I've met are all very pragmatic in belief and folks not in the tech industry seems to believe that autonomous cars are right around the corner.

There are too many challenges in real world scenerio that companies have yet to even looked at. Notice all of these companies test in warm climates and haven't even tested them in cold weather. If there is any snow or 1 feet of water on the ground, does the car have the proper sensor to detect surface condition? How does the car know it's tire wear? It plays a huge factor in wet and slippery condition. You have to load a different set of driving software to handle slippery weather and how to drive over snow. It is not as simple because it requires a lot of sensors and math to drive over snow and ice, where the variables increase exponentially. We have too many non-technical folks trying to push for AVs without knowing the technical challenges.

If Uber tested their car in cold climate they would kill more people than just one poor lady.

Then there's the legal side, who do we fault when the autonomous car hurts or kills someone? If the owner says he/she didn't drive then it's the car's fault. Who do we sue? The mfg? If we can sue the mfg then they are not going to sell them to the public. It will be 100% owned by corporations and it won't be as convenient as Uber because there won't that many AV on the road as much as driver owned Uber cars. It will be like mass transit where you have to wait for AVs to show up to pick you up. Might as well just call a human driver car.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
^^ Uber tests (or used to before the testing program was suspended) its autonomous cars in Pittsburgh, about as challenging a driving environment you can find while still being on paved roads.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ Uber tests (or used to before the testing program was suspended) its autonomous cars in Pittsburgh, about as challenging a driving environment you can find while still being on paved roads.
Good luck testing in Brooklyn where there are so many confusing construction signs/cones and potholes and unpaved gravel roads.

Then you got kids in skateboards and scooters. How about homeless people washing your windshield?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Though flying cars would probably use helicopter technology.

Any idea how expensive it is to maintain a helicopter? The maintenance schedule on them is substantial, short and very expensive.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Not true at all. I manage a department of over 100 people; there is no AI in the universe that can learn how to interact with that many different personalities, communicate with them, fairly evaluate their performances, and make dozens or hundreds of judgment calls each day. By the same token, there is no AI that can replace what they do, either - each of them must physically interact with multiple clients each day; a machine can not do what they do as well or as safely as a human. There are still plenty of jobs out there that can only be done properly by a human.

You are severely underestimating the capabilities of AI, how many of your employees can correctly answer any possible question asked by your clients in 50 different languages?

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-08-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive