Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:57 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, Mister Smart Fellow, have you ever heard of valve seals? What do you think happens if one valve seal fails?

Have you ever heard of a head gasket failing, allowing water to get into the crankcase and mix with the oil, thus ruining the oil's lubricating properties?

Have you ever heard of piston rings? Engine sludge? Know what happens when too much sludge builds up on piston rings? Eventually one of them may break.

Have you ever heard of a leaky oil gallery, so it doesn't drip on the driveway when the car is off, only when oil pressure is up to operating pressure (which is when you are not at home, so you don't see the oil dripping off?

Have you ever heard of a knuckle dragging mouth breathing "technician" at the quicky oil change place cross threading the oil plug so it doesn't seal?

On the other hand, have you ever heard of a failed vacuum modulator on an automatic transmission, causing ATF to be drawn into the intake manifold causing vast clouds of blue smoke - but when you check the engine oil, it's not going down - so you realize it's ATF being burned instead?

Have you ever heard of driving several months just around town on very short trips so the oil gets a bunch of water condensing in it, and you think the oil level's just fine, but then you go on a long trip at the height of summer, and when you check the oil at the first gas station after 400 miles steady highway driving you find it's a quart low now all the water's come out of the oil?
Here’s the thing buddy, the engine’s under warranty, so a failed valve seal at 40k miles is Jeep’s problem not mine. If it can’t make it to the next oil change it deserves to die and Jeep can replace it and give me a loaner.

But that’s not a problem see, because I’ve beeen driving since the early 90’s and oil has never been a problem. I don’t keep cars long enough anymore to worry about this sort of thing. If I did, I sure wouldn’t be so worried about it that I would assume that not only did my seals fail catastrophically between oil changes, but also worried that the oil sensor failed at the same time. Why you guys think sensors just fail all day when your engine has been covered in dozens of them for decades, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

And WHAT part of "the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level" or "Always maintain the oil level within the SAFE zone on the dipstick" make you believe it's the dealer's or manufacturer's fault if you fail to do so?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And WHAT part of "the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level" or "Always maintain the oil level within the SAFE zone on the dipstick" make you believe it's the dealer's or manufacturer's fault if you fail to do so?
And the dealership can tell me if it’s not to the correct level when I take it in for an oil change. Where does it say I need to do this every weekend?
Most importantly, why would you think an oil level sensor can’t perform this simple task? What car do you own that needs such careful monitoring?
You’re probably checking your oil more than your own blood pressure, yet it’s the engine you’re worried about.

Here’s the reality, modern engines are lasting longer than ever and nobody is checking their engine oil between oil changes. An oil level sensor would make the most sense for pretty much everybody. Transmissions no longer have either a dipstick nor a sensor. Times have moved on.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Huuuuge stretch to go from not checking oil dipstick’s every weekend to driving an electric car.
You guys need to get with the times. If your car has an oil consumption problem, it’s time to trade it in.
Modern cars don’t burn enough oil to be so concerned with oil levels that you need an old school dipstick because you’re so paranoid a sensor will fail to detect anything.

A dipstick won’t tell you if something broke loose on a long trip and you’re rapidly losing oil. That’s why you need a sensor. The dipstick just tells you your engine is getting worn out.
You need to learn about cars. I will never, ever trade my 80's BMW for a new one. People like you are the ones who get sludge in the top end of an engine and ruin them because you rely on a light to tell you what to do. This is directly from my mechanic. He tells me how many BMW V8s are ruined, just because people don't pay a little extra for changing the oil more often.

You know why those sensors go so long before they want you to change oil? Because many manufacturers have programs which PAY for the oil changes. So the lights go off at 10,000+ miles instead of 5-6,000 miles because they don't have to PAY so much for oil changes. And by 100,000 miles, your engine is so trashed you'll have to buy a new car.

Perhaps you are so entitled and rich you can afford to buy a new car every few years. Sorry, not here. I like to take care of my machinery. Oil is cheap. Engines aren't.

Modern engines are lasting longer? What B.S. I had a 2014 Ford Fusion Turbo 1.5 bought brand new. It quit on me at 30k. Needed a new engine. Would have cost me $7,500 if it wasn't under warranty. I got rid of it ASAP after the new engine was put in. I've owned 40+ cars new and used and NEVER had one self destruct on me like that.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-04-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Quote:
It's not my fault you drive an old busted heap to the point you have to keep a close eye on engine oil level.
Don't be ignorant.
Common sense goes a long way in life....try using it.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
i rely on the maintenance minder for oil change. right now, the minder says 15% and its time for oil change and tire rotation, after 8000+ miles since the last oil change.

it must be pretty accurate, the mileage says 140,000+

the car is honda crv 2007, bought Nov 2006

the only thing i replaced is starter, ac alternator and shocks and tires

Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Honestly I haven’t checked my oil in years. My oldest car has 40k miles on it and I take it in to get the oil changed when the change light comes on. If it’s low on oil and the engine blows up, either the dealership owes me a new engine or the manufacturer.
That's not the way it works. You are responsible for detecting high oil usage and/or leaks and maintaining the correct oil level. Not doing so comes under willful neglect and you will not be covered under warranty.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You need to learn about cars. I will never, ever trade my 80's BMW for a new one. People like you are the ones who get sludge in the top end of an engine and ruin them because you rely on a light to tell you what to do. This is direct from my mechanic. He tells me how many BMW V8s are ruined. Just because people don't pay a little extra for changing the oil more often.

You know why those sensors go so long before they want you to change oil? Because many manufacturers have programs which PAY for the oil changes. So the lights go off at 10,000+ miles instead of 5-6,000 miles because they don't have to PAY so much for oil changes. And by 100,000 miles, your engine is so trashed you'll have to buy a new car.

Perhaps you are so entitled and rich you can afford to buy a new car every few years. Sorry, not here. I like to take care of my machinery. Oil is cheap. Engines aren't.

Modern engines are lasting longer? What B.S. I had a 2014 Ford Fusion Turbo 1.5 bought brand new. It quit on me at 30k. Needed a new engine. I got rid of it ASAP after the new engine was put in. I've owned 40+ cars new and used and NEVER had one self destruct on me like that.
I’m willing to bet I know more about them than you do as I’ve apparently owned far more than you have. What does your 1980 BMW have to do with my oil level maintenance frequency?

Yes, I would keep an eye on that 1980’s BMW’s oil consumption. It’s old and past it’s prime. I’ll never own one so I don’t care what it takes for you to keep it on the road, but do what you gotta do. But remember, you not being able to afford a new car is not my problem and does not affect my maintenance practices so I’m not sure why you even brought this up. I don’t know how to maintain a Model T either, but that has nothing to do with my car.

I’ve owned some of the world’s worst cars and never had an engine blow up. Back when cars were old and stupid, I checked fluids very often and spent a lot on maintenance, but those times have changed. Engines have gotten much better and I’ve found better things to do.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/1...ew-100000.html
Sorry, I know the statistics don’t jive with your anecdote, but apparently checking that dipstick didn’t help you did it?

The rest of your post makes no sense. Why would a manufacturer care what your oil change cost? If anything, if you pay a dealer to do it, it would behoove them to have you come in more often.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Don't be ignorant.
Common sense goes a long way in life....try using it.
The people paranoid over oil level and oil level sensor failure rates with no evidence are telling me to use common sense?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's not the way it works. You are responsible for detecting high oil usage and/or leaks and maintaining the correct oil level. Not doing so comes under willful neglect and you will not be covered under warranty.
I can tell a leak because my engine will stink like burning oil and they’ll be a puddle under my car. Eventually i’ll get a low pressure warning, then it’s the manufacturer’s problem.
Realistically this doesn’t happen. Not often enough to demand I check the level more than required, and definitely not enough to assume that it will leak and the sensor that detects that leak will also go bad at the same time. Some people are just still stuck in the 1970’s and overly paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive