Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then why do you feel need to spread the good word?
I was wondering this too. Why push if the rest of us don't have any choice 'very soon?'

I'm going to go look trading in one of my cars for a hybrid this afternoon, but won't consider all electric. I just don't see its practicality at the moment, or in the near future.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And just because your apartment complex has 4 (wasn't it that many?) charging stations doesn't mean that all do or apartment owners, or local governments, are knocking each other over to install them.
Actually one of the charging challenges rarely talked about is real estate... tying up space for charging stations from 30 min to 30 hours is a costly proposition with investments in positions and access lanes.

Occasionally you hear complaints about wait times for a charger or people using positions for long periods of time but what you don't hear about is the cost of the facilities. As long as we have government and manufacturers throwing money at the problem it is hidden, but it won't always be. Since only 50% of owners are in a position to have a home charger demand will increase.

I recently talked to a commercial realtor that works with independent gas station owners and he says few could make a case to have an on site charging station. Even mentions that retailers that put them in deal with increasing numbers of non EV customers using the spots.

And this is just part of the charging issues... there are many more coming before the transformation happens.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Actually one of the charging challenges rarely talked about is real estate... tying up space for charging stations from 30 min to 30 hours is a costly proposition with investments in positions and access lanes.

Occasionally you hear complaints about wait times for a charger or people using positions for long periods of time but what you don't hear about is the cost of the facilities. As long as we have government and manufacturers throwing money at the problem it is hidden, but it won't always be. Since only 50% of owners are in a position to have a home charger demand will increase.

I recently talked to a commercial realtor that works with independent gas station owners and he says few could make a case to have an on site charging station. Even mentions that retailers that put them in deal with increasing numbers of non EV customers using the spots.

And this is just part of the charging issues... there are many more coming before the transformation happens.
As I mentioned we have a dual station with 2 chargers. We have had to ticket people parking in the spots in a non-EV car.

The County has several at a couple Parks, it also has that problem.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:

It’s like parking at a gas pump. When charging takes up hours of time, it’s tempting to plug it in and leave it and not come back until you’re ready to leave. If everybody has to share a station, then that sucks.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I was wondering this too. Why push if the rest of us don't have any choice 'very soon?'

I'm going to go look trading in one of my cars for a hybrid this afternoon, but won't consider all electric. I just don't see its practicality at the moment, or in the near future.
I don’t get why it’s supposed to be all or nothing with BEV fanatics. Is a plug in hybrid or a hybrid with 50mpg and no infrastructure and lifestyle compromises not good enough? It’s a far more practical sell.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Lol, the guy on here droning on like he’s trying to spread a religion, is asking if I’ve got an agenda.
Do you sell oil products? I think you do, as no one can be so dumb.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Do you sell oil products? I think you do, as no one can be so dumb.
No. Do you sell batteries?

Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:

What? Most monolithic 240V charging stations, once wired, essentially "come out of the asphalt" and take up around 1 square foot. Tesla Superchargers by design take up more, but they want TESLA to be SEEN from several hundred feet as part of the design. All of that box is absolutely NOT NECESSARY for it to function.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What? Most monolithic 240V charging stations, once wired, essentially "come out of the asphalt" and take up around 1 square foot. Tesla Superchargers by design take up more, but they want TESLA to be SEEN from several hundred feet as part of the design. All of that box is absolutely NOT NECESSARY for it to function.
The point is at a congested place with a premium on parking, a charging station is basically like sticking a gas pump on a parking space. It ties up a parking spot and if you wanted to charge your car, there’s essentially another electric car already there all day using it as a parking spot.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
It will be at the pumps, and sooner than you think. You must sell oil products.

I think I first heard that in 1972. How old are you John and why are you obsessed with making Americans feel bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive