Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:53 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

IMO, the greater danger in higher speeds is the disparity in vehicle speeds. Commercial trucks might not be able to handle the higher speeds, and flow patterns of traffic around them can catch you out.

Why is this not a problem in other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Semi trucks in other countries are smaller than those in the United States because their roads are smaller

Old 08-02-2018, 01:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Semi trucks in other countries are smaller than those in the United States because their roads are smaller

Not really. I spent a few weeks in Scotland and those things are still monsters.

They just tend to be cabovers.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Not a practical speed limit. Good way to fall to sleep....

Old 08-02-2018, 05:44 PM

This Peterbuilt would not fit on those roads and we don’t drive cabovers here anymore.

Attachment 200639

This is my brothers Semi he was a steel hauler did you see trailers like this in Europe these would not work to great in Europe.

Attachment 200638

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Because:

1) Driving laws are much more aggressively enforced; ie, "slower traffic keep right" is the law and the customary manner of driving.

2) Driver's licenses are not handed out as premiums in a box of cracker jax or sold at sears on-sale to every tom, dick, harry, and jane that walks in the door. The privileges of a driver's license are earned with a great deal more study, knowledge of the law and good driving practices/habits.

3) I've seen many cases of "road rage" type driving here in the USA, or people who just don't give a damn about how their driving affects the flow of traffic. I've yet to see that attitude in my European friends who drive here, and I've been driving with many of them for over 50 years now. They seem to have a different respect for the road and traffic awareness. All of them will yield the road to an "optical horn" flash, even if they believe that they're not impeding traffic. It appears to be their common courtesy … an attribute I rarely see in so many states.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
This Peterbuilt would not fit on those roads and we don’t drive cabovers here anymore.

Attachment 200639

This is my brothers Semi he was a steel hauler did you see trailers like this in Europe these would not work to great in Europe.

Attachment 200638
They would fit. I have seen trailers like that, except the first trailer isn’t a trailer on the European trucks I have seen. It’s a truck with the box on the tractor towing a trailer. It’s close to the size of the American trucks I have seen.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They would fit. I have seen trailers like that, except the first trailer isn’t a trailer on the European trucks I have seen. It’s a truck with the box on the tractor towing a trailer. It’s close to the size of the American trucks I have seen.
That first semi is towing a trailer it’s filled with vehicles they transport vehicles for people it’s connected with a king pin to the 5th wheel like any other semi trailer with air lines for the trailer brakes and that box you see is the sleeper were the driver sleeps when they stop and rest. And my brothers truck is hauling steel coils he had his business in Michigan and this is their weight limits. So in Europe they can pull double trailers also? How many axles do they allow on European roads.

Michigan has the highest truck weight limits in North America, that can be utilized on a regular basis, with a limit of 164,000 lb gross weight limit, and truck trailer combinations limited to 11 axles.

And dose Europe allow tripple trailers like the USA on turnpikes another reason we have our speed limits especially for semi trucks.

Attachment 200657

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Actually the differences are not due to "fitting on the roads." In the US, more of the trucks are owner-operator and the drivers live out of the trucks. This tends to mean more comfortable conventional cabs with sleepers, but shorter trailers. In Europe, very few owner operators and regulations n hos long a driver can drive tends to mean no sleepers. And with regulations on hos long the truck can be overall, the cabover is preferred so that the trailer length can be maximized. Also, there are regulations on forward visibility, so cabovers give that needed visibility that conventional ones lack due to trying to see over the hoods.

And while you have triple trailers here (depending on state, many states dont' allow double or triple trailers), you dont' get the road trains that are legal in some places in the world:

Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM

But the amount of axles is different in Europe than the USA yo haven’t shown me a 11 axle trailer we’re is i have my brothers steel hauler and the weight limits are more on us freeways than European so our semi trucks haul more weight.

Another reason is speed. In Europe Semi-trucks are limited to 90 km/h, but in some places in US trucks reach 129 and even 137 km/h. That is where better aerodynamics and longer wheel base help a lot.

Finally, roads in US and Europe are very different as well. Cities in US have wide streets and interstate highways are very straight and wide. In Europe trucks have to deal with narrow streets, winding country roads and cramped parking spaces

Semi trucks in the USA can haul heavier loads and are more fuel efficient and are a better rideing truck do to its longer wheelbase.

Last edited by easy62; 08-03-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive