U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,291,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Stupid, kneejerk law with endless stupid fallout like speedometers limited to 85. Counterproductive in just about every way imaginable. Very unlikely it saved any gas at all.
It reduced our reliance on imported oil from 36% in 1974 to 28% in 1985. Since relaxing of the rules, reliance on imported oil rose close to 60% in 2009.

IMHO, a side benefit of the 55 mph speed limit was that it gave automakers the impetus to develop vehicles that performed better under the emission regulations. Few cared that a mid 70's V6 Cutlass performed like crap because it wasn't supposed to perform like a muscle car.

Notice how government regulation dragged automakers kicking and screaming into make fuel efficient, high performance cars when they said it could never be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:30 AM

552 posts, read 638,552 times
Default I can't drive 55

Nixon implemented this crap in 1974; I was in my mid 20s. I always thought Sammy Hagar said it best in 1984 I cant drive 55. In 1987-88 congress allowed states to increase to 65.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

Old 06-08-2018, 11:32 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It reduced our reliance on imported oil from 36% in 1974 to 28% in 1985. Since relaxing of the rules, reliance on imported oil rose close to 60% in 2009.
The two are not related. Oil usage went up as a natural progression from increased drivers and cars and trucks on the road, but (for whatever reason each political side wishes to blame it on) our oil harvesting and refining capacity has stayed largely static rather than increasing with the increased demand.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM

4,227 posts, read 1,269,454 times
It didn’t really matter to me I got my drivers license in 1971 and It was no biggy to me because I seen my older brother get his license taken away fro to many speeding tickets. I didn’t want that to happen to me so I never speeded. I remember the oil embargo in 1973 it was a pain in the butt getting gas then there were long gas lines. So I can care less about the speed limits even to this day all i want to do is get to my destination I’m in no hurry.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:50 AM

2,214 posts, read 972,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I thought it was stupid. I pretty much ignored it.

Shortly after they first passed it, several guys in New York went out on the freeway and drove 55mph. It caused a 4 hour traffic jam. They struggled with what to ticket them for, and came up with impeding the free flow of traffic.

I did drive a bit slower. When the limit was 55 I usually drove 70, up to 80 if I was comfortable it was safe to do so (radar detectors were more effective back then). Now that it is 70, I usually drive 79. sometimes 85.

I do remember when I was commuting to school about 50 miles. We used a freeway that was known to have no law enforcement ever and most people drove around 80. It saved a lot of time. The law enforcement thing was the result of a dispute between various government agencies over who had to patrol it back then it was not seen as a revenue generating source, it was a burden. The result was no one patrolled it. However later a while some federal agency that monitored freeway speeds in various locations told that state if the speeds were not reduced on that freeway, their federal highway funding would be cut. This resulted in several months of heavy State police patrols and tickets. The average speed went down, the money came in and the patrols went away and the speed went back up.

Now a friend who commutes along that same stretch of freeway said he knows it is never patrolled, so he drives 100 when it is clear enough to do so. Of course today cars are more capable of cruising at 100. The car I had back then would have fallen apart if I tried to sustain that speed for 50 miles. It was capable of 130, but you could not sustain it.
I always find it interesting when i drive through lower Michigan all the cars with the blue line flags, support the police bumper stickers, etc. Usually on cars breaking the law driving way over the speed limit. What a load of nonsense.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:02 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I always find it interesting when i drive through lower Michigan all the cars with the blue line flags, support the police bumper stickers, etc. Usually on cars breaking the law driving way over the speed limit. What a load of nonsense.
Not nonesense at all. You know who some of the most prolific speeders and other traffic law breakers are? Cops.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 PM

8,245 posts, read 2,893,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Cop stickers, "secret" cop license plate frames, cop/SWAT caps on the back window shelf... all bogus attempts to get out of being pulled over or ticketed and invariably the sign of complete jerkwad drivers.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 PM

8,245 posts, read 2,893,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
I always thought Sammy Hagar said it best in 1984 I cant drive 55. In 1987-88 congress allowed states to increase to 65.
And Sammy was there; CA did a photo-op of him applying a 6 sticker to a 55mph highway sign.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 12,965,722 times
When I started driving I wasn't old enough to get a license. Most hiway speed limits were only 45 mph around here. Took forever to get anywhere. If it wasn't for the Burma Shave signs, you'd go nutz. There were no interstates around here...yet. Then they raised them to 60 when hiways were designed to handle the additional speed. Otherwise, it was common to see cattle and other livestock feeding along the side of the road and some in the road. Corners were banked and a lot slower to turn. We still have a few of the old roads around that today you still have to slow down to 35-40 mph as the road takes a fairly sharp turn. When the speed limit dropped to 55, most everybody just ignored it and went 65-70 anyway. Most of the time the State Hiway Patrol ignored it as well but don't get caught at 71 or they'd thump the wallet. When it went back to 70, most everybody started to run 75. Now that it's 75 and 80 in some places, most folks run whatever they want. Out on West Texas where there's nothing but miles of nothing but miles, the speed limit is pretty much flat on the floor, all the vehicle will do. Amazingly, few wrecks too. As I've traveled the lower part of the USA recently, it appears most traffic is moving at 75 mph on the interstate with groups running at 80. The last 3500 mile trip, I never saw any DPS except at a wreck in Florida.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,419,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
IMHO, a side benefit of the 55 mph speed limit was that it gave automakers the impetus to develop vehicles that performed better under the emission regulations. Few cared that a mid 70's V6 Cutlass performed like crap because it wasn't supposed to perform like a muscle car.
I fail to see how the 55 mph limit caused carmakers to improve performance and emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or