Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:47 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

I started driving in the 80s when this was already the law. What were your feeling about this law when it was first passed? What were your feelings when it went away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
I was born in 1980 so the 55mph speed limit was standard for me until it was repealed. I remember seat belts not being required, cars with poor crash survivability, heavily polluting tailpipes, and catastrophically poorly designed cars. By the time it went away you had stricter crash safety testing, airbags (SRS), seat belt requirements, more efficient powertrains, and a relative dip in oil prices.

In my metro area of Orange County, Ca it is pretty rare that you can drive over 65mph on the freeways given the traffic congestion, but when the freeways are clear between the hours of 8pm-6am it is nice to go faster. The same can be said about the open highways...a cross country road trip at 55mph would be mind-numbing for me.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I thought it was stupid. I pretty much ignored it.

Shortly after they first passed it, several guys in New York went out on the freeway and drove 55mph. It caused a 4 hour traffic jam. They struggled with what to ticket them for, and came up with impeding the free flow of traffic.

I did drive a bit slower. When the limit was 55 I usually drove 70, up to 80 if I was comfortable it was safe to do so (radar detectors were more effective back then). Now that it is 70, I usually drive 79. sometimes 85.

I do remember when I was commuting to school about 50 miles. We used a freeway that was known to have no law enforcement ever and most people drove around 80. It saved a lot of time. The law enforcement thing was the result of a dispute between various government agencies over who had to patrol it back then it was not seen as a revenue generating source, it was a burden. The result was no one patrolled it. However later a while some federal agency that monitored freeway speeds in various locations told that state if the speeds were not reduced on that freeway, their federal highway funding would be cut. This resulted in several months of heavy State police patrols and tickets. The average speed went down, the money came in and the patrols went away and the speed went back up.

Now a friend who commutes along that same stretch of freeway said he knows it is never patrolled, so he drives 100 when it is clear enough to do so. Of course today cars are more capable of cruising at 100. The car I had back then would have fallen apart if I tried to sustain that speed for 50 miles. It was capable of 130, but you could not sustain it.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I thought it was stupid. I pretty much ignored it.

Shortly after they first passed it, several guys in New York went out on the freeway and drove 55mph. It caused a 4 hour traffic jam. They struggled with what to ticket them for, and came up with impeding the free flow of traffic.

I did drive a bit slower. When the limit was 55 I usually drove 70, up to 80 if I was comfortable it was safe to do so (radar detectors were more effective back then). Now that it is 70, I usually drive 79. sometimes 85.

I do remember when I was commuting to school about 50 miles. We used a freeway that was known to have no law enforcement ever and most people drove around 80. It saved a lot of time. The law enforcement thing was the result of a dispute between various government agencies over who had to patrol it back then it was not seen as a revenue generating source, it was a burden. The result was no one patrolled it. However later a while some federal agency that monitored freeway speeds in various locations told that state if the speeds were not reduced on that freeway, their federal highway funding would be cut. This resulted in several months of heavy State police patrols and tickets. The average speed went down, the money came in and the patrols went away and the speed went back up.

Now a friend who commutes along that same stretch of freeway said he knows it is never patrolled, so he drives 100 when it is clear enough to do so. Of course today cars are more capable of cruising at 100. The car I had back then would have fallen apart if I tried to sustain that speed for 50 miles. It was capable of 130, but you could not sustain it.
Wouldn’t have tried it with my first two cars. First was a 1978 Camarillo with 250 cid in-line 6 with only 5 cylinders working, rear leaf springs, and the cheapest tires I could afford (bias ply). Second car was a 1984 Buick Skyhawk with OHV 2.0L engine, 4 speed manual, and rear torsion beam suspension.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:26 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I started driving in the 80s when this was already the law. What were your feeling about this law when it was first passed? What were your feelings when it went away?
I didn't have any feelings. I did have thoughts. Stupid idea, it saved little and it created more scofflaws and more revenue for many, many ticket-printers. It was a politician's show with little effect on its stated mission.

Some things never change.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Stupid!

About time!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I was born in 1980 so the 55mph speed limit was standard for me until it was repealed..
That doesn't make sense. It was repealed in 1995 when you were 15. Unless you meant that you recall the limits when your parents were driving....

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Stupid, kneejerk law with endless stupid fallout like speedometers limited to 85. Counterproductive in just about every way imaginable. Very unlikely it saved any gas at all.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,516 times
I thought it was too darn slow. I still do. People still do 70-75 on the Taconic State parkway, which still has a 55 MPH speed limit (I do 65 on it, it's too frigging narrow for me).

Lifting the limit has forced automakers to figure out ways to increase efficiency at the higher speeds, including reducing wind resistance and figuring out how to lower RPMs. We can actually start seein the effects of bits of racing technology in day-to-day life. Today's cars get better MPGs doing 70 then 80s cars did going 55. That's a good thing.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPQDW6ZOpA

this about says it all. i was not quite driving age when the 55mph speed limit was instituted, and was happy when it was repealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive