Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times

Advertisements

New: Toyota - Rav4 where there is snow
50K: Toyota - Rav4 where there is snow
> 150K to 220K - Toyota but you will begin to have issues with the muffler and catalytic converters
> 250K - other problems begin to emerge with Toyotas but with a Fiat/Chrysler they happen > 100K

Honda is pretty good too.
Subaru is great in the snow.

Consumer reports has an annual car issue. Trust CR. I did and I don't regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Your problem seems to be "user error" because who drives a Hyundai voluntarily?

I've been driving my 2005 Hyundai for 13 years now and it's a good little car. Very little maintenance other than oil and tires the first 10 years. Since then, I've had only typical expected repairs during that time, but nothing extraordinary. Should last me at least a couple more years before I pass it along to my teenager as her first car.

As much as I didn't want to buy the Hyundai in 2005 (I didn't even want to go to the dealership to LOOK at them but my husband coerced me because at the time it was literally the ONLY car we could afford), it turned out to be a good purchase considering how long I've had it and how well it has performed.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You might consider leasing. Go with a 3 year lease of a highly rated car and you will never have to worry about repairs. In the rare occurrence of a repair, it will be covered by the new car warranty. Depending on how you drive, there is a chance you will never need to buy new tires. You can boil all your car spending down to a monthly payment.
I was going to suggest this as well. There are certain models that lease extremely well. If you don't drive more than 15k miles per year, it would be a good option to avoid being burnt by unexpected car repairs.

On the used car front, I have a 2003 Accord which I inherited from my dad - no issues with it other than typical wear issues - 135k miles. Currently driven by teen son who loves the pep in the V6. Also have a 2005 Expedition (owned for 8 years and 100k miles) which is at 190K miles and is my daily driver. Other than crap gas mileage and round 2 on the spark plug change, the thing is a tank which can go anywhere I need it to. I maintain both of those vehicles myself and have learned a great deal in doing that. Wife drives a leased 2018 QX60 which is an amazing vehicle (and dirt cheap to lease the last few months as certain Infiniti dealers have been blowing them out).

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
New: Toyota - Rav4 where there is snow
50K: Toyota - Rav4 where there is snow
> 150K to 220K - Toyota but you will begin to have issues with the muffler and catalytic converters
> 250K - other problems begin to emerge with Toyotas but with a Fiat/Chrysler they happen > 100K

Honda is pretty good too.
Subaru is great in the snow.

Consumer reports has an annual car issue. Trust CR. I did and I don't regret it.

Exactly where in the snow belt would you need an AWD compact crossover where a sedan, hatchback, or wagon with snow tires wouldn't cut it? I winter at a ski resort in Vermont and get 200"+ of snow in my driveway. There might be 3 or 4 days per winter where an FWD car with Nokians would struggle. I ski so I have an AWD car with some ground clearance as a convenience to get to the hill without needing to shovel or worry about where I park. I had a VW GTI with an old SUV as a spare car for 14 years. Until the car bottoms out, the GTI with Nokians is the better winter car than an SUV with snow tires.

A Rav4 with stock tires is awful in the snow. A false sense of security. It still has pathetic performance braking and cornering.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've been driving my 2005 Hyundai for 13 years now and it's a good little car. Very little maintenance other than oil and tires the first 10 years. Since then, I've had only typical expected repairs during that time, but nothing extraordinary.

That's most cars if you follow the maintenance schedule and don't beat on it. Brakes and tires are the only wear items not on the maintenance schedule. The problem with Hyundai is it's been a first new car for a lot of lower income people who don't maintain them properly. Any car where you don't change the oil is going to have problems eventually. And the classic timing belt issue. It's not the best odds when you're buying it used.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Am fed-up of buying a car it in next couple of years there would be a major issue with it and I will have to think about spending money on it or buying a new car.
Go for an EV, they are service free except for wiper replacements.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Buy an American car, they have no problems now.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
We have a Maxima and MDX both bought brand new and both approaching 8-10 years old with 100-120k miles on it. We have followed all of the manufacturer maintenance steps as well as replaced wear and tear items routinely (tires, brakes/rotors, oil, etc..). We have had no issues other than these items which are the owner's responsibility with the vehicle. Hopefully we will continued ownership for another 8-10 years until they have reached the end of their useful life.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Well...in theory https://www.greencarreports.com/news...r-reports-says

Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Ignore this idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive