U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 8,144,731 times

Advertisements

I wish the 1975-78 Mercury Marquis came out during the high compression era instead of the Malaise era, they were one of my all time favorite vehicles built in the 70's and the best of the Marquis's.

I also feel the same about the 1976-77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 02:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,448,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I wish the 1975-78 Mercury Marquis came out during the high compression era instead of the Malaise era, they were one of my all time favorite vehicles built in the 70's and the best of the Marquis's.

I also feel the same about the 1976-77 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

You do know just a bit of work (and yeah some money) you can make that 460 scream, right?

Old 06-20-2018, 03:03 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
Both of these "eras" are far enough in the past that a guy can certainly find a good example of whatever mid-70's car he likes, and then go through the engine, you can go "back to the 60's" if you want, but the technology is out there to go "ahead to the 90's" and do FI, build a fairly sophisticated engine that makes big power but is also at least fairly clean and if you go with the right transmission and rear gear set, you can have both strong acceleration and at least fairly good cruise mileage.

Of course with that Marquis, you will be wanting at least top-shelf brake pads, if not some better brakes outright (assuming you can find something that fits), and at least some new "ordinary" shocks. These cars were not that good at stopping or turning when new, but of course when new the engine was anemic enough to keep you out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive