Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Don't care if you're in a small car, a big SUV or a tank. lack of awareness is what gets you involved in most accidents.. Even ones that aren't your fault.

yep. i have always said the best piece of safety equipment is between the drivers ears, so use the damned thing people. far too many, like the OP, think that a big SUV is going to keep them safe, and that isnt always the case. remember that there is always someone out there driving in something bigger than you.

to that same end, far too many people think that newer means safer as well, and again that is not always true.

the safest people are the ones that pay as close to 100% attention to their driving as possible, and they know virtually everything that is going on around them, including what other drivers might be doing, and they are prepared for them as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
I know my old green lean machine was built like a tank. Back in 1983 my 1972 Bel air Chevy was parked in the street and some drunk woman hit it head on. Just dented the bumper a tiny bit and her big 4 door made around 1982 was crushed to the windshield.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
I'm researching buying a new car & for the first time actually care about crash test results (family with 2 kids now.)
I started looking up results of cars I'm interested in. Surprised to see my current small & lightweight car (Honda Insight) scored in the top scoring category for all 4 areas. Especially the roof, because I feel like I could punch a hole through it with my fist it's so thin. Sure enough it beats out a lot of the much larger & heavier vehicles.

Watching the crash vehicles & comparing them to other vehicles, this 2,700 pound car is built like a tank!!

2012 Honda Insight

Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The majority of traffic accidents are not head on collisions.

I don't know what the statistics are and I'm not going toi look them up however they are going to be of the more dangerous variety. Two equal sized vehicles hitting each other at 30MPH is like hitting a wall at 60.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Of course, the outcome is different - the lighter vehicle will decelerate faster or even accelerate in the opposite direction. And that's bad news for the occupants.

That's what happens during this collision, if you watch the slow-mo the larger car continues moving forward and the smaller car starts moving backwards and actually gets "batted". There is a significant amount of distance it travels backwards and to the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58zqJCtUjSI

Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Small cars have the same safety equipment as large cars, but have a better advantage at braking, handling, and acceleration, all of which aid in accident avoidance. Plus they don't roll easily like big SUV's do. And the old heavy American steel cars you speak of (ie Cadillac) had no airbags, no safety glass, primitive lap belts, and no ABS or collision avoidance systems like the most basic cars today do. OP, your post is really bizarre and not well thought out.
I always find it so odd that people think they are safer in a big SUV. I think it is much more dangerous because they perform so horribly. They just plow. My high performance car can avoid pretty much anything as it just handles, brakes and accelerates so well. I turn that wheel and it goes where I want and fast. Don't try that in an SUV or even worse a pickup. So dangerous. I'll take avoidance over crashing thanks. Enjoy your false sense of security in your huge clunky vehicle. No thanks.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:34 AM

431 posts, read 352,135 times
Statistically, flying is safer than driving.

I think if you really want to be safe you'll just fly everywhere!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
From the description of the accident, the driver of the SUV should be charged with vehicular homicide, three counts, potentially four, if the teen dies. On a two lane highway, she made an unsafe passing maneuver, and caused a head on collision. But she probably won't be charged. After all, she's a nice woman from Sandy, UT - and the family she destroyed was from out of the area.

But yes, if the unfortunate occupants of the smaller car had been in a bigger, heavier vehicle, like a Hummer, and if that vehicle hadn't caught fire (which both vehicles did), they would have been more likely to have survived.

I HATE paying for gas - it's harmful to our planet, and when we buy gas, we're funding theocracies like Iran and Saudi Arabia, which are bent on our destruction, either directly (in the case of Iran) or indirectly, by funding terrorism covertly, in the case of Saudi Arabia and the other Arab Gulf states.

That's why we need laws that mandate gas-efficient vehicles, with no exceptions for SUVs. And strictly enforced laws when it comes to driving drunk, drugged, distractedly, or unsafely, so that those who do such things are taken off the roads BEFORE they commit vehicular homicide!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Do you want to stay alive?

Old 06-24-2018, 09:20 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
Too often I read articles like this one: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46346242&ni...sh-near-scipio

Life is very precious and it cannot be replaced. These little cars that get 30 plus MPG don't mean jack when you're dead.

People that drive these compact cars are often being killed in accidents. When I read an article like this, I think what their outcome would have been if they were in a full size car, truck or SUV. Say a big Cadillac, a Ford Expedition, or even a full size Chrysler or Oldsmobile. (I know, unrealistic for 2018) I bet they would have lived.

If you want to increase your chances of living, go out and get some American steel!

Don't even get me started on motorcycles!

If you love life and want to live, pay at the pump!
I have a Subaru Legacy. I think they are considered pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive