Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I actually love the blunt shaped front ends that drop straight down. The sloping tapered front end was getting a little long in the tooth. The straight vertical grills have a more old school pre 1980’s look to them.
The Equus Bass 770 is a modern breath of fresh air from the typical car found today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 PM

On a separate note, I believe cars are a reflection of their designers.

Older, classic cars with a modern reissue counterpart are indicative of a culture change, if not, a change in humans themselves.

Ever notice how the classics (Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros) look LEANER, with finer details than, say, the recent throwback bodies? The modern shapes are bloated and, dare I say, oversimplified "Fisher Price" looking.

I've noticed in the facial shape of people in pictures, similar age, a generation ago, are much narrower with less "baby fat" than today. This is irrespective of body weight. Just the face. Wider, more childish eyes, even into their 40s. It's like some people never fully physiologically matured. My conspiracy theorist alarm is getting ready to go off, so I'll stop there.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 06-23-2018, 05:53 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Who cares as long as it works as intended you can see every one else’s exhaust in the cold weather also I never thought of exhaust as a design it’s to expel exhaust gases why does it have to look sexy it’s a exhaust people make to much out of the stupidest details.
I don’t necessarily need my exhaust to look sexy, I just don’t want to see the ground when I look at the cutouts. It looks stupid and fake, I’d rather just see a solid bumper cover and have the pipes underneath.

Come to think of it, the quad pipes on my SS do look kinda sexy.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I don’t necessarily need my exhaust to look sexy, I just don’t want to see the ground when I look at the cutouts. It looks stupid and fake, I’d rather just see a solid bumper cover and have the pipes underneath.

Come to think of it, the quad pipes on my SS do look kinda sexy.
Well times change and so dose the automotive industry, today’s design is ment to get the most mpg and designing swoop edges and other stuff is what they have to do to achieve it.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:14 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
[quote=easy62;52286835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Worst offender being the entry-level Mercedes SUVs where the pipes don't even flow through the cutouts in the bumper. The exhaust dumps out under the bumper. Not a big deal until a cold day when it's obvious.[/QUOTE

Who cares as long as it works as intended you can see every one else’s exhaust in the cold weather also I never thought of exhaust as a design it’s to expel exhaust gases why does it have to look sexy it’s a exhaust people make to much out of the stupidest details.
I’ve always hated the way they neglected exhaust pipes. Back in the day they protruded through the body work through chrome grommets and stuff, then they became an after thought. I really hate it when you can see the car’s muffler and junk you’re not supposed to see because the rear facia is too short and doesn’t cover anything. It’s like the body work designers didn’t talk to the people designing the undercarriage.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
For me, it's hard to say which design element I don't like over another. I think it is the finished product in its entirety. It's easier to point out a car I do like, the 2019 VW Jetta. Simple straightforward design, without all the swoopy bulges and awkward angles that are on most of today's new cars. To me,it looks like it could have been designed in 1991. I know that may sound weird to some, but this is my own personal taste. Probably a holdover from when I was young and cars were boxier.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
On a separate note, I believe cars are a reflection of their designers.

Older, classic cars with a modern reissue counterpart are indicative of a culture change, if not, a change in humans themselves.

Ever notice how the classics (Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros) look LEANER, with finer details than, say, the recent throwback bodies? The modern shapes are bloated and, dare I say, oversimplified "Fisher Price" looking.

I've noticed in the facial shape of people in pictures, similar age, a generation ago, are much narrower with less "baby fat" than today. This is irrespective of body weight. Just the face. Wider, more childish eyes, even into their 40s. It's like some people never fully physiologically matured. My conspiracy theorist alarm is getting ready to go off, so I'll stop there.

Anyone else notice this?
I totally get what you’re saying. I feel like many male designers in the auto industry today are very effeminate.

You can tell by the way modern cars look. Current Toyota/Lexus products are the worst offenders by far, the insane bass mouth, catfish, insane trapezoid front ends will go down in the history as being one of the worst and ugliest designs ever. They are the Ford Edsel’s of our time. Hardly any of these cars on the road are cohesive looking, they look like a schizophrenic designed them. I understand trying to make cars look aggressive but many of them also very evil and mean. Who the hell thought that having front ends look like fish mouths is cool or even good looking? The current Malibu’s (Catfish) grill is absolutely hideous looking, the car looks nice from its side profile until you see that ugly face and wonder what the ***** were the stylist thinking?

The effeminate styling cues being the cutesy or feminine shapes. The happy face front grills with the big headlights. Back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s people used to be a lot more serious and the men used to be REAL men that liked to get their hands dirty and knew how to be tough guys.

Well that masculinity translated into many automotive styling cues back in the days. People even looked physically different than they do now, mostly because of the different races of people we have living in the U.S. and chemicals in our food supply that are probably creating more estrogen in men. Many cars back then looked very masculine and tough, lots of different shapes, and hard angles that gave cars not only aggressive styling, but also graceful and elegant touches too.

I believe once Japanese cars were being imported such as Toyo and Honda’s, it slowly started the trend towards cars looking childish and feminine. Many people bought them in droves, but that doesn’t mean they had good styling because they didn’t!! They were ugly and bland for the most part in comparison to an American and even a European car. People bought them because they were reliable, period. And that is pretty damn sad knowing there’s a lot of drivers out there that honestly can care less about how a car looks as long as it gets them where they need to go safely and soundly. I’m sorry but I can’t drive an ugly car, there’s no way in hell you’ll catch me in a Prius or a pansy ass Kia Soul! No offense.

The only true masculine looking cars on the road from what I can see are the Detroit’s 3 muscle cars. The Camaro, Challenger and the Mustang. Including the Chrysler 300 and probably the Chevy Impala.

The Japanese and Koreans vehicles not so much, if at all do they look manly.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
I like the Lexus grill very much. At least it doesn't look like the generic sedans that look all alike.
You can't tell one from another nowadays and the latest version of the Hyundai 'Copycat' is the worst.
And the sooner those fugly old pig-snout BMW's are off the road -which won't take very long- the better!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I totally get what you’re saying. I feel like many male designers in the auto industry today are very effeminate.

You can tell by the way modern cars look. Current Toyota/Lexus products are the worst offenders by far, the insane bass mouth, catfish, insane trapezoid front ends will go down in the history as being one of the worst and ugliest designs ever. They are the Ford Edsel’s of our time. Hardly any of these cars on the road are cohesive looking, they look like a schizophrenic designed them. I understand trying to make cars look aggressive but many of them also very evil and mean. Who the hell thought that having front ends look like fish mouths is cool or even good looking? The current Malibu’s (Catfish) grill is absolutely hideous looking, the car looks nice from its side profile until you see that ugly face and wonder what the ***** were the stylist thinking?

The effeminate styling cues being the cutesy or feminine shapes. The happy face front grills with the big headlights. Back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s people used to be a lot more serious and the men used to be REAL men that liked to get their hands dirty and knew how to be tough guys.

Well that masculinity translated into many automotive styling cues back in the days. People even looked physically different than they do now, mostly because of the different races of people we have living in the U.S. and chemicals in our food supply that are probably creating more estrogen in men. Many cars back then looked very masculine and tough, lots of different shapes, and hard angles that gave cars not only aggressive styling, but also graceful and elegant touches too.

I believe once Japanese cars were being imported such as Toyo and Honda’s, it slowly started the trend towards cars looking childish and feminine. Many people bought them in droves, but that doesn’t mean they had good styling because they didn’t!! They were ugly and bland for the most part in comparison to an American and even a European car. People bought them because they were reliable, period. And that is pretty damn sad knowing there’s a lot of drivers out there that honestly can care less about how a car looks as long as it gets them where they need to go safely and soundly. I’m sorry but I can’t drive an ugly car, there’s no way in hell you’ll catch me in a Prius or a pansy ass Kia Soul! No offense.

The only true masculine looking cars on the road from what I can see are the Detroit’s 3 muscle cars. The Camaro, Challenger and the Mustang. Including the Chrysler 300 and probably the Chevy Impala.

The Japanese and Koreans vehicles not so much, if at all do they look manly.
Reputation x 1000

Old 06-24-2018, 03:46 AM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
I miss my 1987 Acura Integra with pop-up headlights. ❤️❤️❤️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive