Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 07:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct no inline 6 has dual exhaust it can’t.

Thats' BS. They certainly can. Many cars had I6s with true dual exhausts using split exhaust manifolds. Ever see the Chevy Stovebolt 6 with dual exhaust? No, because you live in a damn bubble.

And of course as has been mentioned, many imported I6s had split manifolds with dual exhaust. Like this Jaguar setup, stock for the E type:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Thats' BS. They certainly can. Many cars had I6s with true dual exhausts using split exhaust manifolds. Ever see the Chevy Stovebolt 6 with dual exhaust? No, because you live in a damn bubble.

And of course as has been mentioned, many imported I6s had split manifolds with dual exhaust. Like this Jaguar setup, stock for the E type:

I stand corrected but most modern I6 were single exhaust the dude exhaust I6 Chevy used was for their corvette when It came out and used the I6 dual exhaust until 1955. I was stateing modern I6 American made vehicles were single exhaust, how many on here are going to know about a dule exhaust I6 that was made before most on here were even born. Hell they stopped putting them in the corvette because they went with a V8 in 1955 the year I was born.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 AM

4,838 posts, read 2,946,372 times
Quote:
People don’t put on exhaust on their vehicles like the did in the 70’s you don’t see cars with glass packs or headers, or cherry bomb or thrsh mufflers. When these young kids put these cans on their rice burners they sound like a blender that’s out of control. Vehicles today with exception to the charger and challenger and the camero and the Mustang sound ridiculous if they had those type of exhaust.

The rice burners sound more like a bad case of digestive issues, hence fart can.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The rice burners sound more like a bad case of digestive issues, hence fart can.
Correct I think they are funny to listen to, sounds like the old vroom toy motor by MATTEL.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM

782 posts, read 850,709 times
Loved the sound of the VQ engine with stock exhaust on my G35 coupe.

Had a maxima with the same engine, and it sounded like a dull groan, it was awful.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:
I stand corrected.

THat's all you ever had to say. You really need to get out of your upper midwest bubble

As for me, some of the best sounding V6s are the VW VR6 and the Ford SVT Contour 2.5 V6. Even in stock form they are rumbly and really good sounding. As for inline 6s, a lot of older 6s sound good, like that Jag XKE and certain BMW I6s.

I guess growing up with a split of hot rods and vintage European/Japanese road racers/Formula cars gave me a different perspective on what sounds good. I like screaming 4 cyls at 7000+ rpm in a road race setting. Which means that cars that remind me of that sound good to my ears, just like a good V8 without overcamming them sounds good. My BMW 7 series has a custom exhaust to let the V8 rumble a bit at low speeds (quiet at idle) and rip when the revs come up. But I kind of miss the sound of a small bore race car.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,901,923 times
Quote:
People don’t put on exhaust on their vehicles like the did in the 70’s you don’t see cars with glass packs or headers, or cherry bomb or thrsh mufflers. When these young kids put these cans on their rice burners they sound like a blender that’s out of control. Vehicles today with exception to the charger and challenger and the camero and the Mustang sound ridiculous if they had those type of exhaust.
Those kids you speak of own 4 cylinder cars, hence the sound. Any 4 cyl will normally sound like that unless its a flat four found in, say, a WRX. To add to that statement, many of those cars are Civics, some of which rev up to 8K rpm and beyond, so they will inevitably sound high pitched.

FYI, its spelled "Camaro", not "Camero". Yikes.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,901,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
E39 M3? I must have missed that model.
Dang it. LOL My bad, I fat fingered that one! I meant E36! Not the M5 with the 5.0L.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Quiet is best IMHO!

Too much noise-pollution from all sources, including motorcycle and cars that have their exhaust designed/modified to make them extra noisy.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:28 AM

4,838 posts, read 2,946,372 times
Quote:
Correct I think they are funny to listen to, sounds like the old vroom toy motor by MATTEL.

It's a plague in this town, Ford's and Chevy's are not immune from what sounds like playing cards taped to bicycle wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive