Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM

4,562 posts, read 5,619,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
have no problem paying $100+ to fill the tank each time...
I don't understand people who judge a vehicle by how much it costs to fill the gas tank.

My pickup truck gets better mileage than my old SUV did, and holds nearly twice as much gasoline. Sure, the tally is higher when I fill the tank, but I can travel twice as far between fill-ups.

And the bigger tank makes it easier to maximize gas rewards discounts.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,248,450 times
There are F150s 4x4s sitting in the driveways of both my farm house and at my city home. I've owned more pickup trucks than I care to count in over 50 years of driving. I've owned them because trucks are typically more durable than the throwaway modern cars and they have a much better resale value. At least this is true here in west Texas and New Mexico where it's at least 100 miles to anywhere.

My current farm F150 has ac and heated seats, a moonroof, automatic running boards and a 36 gallon gas tank. Macho? Maybe but my wife also loves pickup trucks.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I don't understand people who judge a vehicle by how much it costs to fill the gas tank.
Paying to haul all that vehicle around when the load consists of one driver, mostly. No one expects a D7 Cat to get 40 mpg, but then, no one drives it 50 miles to the local bar, either.

The specific point you're challenging is those people who say a truck saves them soooo much money when they either don't care how much they burn or are actively spending many times what it would cost to occasionally rent a truck for trucky needs. And going through $100 tank a week in the meantime.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM

50,076 posts, read 46,646,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Paying to haul all that vehicle around when the load consists of one driver, mostly. No one expects a D7 Cat to get 40 mpg, but then, no one drives it 50 miles to the local bar, either.

The specific point you're challenging is those people who say a truck saves them soooo much money when they either don't care how much they burn or are actively spending many times what it would cost to occasionally rent a truck for trucky needs. And going through $100 tank a week in the meantime.
I don't think the typical commuter drives a truck. I have a whopping 8 mile one way commute, same as when I lived in Denver. If I had to drive 50+ in Denver log jam traffic now on a consistent basis I'd either move or drive a hybrid.... or commit suicide. I can't imagine trying to get around in blizzard conditions with a lil clown car with inches of clearance.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM

7,289 posts, read 6,868,811 times
I currently have a 67 cheve and a 97 ford pickups .

I also have Honda and Yamaha motorcycles and an 06 hundi .
Of all vehicles I prefer the motorcycles hands down. .
The only reason I have the hundi is that is was given to me for driving a friend to her medical appointments and dialysis.
If she could get in the truck I'd drive that . She certainly can't get on the bike..
Fuel economy is important however I value my time as well so trips to town usually include making several stops, making each trip worth while . The truck holds more stuff and heavier loads .

I mounted a cherry picker (boom crane) on the back and that makes the truck even handier .Every truck I own get's a crane . My life is worth that much to me. Even the hundi I built a small crane for lifting an electric wheel chair in and out of the trunk .

Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,063,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Strap it on the trunk

Deer hunting without a truck
All you needed afterwards was a good car wash.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

My pickup truck gets better mileage than my old SUV did, and holds nearly twice as much gasoline. Sure, the tally is higher when I fill the tank, but I can travel twice as far between fill-ups.

And the bigger tank makes it easier to maximize gas rewards discounts.
I listed several reasons, not just the cost of fuel.

Is that the only factor that you felt you could defend or did it just bother you the most?

Old 06-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Quietude.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 PM

4,562 posts, read 5,619,159 times
Talking I don't mind paying $100 to fill a 32 gallon tank when I only need to stop for gas once a month.

Quote:
No, the specific point I'm challenging is the people who think that their Ford Escape is so great because it literally doesn't cost as much to fill the tank, ignoring that they're filling up every 280 miles.

The only reason I care at all about fuel economy (or the lack thereof) is because it reduces range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I listed several reasons, not just the cost of fuel.
Is that the only factor that you felt you could defend or did it just bother you the most?
I've got nothing to defend, I was just pointing out that $$ per fill-up is a silly metric.

The lower cost to take your fuel gauge from "E" to "F" just means the manufacturer skimped on gas tank capacity.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-26-2018 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 06:53 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,825,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of us buy midsize to large SUVs, and Pickups due to one fact. Those little dinky things they call cars today, have shrunk down to being so uncomfortable we cannot get in and out of them, without being a contortionist. My old body, actually gets great pain trying to do so. And forget the back seat, there is not enough room for anything but children. At 6 '2" tall with a long body, I cannot sit up to drive them.
Shrunk? All cars & trucks are getting bigger with each generation. Us Americans are getting bigger too so maybe we aren't noticing.

The 8th generation Civic (currently on 10th generation) is larger than the Accords from the 80's. It's the same with trucks.

Look at the Civic bulk up through the years in comparison to older generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive