U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:38 PM

889 posts, read 389,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Honestly CL is amateur night compared to what I'm used to (I've been selling various items - mostly golf clubs - on eBay for close to 20 years now and CL is sad some times how low the standards are there from everything to details to photos and contacting people).
Craigslist connects buyers and sellers. It does not check either one for honesty. Caveat emptor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 04:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,661,948 times
a. A good photograph (s) of a clean car's interior and exterior that shows the positives about the car.

b. Never, ever, a photo that shows any of the fingers on the foreground of the person taking the that photo. Just looking at the dirty finger with a fingernail filled with grime is enough for most buyers to ignore the pitch sale.

c. A photo that does not show trash nor anything else but the car. Not even a nude nor a clothed girl, or some male stud (whatever the case may be) sitting on it. After all, you are selling the car, not the trash, nor background, nor the person next to it.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM

9,523 posts, read 7,782,324 times
BUT, I have seen many ads on DL featuring a Jeep or something similar, with a nice looking female next to it, stating that it comes with a "wench".
I am never sure whether it is referring to the girl or the piece of machinery (a "winch") on the front bumper...
Perhaps when it says "12,000 lb. wench" that makes it apparent.
Or does it???

Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,617,912 times
A carfax on an 18 year old car? Don't bother.

Put lots of photos on the ad. Make it clear that this is a CASH ONLY sale.

Be prepared to meet the dregs of society.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,574,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
A carfax on an 18 year old car? Don't bother.
Huh?

Absolutely do a Carfax.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 AM

3,817 posts, read 1,617,912 times
It would never occur to me to ask for a carfax on an 18 year old car. Maybe other people would... I dunno.

In my experience, when a car is 15+ years old and/or 150,000+ miles, standard car-buying rules no longer necessarily apply. People just make their best judgment of vehicle condition. You can't expect reliable records on a vehicle that age.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,578,331 times
Man, paranoia runs rampant around here. I just sold my BMW on CL. Guy came to my house and drove it. Handed me half the price in cash. Came the next day with the rest of the cash and a trailer to take it home on (since I have to keep the plates to turn in). Very simple transaction and typical of my CL transactions. I had it for sale for a week and got 3 calls, 2 test drives (with the last one having cash on hand to do the deal) and no lowballers, tire kickers, or scammers. Priced it right, took lots of high quality pictures, and took a week to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Craigslist Car Selling Tips?-img_2321.jpg  

Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 AM

4,393 posts, read 4,037,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Huh?

Absolutely do a Carfax.
True, but Carfax only reports what has been sent to them. Its not uncommon to see a car that has been wrecked or even totaled twice and not even show up on a car fax.

For a 2000 model car, I wouldnt expect much more than that being a back up car unless the seller has the last 5-10 years of maintenance records.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 12,903 times
I have sold 3 of my cars on craiglist. I always make sure that I post atleast 5 images of my car including interiors and under-the-hood. Also the tyre conditions. Best of luck for your sale

Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 972,283 times
Something strange happened to me today.

I sold two of the three cars I had on CL today. I had been trying to sell them for over a month and I sold them both today.

But that wasn't the strange thing. The second buyer, a Latino fella who told me he was going to take the car/SUV to El Salvador, or something like that. No harm, no foul. I told him I didn't care what he did with the car after I sold it to him.

So when we got the DMV, I went there thinking this guy probably isn't going to be able to buy it because MN just passed a law within the last year that a BUYER has to have insurance on a car they don't even own yet (try figuring that bureaucratic crap out if you can..) but to my surprise, they let him do nothing! Not show insurance, or anything like that, and they even let him take the original title.

I don't know if I'm losing my mind or not, but I could have sworn that I was forced to have proof of insurance before I bought, and I sure as heck didn't get to walk out with the original title the last couple cars I've bought.

What I'm saying is...bureaucrats apparently have now given more leeway to non-citizens than their very own tax-paying citizens.

Whatever. He paid me, and that is that. But never underestimate our government for acting like first rate -ss--les to their very own tax-paying citizens and giving more leeway to non-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or