Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:55 AM

61,019 posts, read 85,838,736 times

Advertisements

OK, then. Let's go back on topic

Would you tip the people who fix your flat tire for free at Sam's Club or Costco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OK, then. Let's go back on topic

Would you tip the people who fix your flat tire for free at Sam's Club or Costco?
I have had flat tires changed by AAA. No tip. Nor when locked out and AAA comes to unlock vehicle.

But when I had to be towed and I have the dog with me AND I ask for a ride home after vehicle dropped off at my local mechanic shop - I do tip the driver $20.00. Haven't done this in many years as I have no breakdowns in many years. I switched from used Ford pickup truck to Chevrolet pickup truck.

As far as purchasing new tires - no.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So now the cheapskates get to call everyone else stupid?

Actually, it appears that "stupidity" has somehow softened itself to the nongrammatic "a nonsense."

Feel free to voice your opinion, even link to another's poorly written tirade but make no mistake about it, Americans are used to the tipping norm and widely favor it. Over the past decade we have seen countless restaurants, chain and otherwise, make a big publicity splash in announcing their "new" no-tipping policy only to reverse that decision within months. Why would that happen if the link was "really hard not to agree with?"

It would happen because customers get better service using the tipping convention and the servers are happier earning their tips rather than being automatons with equal pay for unequal work. When tips were eliminated prices were raised, but not all of the excess food charge went to the servers but it all came out of the pockets of the customers - and then some! That's right, the customers paid more for the food and that also increased the sales tax. In a place where sales tax is eight percent and twenty percent was added to the cost in lieu of a tip the customer ended up paying a total of $129.60 for a hundred dollars

worth of food. "A nonsense" for sure!

Bingo. If a person has the ability to tip someone well, and is generous enough to want to do it, how can we find fault with that kind gesture ? I see some really cheap, cheap people in my business, always looking for a way to pinch that penny till it screams. Others are not so tight with their money and will gladly pay for what they perceive as a good value.

I consider myself a good tipper. When I eat out, I always go beyond the normal 20%, especially if the server was attentive and friendly. I also tip the guy who did the actual mounting of my tires, as well as paying the business for them doing that. And of course, I tip the delivery people who bring pizza, etc.

But you are right, some people are just CHEAP !!!

Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,887,295 times
No, because they are just doing their job, not going "above and beyond" their job description.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:59 AM

9,354 posts, read 4,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

I tip them, but I tip pretty much everyone. In my younger years I had all sorts of entry level jobs and appreciate how hard these folks have to work. Now that I'm older and my financial situation is pretty comfortable, tipping is my way of redistributing wealth without being forced to do so by the government.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,326,747 times
no

Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
Quote:
Of course not. It's not like the "free" tire repair is coming out of their pocket and the cost has already been included in the price of the rest of the goods and services they charge. They're being paid to do the job already, why would you tip them for it? Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store? Do you tip the techs at Jiffy Lube for changing your oil? Tip the garbage man for picking up the trash?

Wait staff are paid tips because they're paid a fraction of minimum wage. Tire techs at Costco make $12-22 for doing the job.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM
KCZ

4,654 posts, read 3,596,339 times
I wouldn't tip at any tire store, Costco or otherwise, for routine service. But I'd give a substantial tip to any towing or tire service guy who changed my flat in the pouring rain or bad snow storm.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:57 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,543,311 times
Quote:
I would but that just how I roll. Any time somebody hops-to and bails me out of a jam that I am either unwilling or unable to deal with myself probably deserves a little something extra. (There are exceptions obviously.)

Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM

14,183 posts, read 14,535,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I would but that just how I roll. Any time somebody hops-to and bails me out of a jam that I am either unwilling or unable to deal with myself probably deserves a little something extra. (There are exceptions obviously.)
I operate the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive