Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
You mean drivers will need to be more careful. The article said there are now more walkers than ever. We shouldn’t need to have flags available for people to carry at crosswalks yet we do because so many drivers don’t even flinch when approaching a crosswalk or if they see a pedestrian on the side of the street. They keep right on the gas going 10 - 15 over.
Yes drivers need to be more careful and so do pedestrians. People always want to throw up their hands and blame others while ignoring their own responsibilities. Walking out into traffic staring at your phone and not noticing the red hand telling you to stop, or just walking out randomly in the middle of a busy street and expecting SUVs to stop for you is just plain stupid. It is like walking in front of a train and expecting it to stop for you. Everything is more dangerous (or at least appears so because of better reporting and information collection and availability). However instead of being more cautious, people are being less so. With pedestrians and drivers it is a combination of feeling entitled and inability to look away from a phone that is increasing the danger more than the difference in speed, power and configuration of vehicles. Having your legs snapped by a bumper and being smashed against a windshield is not significantly less damaging than being pushed under a vehicle. In fact, unless you are snagged and dragged or run over by the tires, you have better odds of escaping with fewer injuries by having a high clearance vehicle pass right over you.

I work in a City and it is utterly amazing to me how frequently so many people just walk out into he street without looking up, or start walking out as soon as the white walk light appears without looking up to make sure the oncoming vehicles are actually stopping for the red light. Roughly 90% of people walk along the street staring at their phone. I still cannot discern what they are looking at, or how they can even see their screen in the glare from the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Nearly every time I'm almost hit while walking or biking, it's an SUV.

When I was almost hit while driving the other day it was by an old man in a car. On his phone .

I wonder if the fact that SUV's are popular with "soccer mom" types and are usually full of kids was a factor considered. Distracted driving not by technology but by booger-eating kids.

I'm thankful for the few crosswalk signs that are equipped with flashing lights when the button is pressed. They're the standard cross walk in the middle of the street kind, not the kind at an intersection. I wish we had more of these in town.

I'm amazed at the amount of people I see run red lights while I'm trying to cross. I've punched a few windows and quarter panels as they're passing me within inches.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Yeah, every wreck I've ever had involved an at-fault van full of kids distracting the driver. Should make regulations ensuring those are hands free and the driver isn't reaching back to get that dropped pacifer/juice/snack/etc.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Sounds like a great reason not to be a pedestrian.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
It would be helpful to drivers of ANY vehicle if pedestrians didn't insist on jaywalking while dressed in dark colors after dark.
I just think about it as thinning the herd.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The issue is that drivers are impatient.
Actually, the issue is that few drivers (and few pedestrians) understand physics.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
A few things;

-what are they calling an "SUV"?

-percent increase means nothing; what are the absolute numbers? Increasing from two to four is a 100% increase, but increasing from 3000 to 3750 is a 25% increase; which one is worse?

-in 2015, the article states there were 4.2 million people who walked to work, so I imagine we can inflate this number more by those who walk for various other reason aside from work. 5987 pedestrians were killed in 2016. Really, how serious of an issue is this?

-the article says "since 2009", but they do not include the fact that 2009 was among the lowest number of miles driven that year (great recession), whereas 2016 was a record number of miles driven.

Would have to read the actual study instead of the spin brought on by reporters.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:12 AM

129 posts, read 101,770 times
So many people just read studies and statistics and not question or research how the data was obtained. I can give you an example of wrong conclusions based on results of a study. It was found that 4 times as many accidents involved the Ford F150. Many jumped to the conclusion that the F150 is an unsafe truck. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot more F150's on the road than other trucks and that was the reason for the results of the study. When corrected for number of models of trucks, the F150 was found to be one of the safer ones.

You see stuff like this all the time. I keep reading that this product is a dud due to the number of people reporting a problem online compared to other brands. Yet no one bothers to see the sales figure. A product that sells 500,000 units is bound to have more problem than a product that sells 10,000 units. Did you know that I drug company can do 50 tests until they get the few results in their favor even if the majority of test did not produce favorable results? No one bothers to check the health and lifestyle of the study group either. So many variable affect the results of studies and yet when we hear that more F150's are involved in accidents than any other trucks, most will jump to the wrong conclusion.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
How exactly are SUVs killing pedestrians do these SUVs have a mind of their own and decide to mow down these pedestrians, no it’s these idiots who can’t get their faces out of their cell phones I’ve seen plenty of idiots who cross streets without looking, and don’t get me going on these j walkers or people on their bicycles riding in the medium and disregarding stop lights. So again how can brainless SUVs kill pedestrians I’ve seen plenty of sedans also kill pedestrians also. And what about the distracted drivers I guess that’s the SUVs fault also. This tread is a joke blaming SUVs for killing pedestrians.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
How exactly are SUVs killing pedestrians do these SUVs have a mind of their own and decide to mow down these pedestrians, no it’s these idiots who can’t get their faces out of their cell phones I’ve seen plenty of idiots who cross streets without looking, and don’t get me going on these j walkers or people on their bicycles riding in the medium and disregarding stop lights. So again how can brainless SUVs kill pedestrians I’ve seen plenty of sedans also kill pedestrians also. And what about the distracted drivers I guess that’s the SUVs fault also. This tread is a joke blaming SUVs for killing pedestrians.
Obviously you have never been in an SUV. They do whatever they please. The driver is just along for the ride. When you SUV is going to do whatever it wants to anyway, well, may as well look at facebook. Seeing whether you got another 18 likes is far more important anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive