Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I don't think a motion sensor would work well with young babies or sleeping children. The weight sensor probably wouldn't work that well either. Is an 18lb weight an empty car seat with a diaper bag in it? Or an 11lb car seat and a 7lb baby?
OK just have it always function. Why would you not want your car to be ventilated? Because you're planning to trade it in as soon as it's "no longer new"? OK. So you turn the feature off. Why the snowflakism over a good feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
OK just have it always function. Why would you not want your car to be ventilated? Because you're planning to trade it in as soon as it's "no longer new"? OK. So you turn the feature off. Why the snowflakism over a good feature?
I'm fine with it as long as it's something you can turn on and off.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
While this system might help, there are far too many components that would be prone to failure. At which point you'd have a products liability suit against the car companies and components manufacturers. In my opinion, the onus is on the motorist and our society needs to be educated in more common sense. The more we automate things out of convenience, the less skilled and capable our population will be at the task. Just think about how "unintended acceleration" frequency has correlated with the inability to drive a manual transmission. How folks can no longer efficiently parallel park a car now that many cars are capable of self-parking.

I think the current rule of fining motorists and allowing bystanders to lawfully break the window is as good as it we can allow for now.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
An interior motion detection system that, when triggered, calls you & first responders.

OK, couple the motion detection system with other technology such as a camera system that recognizes if there is a child or infant in the back. It isn't foolproof, but it would help.

A Tesla or other fully electric vehicle might just start up the AC when motion is detected in addition to calling you & first responders.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
As someone else already said, how about not leaving the baby in the car?

What about when it's freezing outside? What about the baby? Turn the motor and heat on? What if you run out of gas, call in an Amazon drone to fill 'er up and then turn the motor on? What about the exhaust fumes?

What if there's a flood? What about the baby? Automatically inflate the pontoons? Where will the baby end up floating to?

What if you talk to your baby while you're driving? Talk you your baby when you park the car. Enjoy being with your baby even though they can't offer their opinion or answer your questions. Engage the baby in every single aspect of your life, as if the baby is important to you, and you will never "forget about" the baby.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I hear all these people say their children are the most important thing in their lives. Apparently that becomes a falsehood when shopping.

Tie a damn piece of string between your baby and you while driving. Maybe, just maybe, your child tugging on a piece of string when you bail for that Super Savings Sale! will remind you of how important they are. Or so you say.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
As someone else already said, how about not leaving the baby in the car?

What about when it's freezing outside? What about the baby? Turn the motor and heat on? What if you run out of gas, call in an Amazon drone to fill 'er up and then turn the motor on? What about the exhaust fumes?

What if there's a flood? What about the baby? Automatically inflate the pontoons? Where will the baby end up floating to?

What if you talk to your baby while you're driving? Talk you your baby when you park the car. Enjoy being with your baby even though they can't offer their opinion or answer your questions. Engage the baby in every single aspect of your life, as if the baby is important to you, and you will never "forget about" the baby.
It doesn’t work that way. Most hot car deaths are due to someone being off their routine. Either the father takes their kid to daycare one day and zoned out and takes their kid to work instead, of a grandmother or babysitter, etc. Just telling everybody to not be stupid doesn’t do anything for the kid.

Either way, it doesn’t make sense in this day and age to just let a car get to 180 degrees inside a car. They could make longer lasting materials and a more comfortable car using simple technology that already exist. Paying extra for a car has apparently not been stopping anyone from cars lately anyway.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:17 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
While this system might help, there are far too many components that would be prone to failure. At which point you'd have a products liability suit against the car companies and components manufacturers. In my opinion, the onus is on the motorist and our society needs to be educated in more common sense. The more we automate things out of convenience, the less skilled and capable our population will be at the task. Just think about how "unintended acceleration" frequency has correlated with the inability to drive a manual transmission. How folks can no longer efficiently parallel park a car now that many cars are capable of self-parking.

I think the current rule of fining motorists and allowing bystanders to lawfully break the window is as good as it we can allow for now.
That’s like saying why add seat belts when it’s just one more thing to fail?

Self parking software sucks. People aren’t bad at parallel parking because the feature spoiled them. They’re bad because they weren’t ever good to begin with.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
People don’t intentionally leave their kids in the car. That’s like saying don’t crash your car and you won’t need seatbelts or insurance.
Your post doesn’t make sense.

And I call Bs. People leave intentionally their kids and pets in cars all the time. Plenty of stories out there of people leaving kids n a car to go shopping, party, drinking etc. so people DO leave kids and pets n cars intentionally. Sure some it’s unintentional.....although I can’t imagine someone being THAT stupid to forget they have a kid or their pet in a car....anyway

When I have kids or pets in a car with me I KNOW exactly who or what is in my car at all times. I have never walked away and left a child or a pet in a car by forgetting they are there.

Wouldn’t having a sensor that voice activates “occupant in vehicle” when there is a weight on the seat? It can easily be integrated in the airbag system as seats now have weight sensors. So all these forgetful retards can hear that voice as they get out of the car. I guess we need to protect kids and pets from their dumbass parents and pet owners.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:46 PM

272 posts, read 270,767 times
Bad idea to run it off of the battery if it were a fan of some sort. Cracking windows is one thing, but a fan would kill the battery unless it had some sort of supplemental power generation (solar) or a hybrid engine (some Prius models come stock with remote pre-cool a/c).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive