Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, where can I buy one of those?

I haven't driven a sedan since a 92 Passat. Had a couple coupes and two-seaters and then hatches. Majority of sedans are boring cars. Where they're offered in a hatch/wagon version that's personally what always what I'd by. Where they're not, I'd usually buy something that is instead. Mustang sedan would be a possible exception. Reasonably sized RWD with sedan with a 300 hp turbo four starting at the mid 20s or 450 hp V8 for $35k, that's a little more interesting than your typical Camcords I'd just go buy something else instead of now isn't it?

https://www.motor1.com/news/237009/f...-electric-suv/

Maybe next year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,163 times
Ford is making a mistake.

Unlike Ford CUV/SUV trucks, they have been lazy about making compelling sedans and updating sedans. Sedans were still 17.5% (101k) of Ford sales for the 1st Q of 2018. Sedans are forecast to remain around 27% for the near future in the US. This move will only lower customer visits at the dealerships and reduce SUV/CUV/truck sales as there will be less reasons to visit Ford stores. Lots of those Escape/Edge sales start out as Focus/Fusion sales. Ford has a profitability problem and it is due to waste in the plants. They should deal with that and then see if they really need to dump 17.5% of their unit sales. Maybe by closing the sedan plants Ford can reset union contracts in those plants? Maybe this is the real reason for dumping the sedans.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The Nissan Rogue is on of the top selling small SUVs in the country.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ing-car-267949
I dont know why. I truly think those that buy a rogue do so because they didn’t test drive anything else.

My wife leased a Nissan Rogue and could not wait to turn it in. Very unrefined and noisy powertrain. At 30k miles the awful cvt transmission starting whining. Took it in and the tech informed us that these cvt’s require a bit more maintenance than a traditional automatic.

During the cold winter months under acceleration while the vehicle was still cold it sounded like there was a diesel under the hood.

Last edited by louie0406; 07-05-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 01:42 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
As a Mustang fanboi, I can say that this rendering looks hideous! A Mustang should never be made into an SUV, period.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Quote:
It’s all about profit there is more profit in a SUV and pickups and it’s not Ford’s fault that their cars are not selling simple fact no matter what you do to a car it’s still a car and no one wants a car no more. Ford knows the market better than we do my god it’s their business they know what people want and cars are not it. Hell Chrysler is also getting rid of some cars along with GM it’s all about profit and the American automakers are loseing money on cars that are sitting on dealer lots. And the Taurus is not a huge car it’s a midsize there are no huge cars no more all midsize. The old Lincoln town car was a huge car as was the Crown Victoria. Face it cars are not selling in the USA like they once did. They are not going to bring back the old land yachts so you can put that notion to rest.

The Taurus is 202 inches long and longer than the Explorer, that is not midsized at all, there are still plenty of sedan sales out there, as Toyota sold 387k Camrys last year, 377K Civics were sold, 322K Accords, 300K Corollas and 200K+ Altimas, Sentra and Fusions.

I do think that selling a crossover on the same platform as the sedan is what is killing the sales of sedans as the CUV will give slightly less mileage but more cargo space, but to abandon sedans is insane and will come back to bite Ford in the Azz big time. not everyone wants sloppy handling CUV's and SUV's.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
Quote:
This is why Ford is not making sedans except the Mustang anymore read what sales of SUVs and pickups were for June of this year.

Ford Motor

Edmunds forecast: 0.8 percent

Cox Automotive forecast: -1 percent

Actual results: 1.2 percent

The Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker sold 230,635 vehicles for the month. Ford's namesake brand was up 1.1 percent, while the Lincoln luxury brand was up 2.8 percent.

SUV sales increased 8.9 percent, while sales of pickups and vans increased 3.2 percent. But sales of passenger cars fell 14 percent. The company recently announced plans to discontinue the Fusion, Fiesta, Taurus and Focus sedans within a few years.

The F-series pickup lineup, the most popular model in the U.S., is on pace to top 2004's full-year record of 939,511, Ford said.

The automaker sold 79,204 F-series pickups in June, up 1.7 percent. Sales of the vehicle rose 4.9 percent for the first six months
They still make the Fusion

Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Ford is making a mistake.

Unlike Ford CUV/SUV trucks, they have been lazy about making compelling sedans and updating sedans. Sedans were still 17.5% (101k) of Ford sales for the 1st Q of 2018. Sedans are forecast to remain around 27% for the near future in the US. This move will only lower customer visits at the dealerships and reduce SUV/CUV/truck sales as there will be less reasons to visit Ford stores. Lots of those Escape/Edge sales start out as Focus/Fusion sales. Ford has a profitability problem and it is due to waste in the plants. They should deal with that and then see if they really need to dump 17.5% of their unit sales. Maybe by closing the sedan plants Ford can reset union contracts in those plants? Maybe this is the real reason for dumping the sedans.
I glad you know more about Ford than Ford dose they are a multi billion dollar corporation and if you think you know more than they do about their product line up than I’m sure they would love hearing from you since you’re such an expert in this field. All you are is a union hatter and probably wish you were making what a UAW worker from Ford makes, I could be wrong bur hey you have all the answers about the automotive industry. And just for your information Ford cannot just willingly rework the contract with the UAW and also those plants that make the sedans will be converted to make SUVs so I guess your not a automotive expert if so you would of known this.

Last edited by easy62; 07-05-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Here in the Toronto I see tons of Mercedes and BMW sedans...people are buying them
like crazy, lots of Toyota sedans too.
Ford does not compete with BMW and Mercedes and Toyota is out selling Ford that is why they are doing away with sedans to save money.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
They still make the Fusion
Read this.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-america-2022/

Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 PM

17,145 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Could it be that Japanese/Korean/Euro sedans aren't selling as much due to the fact that owners are still driving their perfectly fine previous models? I still see TONS of late 2000s early 2010s Altimas, Camrys and Accords on the road. Same with C-Class MB among others. The same can't be said for American sedans of the same years.

Heck, I drove around my 2008 Altima that I had in college for ages, well past the 300k mile mark, and only sold it because I got a really good deal on a 2014 some years ago, which I still drive around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive