Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
They're not always posted, for example Texas has no "Minimum Speed" signs
Pretty sure I have yet to see such sign in California. I believe it’s implied you can’t drive so slow you’re impeding traffic. I know you can get a ticket for driving too slow. My mom got one.
Maybe it’s a back east thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
There are minimum speed limits posted on highways / interstates in every state. On the interstate it is typically 45mph in ideal conditions. You can go slower but only if conditions warrant.

there are also signs, again not always posted, where if you are going below that minimum speed, you must use you emergency flashers to indicate to cars behind you that you are going at the slower rate of speed. i have seen those signs in pennsylvania on the turnpikes.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:41 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was watching this reality show and a cop pulled some guy over, for a "no front (license) plate" violation. The car was registered in another state, which only issues one tag; the cop apparently cited the driver, saying that in that state (the state in which he was stopped) requires two plates (front and back).
I'm thinking that this is a b.s. violation. How could you ticket someone driving a car, registered in another state, no less, for something that's not even required in that state? I live in New Jersey, which requires two plates, but if I'm driving a car registered in, say, South Carolina which issues only one plate, I don't think they can enforce the "two plates" law.

This is the problem. I doubt it will hold up.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Sure hope people from Florida don't drive through that town. Could be a problem for many. Florida is a one plate state.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
They're not always posted, for example Texas has no "Minimum Speed" signs
Sure we do. Almost every freeway has them posted...

Attached Thumbnails
License tag laws-170824_wn_gutman4_16x9_992.jpg  

Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 AM

93 posts, read 99,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sure we do. Almost every freeway has them posted...
Interesting, never seen them in DFW. I shouldn't have assumed it was the same for the whole state

Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there are also signs, again not always posted, where if you are going below that minimum speed, you must use you emergency flashers to indicate to cars behind you that you are going at the slower rate of speed. i have seen those signs in pennsylvania on the turnpikes.
And there are also states where it is ILLEGAL to drive with flashers on. Just as it is illegal in some states to drive with 'parking lights' on. It's a crazy country.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there are also signs, again not always posted,
A sign is either posted or it's not. If it's not posted, then it's not a sign.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
I'm assuming, you are talking about this case and it was reported to them:

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ate/751565002/

Quote:
The sheriff's office, meanwhile, said this week the deputy had other reasons for the stop — like a brake light being out.

Cpl. James Craigmyle, public information officer for the sheriff's office, said viewers likely didn't get the whole story, as "Live PD" producers edited the footage due to "time constraints."

"Based on the information that aired on LivePD, we understand how viewers could mistake this as an unlawful stop, however due to time constraints, viewers only get to see a portion of the car stop and do not see everything that the officer does," Craigmyle said. "This is still an open investigation and no other details can be released at this time. We will continue to review video pertaining to this stop."

Old 07-08-2018, 05:49 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Interstate commerce clause. If a car is legal in its state of registration, it is reciprocally legal everywhere.

There could be conflicts. If State A defines "street legal" as capable of 40 mph, but your are driving in State B where there is a minimum speed of 45 on some or all highways, there could be as gray area.

This isn't quite accurate. I don't know if any state would permit or any court would uphold a ticket for a state that only issues one plate. However, courts have upheld that as a reason to stop someone and if the cop finds something else, it is still a valid stop.

There are a number of states that allow ticketing of other violations, even if the car is legal in the state of registration. Most notably, tint laws. Some states call for a violation only if the tint is not legal in the state of registration, while others consider it a violation if you violate the laws of the state you are in, regardless of where you are registered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive