Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:37 PM

22,579 posts, read 24,400,027 times

Advertisements

I do...........but I also look both ways before proceeding through an intersection, from a red-light, and I don't tailgate, I am just a weirdo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,074,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In the analogy stop means the same thing. You get in the habit of driving through a stop sign then you’re more likely to drive through into a crash. The habit works both ways. You get in the habit of rolling through the stop sign intersections. I am in the habit of coming to a full stop. I’d rather be in the habit of doing something correctly than in the habit of doing something that endangers the lives of others. As for turn signals, perhaps if those other people got into the habit of using them properly then there would be less accidents. Instead they are in the habit of never using them.

It's an idiotic analogy because no one gets in the habit of stabbing a person or needs to be in the habit of not stabbing a person in order not to do it. And you don't get in the habit of rolling through because it requires you to look every single time to know if it is clear or not. Certainly there are locations where visibility is limited and you need to stop. There are also locations where you can clearly see if anything is coming or not as you cover the last ten or fifteen feet. You don't proceed unless you ascertain that it is clear, stop or roll. If you're not competent enough to know the difference maybe you're not competent enough to know when it is safe enough to pull out, stop or roll.

A better analogy might be the automatic doors at a department store. If it's already open or opening as you approach, do you keep on walking? Or do you make it a habit to come to a full stop and look at the open door for a few seconds before walking through?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's true. A while back, I sat next to a busy intersection near our university. This was on a Sunday afternoon, so there wasn't any rush-hour traffic or a need to get anywhere fast. I counted 235 vehicles going through this 4-way stop intersection, at 15th & Agate Sts., during a one-hour period. Of these cars, not a single one came to a full stop. Half of them wouldn't even have qualified as California stops. Nine of the cars were city police vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How many accidents did you witness as a result?

Are you implying that traffic citations should be issued only when accidents are caused by violations? Or do you mean to say, that only the wimps who can't judge for themselves, about the safety of running stop signs, should be bound by the regulations and have to always stop? Maybe a special category of "super-drivers" should be established, who would be exempt from the regulations that ordinary folks had to obey? There seems to be an abundance of these self-imagined "super-drivers" in my area.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 07-09-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
I stop but have noticed lately that more and more drivers do a rolling stop instead of a complete stop. Everyone's in a hurry these days, or so it seems

I've been doing rolling stops since I started driving. And that was a long time ago.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Are you implying that traffic citations should be issued only when accidents are caused by violations? Or do you mean to say, that only the wimps who can't judge for themselves, about the safety of running stop signs, should be bound by the regulations and have to always stop? Maybe a special category of "super-drivers" should be established, who would be exempt from the regulations that ordinary folks had to obey? There seems to be an abundance of these self-imagined "super-drivers" in my area.

I will translate the above for those who didn't understand.

It says, "No, I didn't see any accidents because of it."

Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
It depends on the intersection or where the stop sign is for me, if I have clear visibility in all directions and can see no other cars are in the vicinity, sure, its fine to do a rolling stop, but if Im at an intersection with many other cars in all directions or I visibility in one or more directions isnt good, i will come to complete stop, it just depends, no two intersections or stop sign locations are the same.

People need to use common sense more driving imo, if a cop busts you for not coming to a complete stop and visibility in all directions was good, that is just a scam to get money out of you, they are not really concerned about health or safety of drivers, its more about taking advantage of people thru a 'legal technicality' so to speak.

There are many areas in my town where stop signs are not necessary, but they place them there anyway.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,352,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
In my city there are traffic cams all over the place and they record these infractions. The fine is $250.
And when the city realizes what a great revenue source this is, they will place stop signs in all sorts of places where they are not needed.

Many stop signs exist only to slow traffic down (so-called "traffic calming"), not to prevent accidents. Some stop signs can just as easily be yield signs. There is no difference in safety between approaching a stop-controlled intersection at 2 mph and coming to a complete stop, provided the driver is actually looking for conflicting traffic.

And there's the cops that issue tickets even when you came to a complete stop, because they didn't see it.

As someone else said, "The problem is failure to yield, not failure to stop."

Old 07-10-2018, 08:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,074,962 times
Quote:

No, I'm suggesting that some rules have a direct effect on safety and other rules are feel-good "security theater" safety, or worse, revenue streams.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM

10,437 posts, read 7,537,239 times
They do around here. There's a 4 way stop that I encounter at least once a week, and I've never seen anyone do a "rolling stop" through it. In fact, I've never seen anyone not follow the proper protocol for yielding to the next driver either.

We have another 4 way intersection where cross traffic is supposed to yield to up and down hill traffic, yet this one was frequently misunderstood. So, a new sign was put in with more explicit language and compliance has become practically 100%.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,550,073 times
sort of a "I've never been involved in an accident but I've seen thousands(through the rear view mirror)".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive