Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM

17,543 posts, read 17,485,812 times

Advertisements

Many of today’s FWD vehicles have a hood that drops off to the point that the driver can’t actually see the hood from the driver’s seat. I’ve learned to adjust my driving for this. I wonder how much this lack of visibility of the front end of the vehicle has played a part in some accidents, especially in parking lots? Is there anything that could be added to the front end that would help the driver to know where the front end is located but won’t impede road visibility nor aerodynamics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,369,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Many of today’s FWD vehicles have a hood that drops off to the point that the driver can’t actually see the hood from the driver’s seat. I’ve learned to adjust my driving for this. I wonder how much this lack of visibility of the front end of the vehicle has played a part in some accidents, especially in parking lots? Is there anything that could be added to the front end that would help the driver to know where the front end is located but won’t impede road visibility nor aerodynamics?
I got my drivers license in 1971 so I was driving those large cars with the big hoods It was harder back then to judge distance because of those hoods especially making a tight turn into a parking lot or parking in a garage, the cars today are much easier than the boats I was driving especially my old Buick Electra 225 now that’s a boat but shus a beautiful and smooth riding vehicle I miss that vehicle and when you stepped on the gas the big block 455 four barrel carb would get up and go. So today vehicles are much safer to park and turn imo.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM

6,429 posts, read 9,767,907 times
The old Datsun 260-280z were really bad. Hard to find one that wasnt hit in the front because of that.

Its nothing new nor related to fwd.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I got my drivers license in 1971 so I was driving those large cars with the big hoods It was harder back then to judge distance because of those hoods especially making a tight turn into a parking lot or parking in a garage, the cars today are much easier than the boats I was driving especially my old Buick Electra 225 now that’s a boat but shus a beautiful and smooth riding vehicle I miss that vehicle and when you stepped on the gas the big block 455 four barrel carb would get up and go. So today vehicles are much safer to park and turn imo.
My first car in 1968 was a 1958 Chrysler. There was no way you could see the front over that massive hood, but the massive steel bumper came to a point, and it would always win if it hit anything. It just takes time to be able to judge the distance when you get a different vehicle. It probably would be a big help to have a 2nd "backup camera" in the front, but I've been driving over 50 years without it and not had any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood/bonnet drop off-58ch.png  

Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM

17,543 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My first car in 1968 was a 1958 Chrysler. There was no way you could see the front over that massive hood, but the massive steel bumper came to a point, and it would always win if it hit anything. It just takes time to be able to judge the distance when you get a different vehicle. It probably would be a big help to have a 2nd "backup camera" in the front, but I've been driving over 50 years without it and not had any problems.
I was thinking of something like a magnetic flagpole to mount at the end of both fenders and then extend to a height that a driver could see from the driver’s seat. Doesn’t have to be a flag,...just something visible enough to give a driver a frame of reference as to where their front end is located. Unfortunately some drivers have poor spatial awareness and can’t accurately judge distances.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was thinking of something like a magnetic flagpole to mount at the end of both fenders and then extend to a height that a driver could see from the driver’s seat. Doesn’t have to be a flag,...just something visible enough to give a driver a frame of reference as to where their front end is located. Unfortunately some drivers have poor spatial awareness and can’t accurately judge distances.
I've seen any number of SUV drivers who apparently couldn't tell within a foot or two where there vehicle ended, hood drop-off didn't seem to be a factor.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:24 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,369,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yep driving just about long as you have people today could not drive what we had because they have been spoiled by all the new safety features of today’s vehicle unlike us airbag what was that and back in my day your back up cam was turning your neck and looking lol lol. My drivers ed car was a big ole 1970 Pontiac Catalina 4 door now that car had a big ole front hood and bumper.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM

23,075 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've seen any number of SUV drivers who apparently couldn't tell within a foot or two where there vehicle ended, hood drop-off didn't seem to be a factor.
Even more telling is that other drivers, staring right at that SUV, can't tell either. I learned to drive in a brilliant red, 70's era Pontiac Grand Safari station wagon. That thing took a city block to park and attracted fender benders like a magnet.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

moving those old boats around was more about the length of the cars and the wheelbases that the size of the hoods. not to mention that starting in 1973 the required 5mph bumpers disappeared under those hoods.

adn you are right, to a point, most of today vehicles are easier to park than the older ones. the big SUVs and trucks are still tough to park though, smaller spaces and larger size dont mix well to be sure.

and getting out of parking spaces was even tougher than getting in, you almost need a tugboat to get out into the parking stream where you can maneuver those big boats.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
I've owned a number of RX7's and their hoods all slope. When I lived in Philadelphia, I constantly had to park the car leaving no more than 5" in front and 5" in back. I found it no harder than any other car.

A good driver is familiar with the dimensions of his car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive