Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,021,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Tractor trailer and school buses usually do the speed limit or less here, dump trucks, on the other hand, will fly down the road doing 80 throwing rocks everywhere.
In 50 years of driving, I've never seen a dump truck going 80 mph. Dump trucks, and cement trucks, are usually the slowest vehicles on the road, and the slowest to gain speed after waiting at red lights. They routinely drive 40 - 45 mph on expressways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,185,497 times
It's unexpected when a semi is going the speed limit or faster, but it can happen. Usually semis out here go around 72-75 MPH but occasionally one is going 82 or 83.. it's kind of unexpected to see them passing in the left lane. Never a dump truck or cement truck though.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:22 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,679,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In 50 years of driving, I've never seen a dump truck going 80 mph. Dump trucks, and cement trucks, are usually the slowest vehicles on the road, and the slowest to gain speed after waiting at red lights. They routinely drive 40 - 45 mph on expressways.
Here too. I hate getting caught behind them - more often than not they're doing 20-30 under the limit and I can't get speed up quick enough to go around them. Have to wait for a decent break in traffic.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the excessive speeders. Here in VA the speed limit on the Beltway is 55. No one does it, ever. Go with the flow and you're fine. That said, our troopers don't play if you're passing everyone, you'll have a giant pull me flag on your car with that one.

My peeve is people on the interstates who are afraid to do the limit. You want to do 65 in the right lane, go ahead. Don't do 50 in the middle or left and look like a twig in the wind because you're shaking so hard when I pass you. If you're that scared of driving, get the h*ll off the highway and take the scenic route.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,771,645 times
Quote:
Tractor trailer and school buses usually do the speed limit or less here, dump trucks, on the other hand, will fly down the road doing 80 throwing rocks everywhere.
Yes; one of the fastest commercial vehicles on the highway. Don't forget cement trucks! I never knew an 8x8 vehicle could move so fast... with cement in it. A few times driving for the landscaping company I just got fired from; I managed to get the Isuzu NPR dumptruck up to 75, and still getting passed by the ocassional big rig.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:03 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,771,645 times
Quote:
pfft maybe in your city. C'mon down to Louisville and hop on the Waterson expressway, even I64, witness dumptrucks, cement trucks, even garbage trucks bouncing down the highway at 60-75mph. Just becauss the accellerate slow, doesn't make them slow. Our city busses are Gillig Lowfloors; twin turbo v8 diesel with a 32speed allison, does 0-35 in roughly 10 seconds, wieghs about 17k empty.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 AM

997 posts, read 839,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
i know this post may infuriates some because of the generalization but a lot of my co-workers agrees with me and we all drive to work

slower drivers are:

- less skilled because they are used to being stationary and not being aware of their surroundings. Countless times i see close calls because a slower driver nearly got ran over by a big rig or a bus.

- are not good at lane changes, often i see a slow driver make the most dangerous lane change which is braking and slowing down before they change lanes which can cause faster traffic behind or near it to slam on the brakes or sometimes just ram into them.

- slow drivers causes the most delays at highway merges. To go or not to go, contemplating about speeding up or just complete stop at the end of the merge causes morning tie ups.

- often inexperienced drivers are slow and could not make up their mind where to turn and causes people behind to slam the brakes.

- slow drivers likely to get rear ended most of the time because they don't make smooth turns such as coasting into a turn instead they like to do come to a near complete stop when they turn which is prone to get rear ended by an aggressive driver.

- more chance of being injured in auto accidents such as major pile ups because being stuck in packs

- are more likely to be involved in head-on collisions due to impatient drivers that often misjudge the car's speed and would jump on a turn

- more likely to suffer neck and back injuries from being hit by bad drivers

- often i see slow drivers have poor hand wheel position that leads to poor driver control of the car

fast drivers are:

- usually more proactive on the road looking for openings and have better road awareness

- are usually more familiar with the roads, i usually would not go fast unless i know the road really well

- less likely to be involved in accidents because more distance away from slower traffic. Nascar pileups happens behind the leader

- less likely to get hit in the rear because usually ahead of the pack

- likely to kill others in a collision due to speed

- more likely to survive crashes that involve another car regardless of size difference.

- are more likely to hit animals
like!!!!

Old 07-15-2018, 12:09 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,509,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva11319 View Post
Does it depend on what is the slow speed for you?
Slow means you are 5-10mph below avg speeds of other cars around you. If people are going 60-70, a slow driver is doing 55~58.

Speed is a relative term, if you're on a highway and everyone is going 72-75mph. It does not feel fast to be doing 73-75mph because every other car around you are about equal and much easier to drive.

Highways are dangerous when you have too many cars doing different speeds with large differentials.

It's dangerous when someone is doing 50mph and other cars are doing 65mph because it causes cars behind to get backed up and create a bottleneck.

That's why there's always morning tieups when slower drivers can't merge onto highways because they don't speed up to merge in order to keep traffic moving. Slower drivers always force traffic to stall.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,781,212 times
Quote:
I live in NC and have driven here for 35 years. I have seen many dump trucks driving 80 mph, bouncing all over the road and throwing out rocks for my entire driving career. I've had my windshield broken several times by wayward rocks that have flown out. It's ridiculous!

Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,781,212 times
Quote:
School buses in NC are limited to 55 mph on highways unless there are no children on board.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,308,796 times
We’re I live you never see gravel train dump truck going faster than posted speeds if anything U.N. the speed limit. Have you ever seen a gravel train back dump fishtail I have and it’s very scary I seen the fishtail so bad with a full load that they flip on their side so you won’t see dump trucks were i live going faster than the speed limit. Also all semi trucks can’t stop on a dime like a car can and I’ve seen many cars playing chicken with a semi weaving in and out in front of them and one time the car lost when the same hit it from behind and than the car was under the truck trailer and the car crushed and driver was killed, was not the trucks fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive