U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM

712 posts, read 319,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
"Penalty for exceeding the speed limit in North Carolina
First-time violators may:

Be fined up to $1000

Be sentenced to up to 60 days of jail time

Have their license suspended (based upon a point system)

Penalty for reckless driving in North Carolina
Exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph is automatically considered reckless driving in this state.

First-time violators may:

Be fined up to $1000

Be sentenced to up to 60 days of jail time

Have their license suspended (based upon a point system)"

Now, that being said, that does not mean a person is automatically going to jail. In fact, my mother-in-law got pulled the other day for going that rate over the speed limit, and all she got was a regular speeding ticket. I think it is at the officer's discretion. But, technically, as stated by the moving violation laws in my state, you could be sentenced to jail for speeding. Likelihood is probably zilch unless you had a prior criminal record.
That's giving way too much power to the government.

It shouldn't even be on the books. It's a disgrace and someone should sue if they are arrested and thrown in jail for speeding. Having a previous criminal record is irrelevant. It's just a speeding ticket. We seem to be criminalizing everything nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,076,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The limit is also supposed to be regularly updated after doing traffic studies so that it always reflects that 85%. So you really think only 15% of people exceed a 55mph interstate limit?
Hehe... around here (Bay Area), it's more like 15% who ARE driving at/below the posted limit! Most of our freeways are 65mph, but if you go less than 75-80mph, you'll be angrily passed and/or tailgated. Even in the right lane.

And the cops really don't care unless you exceed that "flow of traffic," meaning over 80mph. Trust me, I have (inadvertently) tested this theory.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM

9,434 posts, read 7,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Now, that being said, that does not mean a person is automatically going to jail.
Here in SC, it's officers discretion at 25 over, I believe.

It's rare for someone to get taken in. The max speed limit on any interstate is 75.. You break 100.. There's the chance.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM

20,663 posts, read 16,694,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
"Lousy drivers" are folks who don't pay attention and/or don't maintain control over their vehicle. A fixed speed number controlled by politicians (rarely with engineering input) cannot logically determine that in such a blanket way; you have different capabilities of both the car and the driver. For example, if the speed limit is 70 mph, but you go 70.1 mph....how does that make one go from being a good driver to a bad driver? A (group of) politician(s) said so from their "studies"? Or is it actually at 71mph that defines your driving skills as sucking? 75mph? 80mph?? What about states that raised their speed limits from 70 to 75 or higher? Did those drivers who were previously in the 70-75 range magically go from sucky to good again?

Remember folks, start challenging the logic our lovely politicians are using, instead of just saying "well the gub'ment said so!!!" You are not morally righteous for blindly agreeing with the government.
Exactly! There are roads here that go for miles, through several different towns. In terms of traffic volume, population, and other safety factors, the road is the same the whole way and through all these towns especially in the rural areas. Yet you cross from town A to town B, and the speed limit goes from 50 to 35, even though nothing in the roadway changed. It might be a different speed in every town. There is no logical reason for it. You might get 5 engineers look at the same road and come to a different recommendation, OR they do it to make money.

There was one road like that I got stopped on years ago. The speed limit was 30 but there was no discernible reason for it to be that low. The cop had the speech already loaded when he got to me:

"Ma'am you were going blah blah...now I can give you a municipal ticket instead of a state ticket. You won't get any points. Just go to court on the date on your ticket and plead guilty to (I don't remember the charge they used, but I remember that to me it sounded worse than speeding lol) and pay the fine".

SO I go to court, and the place is packed with people, all of us doing the same exact thing, pleading guilty to a municipal offense and paying a fine. This town was smart, instead of splitting the fine with the state, they got to keep it all. And no one really complains or fights it, because we're just glad not to get points. They made thousands just that one day.

The speed limit is only that low through that municipality, and that road goes through several populated areas.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 881,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?
In Atlanta the rule is I-85 means I-go-85

Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,331,828 times
One reason not to speed, or stand out in the crowd by noticeably exceeding the posted speed limit, is it gives the LEO's probable cause to dig a little bit deeper than just a routine traffic stop.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM

15,979 posts, read 6,296,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?
That ship sailed when speed limits were set based on political/"PC" rather than engineering criteria. By any definition speed limits are unreasonably low. And Interstates are not the sole offenders. Local secondary roads are invariable set at 25, 30 or 35 mph when 40, 45 or even 50 might be more reasonable.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM
46H

967 posts, read 589,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What state was that person from?? I have never in my life heard of anyplace where you'd go to jail for speeding 25 mph over the limit. If that was the case here, you couldn't go to jail because all the cops would already be there, lol. If it's so dangerous, why do the Staties routinely blow past those of us going 10MPH over the limit when they are heading to their headquarters on the AC expressway when their shift is done?

I love to see those "I am planting myself in the left lane and not moving over for anyone" suddenly notice it's a cop that's riding their a**. They sure dash over a lane real quick then.
Virginia has some absurd speeding laws.

If you are caught 20mph over the posted speed or in excess of 80mph you will be charged with reckless driving - a Class a class 1 misdemeanor. Thatís a criminal offense, and it carries 6 DMV points, a potential fine of $2,500, and a potential jail sentence of 12 months. The DMV points last for 11 years! So getting caught at 80mph in a 70mph in Virginia (only 10mph over) makes you a criminal unless you have the money to get a lawyer. Guess what type of legislator would write laws like this?

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

There have been many attempts by the VA Senate to change this law, but it still exists.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va...t-interstates/

Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Just get the **** out if the way you slowpoke. I own 3 cars that can do well over 150 mph. I didn't buy these cars to drive 55 MPH.

"I can't drive 55!"

Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM

5,851 posts, read 8,619,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Where is that?

Disgusting police state you live. 80 is the speed limit in texas. lol. They manage to survive without throwing their citizens in jail. What's next jail for jaywalking or for cursing? Who the hell wants to live in a place like that.

Speed limits are way too low in most areas and are designed to bring in revenue. It's amazing you can't see that. If the state was that serious about speed limits they'd mandate automatic speed limiters in vehicles, but they don't do that because they want the money from the tickets. There's a ton of safety things that must be on a vehicle. It would be easy to implement.

Remember 55 stay alive? Speed limit when to 65 or higher on interstates and no big changes. The roads didn't become a disaster area.
Texting is a bigger problem than moderate speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or