U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM

20,586 posts, read 16,645,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Virginia has some absurd speeding laws.

If you are caught 20mph over the posted speed or in excess of 80mph you will be charged with reckless driving - a Class a class 1 misdemeanor. Thatís a criminal offense, and it carries 6 DMV points, a potential fine of $2,500, and a potential jail sentence of 12 months. The DMV points last for 11 years! So getting caught at 80mph in a 70mph in Virginia (only 10mph over) makes you a criminal unless you have the money to get a lawyer. Guess what type of legislator would write laws like this?

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

There have been many attempts by the VA Senate to change this law, but it still exists.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/01/va...t-interstates/
That's nuts! I'll keep that in mind if I ever drive through Virginia, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
People who drive fast tend not to have their lives in order. They failed to adequately plan their schedule to allow for sufficient travel time. They also failed to account for the possibility of a crash due to their reckless speed. It's possible they failed to get enough sleep (8 hours minimum) the night prior and their brain is operating on erroneous logic.
Haha... if that were the case, I'd be "operating on erroneous logic" practically 365 days/year! I can't even remember the last time I slept for 8 hours straight, let alone 5-6, and yet I have never even been in a car accident. Well, unless you count the one time I skidded out on black ice, which had zero to do with lack of sleep.

And do I speed? Not compared to the other drivers around here, lol. I can barely keep up with the flow of traffic, and that's with averaging 75-78mph on the freeway (with a 65mph limit). I seem to be one of the more CAUTIOUS drivers on our roads! I doubt the other 80-90% of drivers exceeding the limits are just running late, sleep deprived, etc; they just like to go fast.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM

3,345 posts, read 858,335 times
Fast drivers don't bother me too much as long as they don't aggressively weave. If you need to get somewhere, flash your lights and I'll move over, as long as I won't miss my exit.

The rush hour wannabe speed demons who are in road rage territory are my pet peeve. They're projecting someone else's frustration with their tardiness onto others, wanting to punish them for "causing a traffic jam".

The personality types who behave this way in congested areas (in autos, on foot, wherever) are highly impulsive with an extremely low tolerance for inconvenience and discomfort. If you're gonna be impulsive, you better have a high tolerance for discomfort! But it's those two things working against each other that make these people so volatile.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 545,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
People who drive fast tend not to have their lives in order. They failed to adequately plan their schedule to allow for sufficient travel time. They also failed to account for the possibility of a crash due to their reckless speed. It's possible they failed to get enough sleep (8 hours minimum) the night prior and their brain is operating on erroneous logic.
You must have some forearms carrying around that broad brush you paint with!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 PM

5,211 posts, read 2,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Fast drivers don't bother me too much as long as they don't aggressively weave. If you need to get somewhere, flash your lights and I'll move over, as long as I won't miss my exit.

The rush hour wannabe speed demons who are in road rage territory are my pet peeve. They're projecting someone else's frustration with their tardiness onto others, wanting to punish them for "causing a traffic jam".

The personality types who behave this way in congested areas (in autos, on foot, wherever) are highly impulsive with an extremely low tolerance for inconvenience and discomfort. If you're gonna be impulsive, you better have a high tolerance for discomfort! But it's those two things working against each other that make these people so volatile.
Fast drivers need to weave, to get around all the wannabe traffic cops hanging out in the left lane.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:52 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,985,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Just traveled cross country and back. 80 in posted 55 is what is normal. Even in front of LEO, no issues.
The problem comes in when somebody makes an error at 80. Then it's a big problem.
So is making an error at 55.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The speed limit is supposed to be set to what 85% of drivers would do if there was no posted speed limit at all. 55 seems artificially low for any interstate these days.
The Truth About Speed Limits, Explained by an Engineer | SEHģ
55 was artificially low in 1974.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nonsense. Interstates were designed for 70mph. It was changed to 55mph after the Oil Embargo as a fuel saving measure.

The design standards for the Interstate System state that a minimum design speed of 70 mph should be used for rural areas, and where terrain is mountainous a design speed from 50 to 60 mph may be used.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/modiv/progr...tersta/idp.cfm
Incorrect. Interstates were designed for 90mph. You must a youngster. You know, there were speed limits above 70 prior to the 55 limit. Heck, even the speed trap state of Ohio had a 75 limit on the Turnpike.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM

5,211 posts, read 2,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Incorrect. Interstates were designed for 90mph. You must a youngster. You know, there were speed limits above 70 prior to the 55 limit. Heck, even the speed trap state of Ohio had a 75 limit on the Turnpike.
In the 1950s, and 60s there were speed limits as high as 80 mph on many highways. Several states, namely Montana and Nevada didn't have any speed limits at all on any highways, even two lane highways. That was in a time when cars didn't have seat belts, air bags, or much of any crash protection. Then traffic cops started getting radar guns, and suddenly they decided that letting people drive 80 mph, just wasn't safe. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 297,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
If you drove the same speed as the traffic around you, these issues would not arise. There's nothing magic about an arbitrary number on a sign on the side of the road.

In a perfect world, your notion of everyone adhering to a "a common set of driving behavior" is spot on. Unfortunately, nothing in this world is perfect and the reality is that everyone speeds. You're a hazard if you're traveling at a substantially different speed than everyone else. So, you can be "right" or you can be safe. Your call, but most of us would rather be safe and go with the flow. I suppose you also encourage pedestrians to step in front of moving cars because the law says the motorist has to stop? See how far that thinking gets you.
A little backstory: about five years ago, this poster commented on this very subject and was more up front about the fact that she will drive in whatever lane she wants going precisely the speed limit. The usual, obnoxious stuff we all expect from self-appointed road nannies. I asked her about situations in which someone is in an emergency situation and she is holding them up. She scoffed at that but then argued that she can tell when it's a real emergency situation and when it's someone who just wants to exceed the speed limit. I asked how she can tell and I don't recall a coherent response to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or