U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM

7,242 posts, read 6,471,018 times

Advertisements

The real question is if city councils know what the term "85th percentile" means.. speed limits should be set to the 85th percentile to avoid large variations between the slowest and fastest vehicles. If they are just setting the speed limit arbitrarily slow, they are doing it wrong. If they are not enforcing it with a constant police presence, people are going to ignore it. If they try to enforce it on a busy interstate where prevailing traffic is going 20 above, they're just going to cause a bunch of accidents. Road speeds should be catered around drivers, not some nanny state bleeding heart city council members or a few angry residents who don't like how loud the traffic noise is. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

10,333 posts, read 10,355,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?
Drive how you want except please for safety STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 AM

1,769 posts, read 569,578 times
Unless you’re just a poor driver, the best policy, IMO, is to go with the flow whatever that is, don’t speed to excess such that you’re weaving in and out to overtake and don’t obstruct traffic.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM

9,910 posts, read 8,183,101 times
I’ve driven some poor handling vehicles. I drove them as fast as I felt safe to do so in the right lane. Those speeds ranged from 55 to 65 mph depending on the vehicle and road conditions.

My problem with some speeders on the highway is the tailgaters. These are the drivers who, at over 70mph, will come within a few feet of the vehicle in front of them. I was in the process of passing a truck doing 65. Guy in a large truck ran right up to my bumper and was angrily honking his horn and flashing his lights. Sorry, an Elantra doesn’t accelerate as fast as your huge engine. I was accelerating and I was passing the slower truck. He really became angry after I cleared the slower truck’s front bumper expecting me to cut off the slower truck. Instead I kept going until I could see the slower truck’s tires in my rear view mirror and then changed lanes so as not to cut off the truck. Wish a state trooper had been around to see that road rage truck’s behavior.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 AM

18,428 posts, read 20,176,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
when can you actually do that, though? Between the hours of midnight and 5 AM?
Depending on the time and location you can drive 65-75.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:52 AM

10,300 posts, read 4,875,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Just get the **** out if the way you slowpoke. I own 3 cars that can do well over 150 mph. I didn't buy these cars to drive 55 MPH.
So the laws don't apply to you because you have a fancy car?

On the interstate where I live the posted speed limit is 65 but they also post the minimum speed limit which is 45 mph.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 AM

10,542 posts, read 15,612,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Unless you’re just a poor driver, the best policy, IMO, is to go with the flow whatever that is, don’t speed to excess such that you’re weaving in and out to overtake and don’t obstruct traffic.

Yep. Listen to this.
Then, don't be surprised, when local sheriff deputy pulls pack of eight vehicles on freeway over, and you were in the middle of it, doing just that - going with the flow. He also has a back up deputy about 2 miles down the road, just in case one decides to pretend not to notice him. And then you get hit with helluva fines, as judge is his uncle, sheriff is his father or else similar. And I speak from personal experience.
Local jurisdictions have VERY free hand to establish their own fines. In some areas, 15 above SL IS jail time and you do NOT have to live there. Just get pulled over. Again, speaking from experience. $600 fine for speeding is their bread and butter. Go try Georgia local FWY stretches at dusk.

But to OP. No, as it was mentioned - people do know what posted SL is. What people do not know is what a variable speed limit zone is along with what exactly do those fancy new LED one per each lane signs with numbers on them mean exactly. Is that at what speed traffic is moving? Suggested SL? Legal SL NOW due to traffic?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 AM

262 posts, read 205,326 times
OP, I am not by nature a cynical person, but I believe that A LOT of drivers just don't care. They don't care about speed limits, other drivers, pedestrians, yield signs, caution signs, etc. Every time I leave the house it's like I'm taking my life in my hands and do pray often "Jesus, please protect me".

Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times
I don't care what the speed limit is. I'm in the back reading financial reports while Rupert drives the Maybach.

Now, if I get rich enough, I'll never need to be in a car; I'll just have other people come to me.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,858,033 times
Haha! I love this post!

I’ve always said about Atlanta - they don’t have speed “limits”, they have speed “suggestions”!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or