U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM

8,019 posts, read 3,148,994 times

Advertisements

I think the people who set the speed limits understand that people tend to go 10-15 miles above the limit and figure that in to their calculations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:02 PM

5,842 posts, read 8,603,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think the people who set the speed limits understand that people tend to go 10-15 miles above the limit and figure that in to their calculations.
Speed limits are a lie we tell ourselves. While they are supposed to be the maximum speed, police don't usually ticket anybody unless the person is going at least 10-15 mph over the speed limit. I don't think there's much of an expectation that people will actually make that their maximum speed.

I think we'd be better off with more realistic speed limits that are better enforced, rather than speed limits that are often unrealistically low and are not enforced. A law that 90% of the people break simply isn't enforceable, and having that setup breeds disrespect for the law in general.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 PM

9,660 posts, read 4,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would say that? If its due to cars being built differently today, well, that doesnt matter, the 55 mph speed limit is more for the human error part, they felt 55 was the fastest speed most drivers could handle, it doesnt matter if they are in a ferrari or a focus, speed is speed.

Nonsense. Interstates were designed for 70mph. It was changed to 55mph after the Oil Embargo as a fuel saving measure.

The design standards for the Interstate System state that a minimum design speed of 70 mph should be used for rural areas, and where terrain is mountainous a design speed from 50 to 60 mph may be used.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/modiv/progr...tersta/idp.cfm

Old 07-15-2018, 07:23 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,262,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nonsense. Interstates were designed for 70mph. It was changed to 55mph after the Oil Embargo as a fuel saving measure.

The design standards for the Interstate System state that a minimum design speed of 70 mph should be used for rural areas, and where terrain is mountainous a design speed from 50 to 60 mph may be used.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/modiv/progr...tersta/idp.cfm
This is correct. I wasn't around then, but I've heard the stories.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM

1,664 posts, read 779,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
This is correct. I wasn't around then, but I've heard the stories.
It sucked, in a major way. Try driving from Houston to LA at 55 mph in a car with no cruise control.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,091,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
What's wrong with getting in the slow lane and letting them do their thing?
Selfish, self-centered, righteous people always need to be right and have a sense of power over others.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,070,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?

I really don't flip out when other people speed. I usually exceed to 65 and 70.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 PM

5,499 posts, read 2,330,959 times
People who drive fast tend not to have their lives in order. They failed to adequately plan their schedule to allow for sufficient travel time. They also failed to account for the possibility of a crash due to their reckless speed. It's possible they failed to get enough sleep (8 hours minimum) the night prior and their brain is operating on erroneous logic.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 4,091,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
People who drive fast tend not to have their lives in order. They failed to adequately plan their schedule to allow for sufficient travel time. They also failed to account for the possibility of a crash due to their reckless speed. It's possible they failed to get enough sleep (8 hours minimum) the night prior and their brain is operating on erroneous logic.
Or they move with the flow of traffic like a normal person

Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 PM

727 posts, read 86,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985
A speed limit of 55 on the interstate is outdated
Yes but no one abides by it..... Route 29 here that goes along the highway east/west has a 55MPH stretch in the busier section of town and HARDILY ANYONE slows down in that section!!!!!!1 (The rest of it is 65 as is the highway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or