U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 PM

1,297 posts, read 430,671 times

Advertisements

oh nevermind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 AM

5,848 posts, read 8,611,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think the people who set the speed limits understand that people tend to go 10-15 miles above the limit and figure that in to their calculations.
The last time I got nailed, I was going 24 mph over the speed limit. The trooper lowered that by 14 mph and wrote my ticket for just 10 mph over the speed limit. He further told me that as long as I kept it to less than 15 mph over the speed limit, I would not be pulled over. In that location at least, the police established a de facto speed limit that was 15 mph over the actual posted speed limit.

Drivers understand this implicitly and take it into account when deciding what speed to drive.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 AM

20,422 posts, read 37,827,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, 90% of people know that that the interstates were designed for 80 mph speeds, and that the speed tax starts at 55 mph. Except for the clueless 10% who insist on going 55 mph regardless, usually in the far left lane with traffic passing then on the right at 80 mph.

Actually, it's a small percentage who have the illusion that they are excellent drivers who somehow deserve to exceed the speed limit excessively, and that everyone else should obey the law and get out of their way and let them do it. That they don't see the hypocrisy is but one of the signs that they are, in fact, however great they think they are, LOUSY drivers because it's all about them and anything and anyone else on the highway is not to be taken into account except as a block to them getting their own way.

As I said earlier, excellent drivers take into account the conditions not just of the road but of everything, including the people and vehicles around them. People who are all about their own desire for speed, speed, speed to the exclusion of everything else are, by definition, lousy, not excellent, drivers.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM

20,422 posts, read 37,827,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Selfish, self-centered, righteous people always need to be right and have a sense of power over others.

You mean the people who think it is all about them and that everyone else should get out of their way and let them decide what traffic laws should and should not be obeyed? Those selfish, self-centered, righteous people who need to have a sense of power in making everyone else get out of their way?

Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 2,097,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As I said earlier, excellent drivers take into account the conditions not just of the road but of everything, including the people and vehicles around them. People who are all about their own desire for speed, speed, speed to the exclusion of everything else are, by definition, lousy, not excellent, drivers.
Excellent drivers take into account that the interstates were designed for 80 mph speeds, but have had the speed limits artificially lowered to create $10 billion a year of revenue for the government.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,289,708 times
What do you mean do people NOT know what "speed limit" means?

I'm sorry, but I'm just all talked out about people speeding on interstates and major highways.
What else need to be said about that? People speed.
IF you're a slow poke, or driving slower than the usual speed on a particular highway, drive on the right.

Don't get mad at speeders, keep your arse on the right.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 1,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The highway cops in NYC are jerkoffs too. They will let you off if you kiss their ass hard enough during the traffic stop.
Now I know why they wrote me a ticket. i didn't do as you suggested.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 AM

26,564 posts, read 62,999,930 times
In many and perhaps all jurisdictions, you can get a ticket for impeding traffic if you are travelling at the maximum posted speed, but you are blocking people who are gong faster and refuse to get out of their way.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM

20,603 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
People who drive fast tend not to have their lives in order. They failed to adequately plan their schedule to allow for sufficient travel time. They also failed to account for the possibility of a crash due to their reckless speed. It's possible they failed to get enough sleep (8 hours minimum) the night prior and their brain is operating on erroneous logic.
You consider going 5-10 over the speed limit on a highway "reckless??" That's flow of traffic, or even below flow of traffic on most highways.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:14 AM

20,603 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In many and perhaps all jurisdictions, you can get a ticket for impeding traffic if you are travelling at the maximum posted speed, but you are blocking people who are gong faster and refuse to get out of their way.
NJ was good enough to make "Keep Right, Pass Left" a LAW, thank God. Not that there aren't still LLD's who don't abide by the signs (it's fine for them to break a law in order for them to show you what they think of you breaking a law) and I would love to see people get pulled over for it more, but alas it doesn't happen enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or