Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 10:24 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
As usual, a whole bunch of entitled criminals thinking that laws don't apply to them.

Kinda like the entitled criminals who ignore the 'keep right except to pass' law and park themselves in the left lane doing under the limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM

8,165 posts, read 6,916,037 times
SPEED LIMIT -

75... oops no.... energy crisis.... let's put it at the ridiculously low 55.

ok, time to go back to the reasonable 75... oh wait...

oh wait just a minute here. Look at all of the revenue generated from speeders!

Back to ridiculously low 55.

THE END.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
No, not in Denmark on major motorways, or really anyplace else. Reason: Denmark has very little active traffic patrolling anywhere. But fines and penalties are stiff.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Excellent drivers take into account that the interstates were designed for 80 mph speeds, but have had the speed limits artificially lowered to create $10 billion a year of revenue for the government.

Lousy drivers claim that traffic laws that they don't like/want to abide by because "I WANNA!" are for revenue generation reasons. It's the hallmark of a bad driver.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
If you are causing a jam, even over the speed limit, by blocking the left lane CHP here will light you up.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM

712 posts, read 529,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
80 in a 55 gets you jail time here.
Where is that?

Disgusting police state you live. 80 is the speed limit in texas. lol. They manage to survive without throwing their citizens in jail. What's next jail for jaywalking or for cursing? Who the hell wants to live in a place like that.

Speed limits are way too low in most areas and are designed to bring in revenue. It's amazing you can't see that. If the state was that serious about speed limits they'd mandate automatic speed limiters in vehicles, but they don't do that because they want the money from the tickets. There's a ton of safety things that must be on a vehicle. It would be easy to implement.

Remember 55 stay alive? Speed limit when to 65 or higher on interstates and no big changes. The roads didn't become a disaster area.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Where is that?

Disgusting police state you live. 80 is the speed limit in texas. lol. They manage to survive without throwing their citizens in jail. What's next jail for jaywalking or for cursing? Who the hell wants to live in a place like that.

Speed limits are way too low in most areas and are designed to bring in revenue. It's amazing you can't see that. If the state was that serious about speed limits they'd mandate automatic speed limiters in vehicles, but they don't do that because they want the money from the tickets. There's a ton of safety things that must be on a vehicle. It would be easy to implement.

Remember 55 stay alive? Speed limit when to 65 or higher on interstates and no big changes. The roads didn't become a disaster area.
What state was that person from?? I have never in my life heard of anyplace where you'd go to jail for speeding 25 mph over the limit. If that was the case here, you couldn't go to jail because all the cops would already be there, lol. If it's so dangerous, why do the Staties routinely blow past those of us going 10MPH over the limit when they are heading to their headquarters on the AC expressway when their shift is done?

I love to see those "I am planting myself in the left lane and not moving over for anyone" suddenly notice it's a cop that's riding their a**. They sure dash over a lane real quick then.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I think MOST drivers (my estimate is about 90%) think that "speed limit" means the MINIMUM speed you should be going on the interstate. For those of you reading this who don't know..its the MAXIMUM speed you should be driving.

Interstate drivers routinely drive 70 80 mph's where the speed limit causes for 55...and if your going 55, they actually zoom past you upset because your not going 80.

Do you think that most drivers know what SPEED LIMIT means?
Funny about that. One lady was stopped for doing 55 mph IN A 55 MPH ZONE by the state police. What did she do? Well, everyone else was going 65. So she was impeding traffic...The stater let her go, but suggested she speed up.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Lousy drivers claim that traffic laws that they don't like/want to abide by because "I WANNA!" are for revenue generation reasons. It's the hallmark of a bad driver.
"Lousy drivers" are folks who don't pay attention and/or don't maintain control over their vehicle. A fixed speed number controlled by politicians (rarely with engineering input) cannot logically determine that in such a blanket way; you have different capabilities of both the car and the driver. For example, if the speed limit is 70 mph, but you go 70.1 mph....how does that make one go from being a good driver to a bad driver? A (group of) politician(s) said so from their "studies"? Or is it actually at 71mph that defines your driving skills as sucking? 75mph? 80mph?? What about states that raised their speed limits from 70 to 75 or higher? Did those drivers who were previously in the 70-75 range magically go from sucky to good again?

Remember folks, start challenging the logic our lovely politicians are using, instead of just saying "well the gub'ment said so!!!" You are not morally righteous for blindly agreeing with the government.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What state was that person from?? I have never in my life heard of anyplace where you'd go to jail for speeding 25 mph over the limit. If that was the case here, you couldn't go to jail because all the cops would already be there, lol. If it's so dangerous, why do the Staties routinely blow past those of us going 10MPH over the limit when they are heading to their headquarters on the AC expressway when their shift is done?

I love to see those "I am planting myself in the left lane and not moving over for anyone" suddenly notice it's a cop that's riding their a**. They sure dash over a lane real quick then.
"Penalty for exceeding the speed limit in North Carolina
First-time violators may:

Be fined up to $1000

Be sentenced to up to 60 days of jail time

Have their license suspended (based upon a point system)

Penalty for reckless driving in North Carolina
Exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph is automatically considered reckless driving in this state.

First-time violators may:

Be fined up to $1000

Be sentenced to up to 60 days of jail time

Have their license suspended (based upon a point system)"

Now, that being said, that does not mean a person is automatically going to jail. In fact, my mother-in-law got pulled the other day for going that rate over the speed limit, and all she got was a regular speeding ticket. I think it is at the officer's discretion. But, technically, as stated by the moving violation laws in my state, you could be sentenced to jail for speeding. Likelihood is probably zilch unless you had a prior criminal record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive