U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 AM

24,356 posts, read 29,058,012 times
Post News, Gas prices strike all-time high.

Average price of regular unleaded rises to record $3.286 a gallon, according to AAA survey.

Gasoline prices strike record $3.286 a gallon - AAA survey - Mar. 31, 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 AM

217 posts, read 522,967 times
We might as well be ready for $4 gallon this summer.

They will charge it and we will pay it. It is all greed on behalf of the oil companies' behalf.

Can you imagine having to wait in line for gas as we did in the 1970s?
It doesn't fir into todays society - therefore they charge us $4 gallon rather than $.49 as they did back then.

The real question is whether or not Americans are ready to downsize their vehicles to those that are driven in countries that are already paying $4-$5 gallon for gasoline. 400 hp V-8 engines are useless when sitting in the usual bumper to bumper traffic of most cities rush hours.

40-50 mpg cars are what America needs to be driving. We seem to be fooling ourselves as big SUVs are still ambling around as if there was no problem.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,429,200 times
I hope is the last gasp of a monopoly trying to collect as much profit before the decreased demand collapses prices. I expect that $4 per gallon will be with us for quite long time.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,489,263 times
It isn't just greed on the part of the oil companies. It is also our own lack of foresight for buying cars with crappy gas mileage and for living 30 or 40 miles away from where we work and choosing not to use whatever transit or carpooling options we have.

I live 7 miles from where I work. My car gets 30 mpg in the city. My commuting costs at $4 a gallon will be less than $10 a week if I drive every day.

My sister-in-law lives 45 miles from where she works. Her vehicle gets 15 mpg. Her commute costs her $120 a week. But she has a Yukon, and they live in a big fancy house out in the 'burbs.

The increased demand isn't the fault of the oil companies.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM

6,651 posts, read 10,119,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope is the last gasp of a monopoly trying to collect as much profit before the decreased demand collapses prices. I expect that $4 per gallon will be with us for quite long time.
It's called peak oil + speculation. Not much we can do about it. Many people can't even say "I will take mass transit instead of driving" because a lot of cities in America don't have it. We just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,646,838 times
We have only ourselves to blame. Belief that gas would forever be cheap led us, as a nation, to embrace gas-guzzling cars, buy houses far, far away from our jobs, and underfund public transit.

Now that gas prices are no longer cheap, we blame everyone but ourselves.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM

6,651 posts, read 10,119,101 times
skuwoo

Hopefully we the citizens of America will start demanding mass transit in metro areas. We need bullet trains between cities. Fast rail trains from coast to coast for freight. We MUST demand this moving forward or we as a nation will be in trouble. Yes they are coming up with alternative fuel cars, HOWEVER with real wages down and people living check to check, most American's can not afford new cars. Somethings gotta give.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 AM

35,645 posts, read 53,260,049 times
Thumbs down Enough of these "New, Gas Prices Suck" threads already.

Honestly... we already know that fuel prices are going up. You don't have to post a new "news" thread every other day to tell us that. There's already a million threads on the subject and the subject is actively getting beaten into the ground already on several of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive