Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I'm calling my shot, It's the Radiator!
Older Honda's used cheap Plastic Radiators and they develop hairline cracks that you can't see till the engine gets to Operating temperature.
The Crack Radiator usually leaves sitting antifreeze all over the manifold.
Only the tanks on a radiator are made of plastic the core is aluminum every radiator for every manufacturer are made like this just not Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,119,565 times
So, when was your last antifreeze change? Use Honda antifreeze,always.

Any greenish stains Not the engine or radiator?

If the dash gauge is in the middle, there is not much to worry about.

Don't think of the worse, a head gasket job is a big job with 5-10 hours of labor. Get a second opinion.

Dealership is the stealership, don't waste your time or $$%

Old 07-19-2018, 02:36 PM

8,896 posts, read 11,674,964 times
Car takes only 3 minutes to reach middle of the gauge temperature. Everyone I talks to says their cars take 6-10 minutes.

Picture of leaked fluid:

Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM

297 posts, read 165,211 times
Looks oily. Does it feel oily when you rub it with your fingers? If not, do it

Your car is nearly 20 yrs old. It WILL leak things. It's supposed to. After so many years the seals and the gaskets wear off and a little something always gets through.
How much of it is leaking? Does it leak after engine is off?

Old 07-19-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukumjacka View Post
Looks oily. Does it feel oily when you rub it with your fingers? If not, do it

Your car is nearly 20 yrs old. It WILL leak things. It's supposed to. After so many years the seals and the gaskets wear off and a little something always gets through.
How much of it is leaking? Does it leak after engine is off?
Yes, it feels oily. It leaks a little like in the picture. I guess it leaks after the engine is off. It's hard to tell when the car is running.

A while back I replaced the oil pan thinking it was leaking. Nope, leak is still there coming from somewhere else above the oil pan. Because the oil plug is the lowest point, any leak will eventually drip from there. That's what caused me to misdiagnose. I am not losing oil though. Not sure what this leaked fluid is.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,119,565 times
Valve cover gasket,check the area. Have the engine cleaned at the car wash, to know for sure.

There is no red, right?

Oil leaking on a hot exhaust pipe will build some heat, like a frying pan does.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Valve cover gasket,check the area. Have the engine cleaned at the car wash, to know for sure.

There is no red, right?

Oil leaking on a hot exhaust pipe will build some heat, like a frying pan does.
No red? red color? I don't understand what you are asking.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Your temps sound normal to me howedver i would consider replacing timing belt/water pump and related hardware as a failure of the belt will most likely require a new engine as ALL Honda engines are interference engines. .=Honda Timing Belt and Timing Chain List - Your Car Angel - Your Car Angel

Old 07-20-2018, 04:34 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,043,880 times
That sounds like normal running temp for an Accord to me.

On to leak ...

Down-thread, youwrote that the resavior was nearly empty and that you topped it off. If there is a coolant leak - internal or external - that level will drop unless a head gasket, which will push more into it when hot. Mark it and watch it.

Water pumps have weep holes. When the internal seal of a water pump fails, it will "weep" to let you know. Could be that, but in my expereince it weeps below the pump. Plus your fluid on the ground is oily.

Wipe down what you can in the engine. Watch the resivior level (yes, that should be cool enough to touch) and visually check bith and where the oily fluid is dripping on the ground to see if that continues to be from the low point of the pan. Also, tighten up the valve gasket nuts on top (to spec - do not overtighten). My bet is on the gasket cover nuts.

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 07-20-2018 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 05:22 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,776,135 times
That could be transmission fluid, if its never been changed, or possibly old power steering fluid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive