Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
The reason your statement is an unpopular opinion is because it’s not accurate.

(I do not like the UAW, either, but they are not even one of the top 5 issues that Ford and GM are faced with.)
Are you kidding?

The issues surrounding union labor are huge for auto makers and have been for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Are you kidding?

The issues surrounding union labor are huge for auto makers and have been for decades.
So it’s ok for the CEO and other board members get paid millions right and the people who actually do the work should not be paid a living wage right. So do you feel the same way about Teamsters, and the Railroad Union. And what about the AFLCIO, or AFSCME, or is it just the UAW.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
1. I like the CVT on our Legacy.

2. The Pontiac Aztek was not a horribly designed vehicle; it was merely ahead of its time and would be received far better today than it was when Pontiac was still in the hame.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Are you kidding?

It’s not as big of a problem as many make it out to be.

Assembly labor doesn’t even account for 20% of the total cost to build a car. Supplier and trade obstacles are much bigger issues, just to name a couple things.

I am not nor have I ever been a UAW member so I’m not saying these things as some UAW apologist. Far from it, actually, given I was a salaried non-union person who’s had to supervise UAW members in the past. They have some stupid rules, terrible leadership and other issues, but in the grand scheme of things they pale in comparison to other issues the automakers are trying to fix.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Hondas are uncomfortable. The steering wheels are too low, and hit my legs. And I'm short. It's the reason I never buy them, and buy Toyotas or Nissans instead.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Toyota quality is overrated. I owned two of them. They were not bad quality, just not the paragons that some consider them.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
I never thought Aztec's looked bad.

UAW is part of the reason foreign cars are better and more popular.
In very liberal southern California every 5th car is a Prius
I sure hope Trump rolls back Obamas EPA gas mileage standards so the manufactures can return to decent size engines instead of these tiny sewing machine motors with a turbo..
A 4 cylinder engine in a 6,000 lb truck ain't going to cut it.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I never thought Aztec's looked bad.

UAW is part of the reason foreign cars are better and more popular.
In very liberal southern California every 5th car is a Prius
I sure hope Trump rolls back Obamas EPA gas mileage standards so the manufactures can return to decent size engines instead of these tiny sewing machine motors with a turbo..
A 4 cylinder engine in a 6,000 lb truck ain't going to cut it.
So you think the UAW is part of the reason foreign cars are better how is that when the UAW only assembles the vehicles that the company wants, the UAW didn’t make the final approval on what parts to use people act as if the UAW has the final say in what is to be built. The UAW doesn’t set up the plants they don’t buy the parts that go into a vehicle all they do is assemble what the company give them. And don’t forget those foreign automakers like Daimler, and VW are also union companies. And do you think it’s the nurses union when a hospital make a mistake because by your statement the UAW is the reason US built cars are bad, then anything a profession that has a union is bad then, and when a hospital makes a mistake it’s the nurses union fault.

Last edited by easy62; 07-21-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
One day we won't drive our cars because we will program them to drive us to our destinations.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I don't understand why more cars weren't built with plastic body panels like Saturns used to be. I owned a couple of Saturns and I liked the plastic panels.

Too bad Corvette doesn't make an affordable grocery-getter type vehicle.
Corvette doesn't make cars, the Chevrolet division of General Motors makes cars, including the Corvette; it also makes moribund "grocery-getters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive