Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 12:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
That backup camera can help when someone rear ends you, no?
No, back up cameras are cameras, not recorders, so no record of your backing up. Not only that, but back up cameras are just that, they only work legally in the USA if you are in reverse gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
I am truly disappointed at the "new formulas" of several products which used to have a strong, signature scent, based off of which chemicals they were comprised.

Armor-All and Rain-X used to have very different, very distinct smells. Armor-All had a sweet, petroleum distillate smell - almost like Black Magic. Rain-X had a "circus-peanut-candy and acetone" smell.

Now, the products both smell like... raw pumpkin guts! An extremely mild, effete solution that might be good for cleaning, but definitely not coating or providing the protection that the old formulas did. I have tested both products, old and new, and the new Rain-x doesn't bead water but for perhaps 1 or 2 rains, and the Armor-All definitely cleans, but dries without leaving an added shine.

Am I going crazy?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:38 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Unpopular opinion:

Self-driving cars are a monumentally stupid idea. If we spent a tiny fraction of the money being wasted on this boondoggle into better driver education and training, we would all be better off and safer.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Crossovers are NOT trucks!
That is not an opinion; it's a fact. I'm not being cheeky here, but CUVs are built off a passenger car platform and they are very different from trucks.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Drivers who receive and infraction or caused an accident should be required to retake both the written and road test at the DMV to keep drivers knowledgable about safe vehicle operation and to weed out bad habits. Hell, it'll probably reduce deaths, injuries, and lower all of our insurance rates.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Some of the greatest cars ever that no longer grace our highways are the Yugo, Gremlin, Corvair, and Pinto.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
the Armor-All definitely cleans, but dries without leaving an added shine.
Ew. I hate that shiny armor-all finish. (does this count as an unpopular opinion?)

Old 07-26-2018, 01:56 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My mother was the youngest commercial bus drive in Iowa - ever (as far as we know). She started driving one of grandpa's school buses to high school when she started high school (age 13 or 14). She would pick up the kids, collect their fees, drive to the school, park, and go in to classes. This would have been sometime in the 1940s. The buses were wooden. However, when I knew her, she did not drive stick and said she did not know how.

We have several other Annie Oakley types. Naturally back int he 1920s and 1930s everyone who drove, drove manual transmissions. However we are talking about 2018. I would be willing to bet nearly half of our population has never even seen a manual transmission car that they knew was manual transmission. https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...-drive-manual/

My family includes 273 members last time I had a count. They are from 27 states. While not a huge sample, it is more broad and representative than many scientific studies. (Except that all of them are or once were Jensens or are descended from a Jensen). TO the best of my knowledge, fewer than 10 women in our family can/will drive stick. Then you add in my wife's family and it is the same, although I think there are only about 75 - 100 of them that we know about.

However, as I said, it is not just my family. Most of the women I know anywhere cannot or will not drive stick. There are a few exceptions, but they are rare.

It appears women do not often become car/driving fans. It is really only driving aficionados who choose to drive stick now. Good automatics shift better than humans can (this was not the case a few years ago), so there is no increased efficiency. As a result some women I knew who drove stick shift cars for better efficiency no longer do so and have indicated they never will again.

Women simply are not into cars and driving the way men are. Of course there are a few exceptions, but they are rare. I have been involved in cars/car clubs and driving for over 40 years. During that time, I have met three female mechanics. I belong to three car clubs. Only one of them has a female member. That is out of over 300 people total. I go to car shows for various clubs, it is almost entirely men. SCCA races - almost entirely men. Nascar races are more of a mix but still mostly men.

Maybe if you link some massive study to a hundred thousand or so people that show women have equal interest in driving and cars I might believe it. Maybe. however the entirety of my life experience shows otherwise.

I know it is really unpopular right now to acknowledge men and women are in any way different and/or have different interest, but reality does not care one whit about what is popular.
Hmm, so I'm single, maybe I should hang out at car shows. And I can drive manual w/ the best of them, but a good stick sure is hard to find these days. ;-)

Old 07-26-2018, 01:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Ew. I hate that shiny armor-all finish. (does this count as an unpopular opinion?)
Probably among old school car guys who used to armor-all their steering wheel and pedals

I liked the way it shined because it showed me where I missed a spot! That and the old smell of a freshly Armor-All coated interior.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
EVs are getting upwards of 250 miles out of them now. Again, many studies have concluded that 80 percent of drivers drive less than 40 miles a day. Even at 35 miles a day, that's 12,000 miles a year, which is considered average miles driven. If you're regularly driving over 100 miles a day, you either need to move closer to work or closer to where your hobby is. If you occasionally drive that far, you can get away with a PHEV. On my Volt I can drive on electric 99% of the time and top off at the gas station once every 4-6 months.

We don't expect Civics to tow 4 horse trailers, and we don't expect F350s to be wonderful road racers, but we somehow expect that all EVs be 100% perfect for 100% of every POSSIBLE use case, or they are 100% worthless. And that's BS. 80% of drivers could use the capabilities of the average EV right now as a primary or secondary car and not be inconvenienced. 80% is not "niche." 60% of households have 2 or more cars currently. THat means without too much effort, 60% of households could have an EV as the commuter car and a gas vehicle as the long distance driver. 60% is also not "niche."

And again, you start every day in an EV with a "Full Tank." You have to have quick refills in a gas car because you can't DO that with a gas car. You don't get to fill up at home every night in a gas car. It's a completely different mindset.
You only get to start each day in an EV with a "Full Tank" if you are in a place with the equipment to fill it up. On a road trip that could be quite different (hundreds of miles) than where you want to be, and can be, with gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive