U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
2,210 posts, read 932,574 times
Reputation: 6233

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are plenty that still do look like SUVs, ford explorer, 4 door jeeps, honda pilot. It seems to me boxy is actually coming back.
The new Pilot dropped the box type appearance and now resembles a CRV on steroids. I bought a certified used 15 model Pilot in 2016 when I actually went to buy a new 16 model. The reason I chose the 15 was the box appearance. Since Iíve been driving Pilots since 2004 Iím not sure what Iíll get when itís time to get a new one since it is not likely they will go back to the old body style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
30,041 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Reputation: 22596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That's why I like the original boxy crossover SUV, Subaru Forester. The best visibility of any SUV, and one of the best driving vehicles in the snow.
Do you think they have the best visibility? It's been a while since I test drove one but back then ~ I sat up much higher in the Ford Escape than I did in the Forester. Which, since I'm short, gave me better visibility. But that was several years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The new Pilot dropped the box type appearance and now resembles a CRV on steroids. I bought a certified used 15 model Pilot in 2016 when I actually went to buy a new 16 model. The reason I chose the 15 was the box appearance. Since Iíve been driving Pilots since 2004 Iím not sure what Iíll get when itís time to get a new one since it is not likely they will go back to the old body style.
I feel the same way. My last two cars were Ford Escapes - perfect size for me - but I really do not like the new style.


I'm feeling just a bit sad as my son just drove away in my 09 Ford Escape. It was tan and clean with leather seats and I'm going to miss it very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
19,510 posts, read 17,758,490 times
Reputation: 17306
I for one am glad the box look is going away. Could not stand the look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 782,605 times
Reputation: 2841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm looking for a 'boxy' SUV as we speak! I just gave my son my 09 Ford Explorer and am looking. Honda Pilot (older models) seems promising and a few others I've seen.


To me . all the newer SUV's just look like some version of a station wagon.
Check out the Toyota 4Runner. Body on frame construction, reliable, great visibility, and great on and off road performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,241 posts, read 4,576,764 times
Reputation: 9696
What most people call SUVs, or (worse) trucks, these days are actually crossovers built on car frames, not truck frames. Your Highlander, Pilot, Sorento, Santa Fe, Rav4, CRV, Sportage and Tucson are built on car frames. Something like the 4Runner, Sequoia, Suburban, etc. are SUVs.

Mileage requirements are for an entire fleet. With booming sales of CUVs and SUVs, getting better mileage out of them is necessary so going away from the box look is important. Personally I think we're in a great period of engineering. Even just 15 years ago, getting cars this size/weight with this type of power and mileage wasn't very common. Even sports cars like the Corvette with over 400 HP are getting 25 mpg. My 2003 Z06 got close to 30 mpg while cruising in 6th gear on the interstate at 70-75 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,656 posts, read 7,532,081 times
Reputation: 7499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
What most people call SUVs, or (worse) trucks, these days are actually crossovers built on car frames, not truck frames. Your Highlander, Pilot, Sorento, Santa Fe, Rav4, CRV, Sportage and Tucson are built on car frames. Something like the 4Runner, Sequoia, Suburban, etc. are SUVs.

Mileage requirements are for an entire fleet. With booming sales of CUVs and SUVs, getting better mileage out of them is necessary so going away from the box look is important. Personally I think we're in a great period of engineering. Even just 15 years ago, getting cars this size/weight with this type of power and mileage wasn't very common. Even sports cars like the Corvette with over 400 HP are getting 25 mpg. My 2003 Z06 got close to 30 mpg while cruising in 6th gear on the interstate at 70-75 mph.
I am not up with all this suv, cuv, crossover etc stuff.
What the hell is a cuv?

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
 
13,408 posts, read 6,698,948 times
Reputation: 12875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
What most people call SUVs, or (worse) trucks, these days are actually crossovers built on car frames, not truck frames. Your Highlander, Pilot, Sorento, Santa Fe, Rav4, CRV, Sportage and Tucson are built on car frames. Something like the 4Runner, Sequoia, Suburban, etc. are SUVs.

Mileage requirements are for an entire fleet. With booming sales of CUVs and SUVs, getting better mileage out of them is necessary so going away from the box look is important. Personally I think we're in a great period of engineering. Even just 15 years ago, getting cars this size/weight with this type of power and mileage wasn't very common. Even sports cars like the Corvette with over 400 HP are getting 25 mpg. My 2003 Z06 got close to 30 mpg while cruising in 6th gear on the interstate at 70-75 mph.
I used to sell Toyotas so I am more familiar with those. The Highlander is more soccar mom. The 4Runner is for someone that wants something closer to an actual utility vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,776 posts, read 14,953,131 times
Reputation: 9588
The older Nissan Xterra with the frame has turned into a cult car. Whoever owns the last one is driving a $100,000 vehicle and probably doesn't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 1,015,995 times
Reputation: 2819
What about the Nissan Cube? Any chance of that turning into a cult car. That's as boxy as can be. I have one, I would love it to be worth 100k someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 AM
 
13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Reputation: 25398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I am not up with all this suv, cuv, crossover etc stuff.
What the hell is a cuv?

Bob.
A unibody car with the AWD, ground clearance, and short front/rear overhang to be classified as a light truck for CAFE fleet fuel economy without the weight penalty of a full frame. A crossover or crossover utility vehicle.

Itís CAFE that makes all the auto companies design family haulers that way. The rest is marketing to convince people to buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top