U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,331,698 times

Advertisements

SUV's are still truck like....Tahoe's, Expedition, Sequoya...etc.

The problem is for whatever reason people are getting Crossovers/CUV's confused with SUV's. Some of it may even be due to dip**** marketing people for the car manufacturers trying to market CUV's as SUV's intentionally to try to push a product.

CUV's are really just one of the manufacturer's front wheel drive car platforms with a goofy body that is sort of a cross between a car and a minivan. Thus the name crossover and the reason they look sort of weird. They are mostly soccer mom cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 03:54 PM
KCZ

1,669 posts, read 969,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The older Nissan Xterra with the frame has turned into a cult car. Whoever owns the last one is driving a $100,000 vehicle and probably doesn't know it.

I love mine, which is actually Xterra #3. That boxy rear provides a lot more usable cargo space than the chopped and rounded abominations being made today.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:53 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,738,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
They used to be nice and boxy but now they make all so "sleek" looking that they look like hatchbacks on stilts.
Because they basically ARE hatchbacks with additional ground clearance.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM

716 posts, read 2,765,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I love mine, which is actually Xterra #3. That boxy rear provides a lot more usable cargo space than the chopped and rounded abominations being made today.
I love the Nissa Xterra, a co-worker bought a used one, and it's just the kind of SUV I'm referring to--I have a 2003 Pilot that is ready to die, and the new Pilots are atrocious looking (plus very expensive).

I wish Nissa never stopped making the Xterra. It seems that all the car companies are making the similar looking SUVs now. Can't tell them apart

Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,161 times
The original SUV. International Harvester Scout:

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

4,293 posts, read 1,295,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Safety regulations, mpg requirements. Most of them are based off of cars and lack a true frame.
SUV is a body on frame a cuv like they are talking about are a unibody frame design. SUVs still look mostly the same look at the Chevrolet Suburban, and the Ford Expedition, and the GMC Yucon.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 AM

People should learn the difference between a CUV and a SUV because apparently everyone thinks they are the same.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:36 AM

1,062 posts, read 461,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The original SUV. International Harvester Scout:

The IH Scout was NOT the first SUV. That honor goes to the Chevy/GMC Suburban............

"The Chevrolet Suburban is a full-size SUV from Chevrolet. It is the longest continuous use automobile nameplate in production, starting in 1935 for the 1935 U.S. model year, and has traditionally been one of General Motors' most profitable vehicles.[1] The 1935 first generation Carryall Suburban was one of the first production all-metal bodied station wagons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Suburban

The IH Scout has a much shorter history.........

"The International Harvester Scout is an off-road vehicle produced by International Harvester from 1961 to 1980"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...arvester_Scout

Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,595,177 times
If we're going to be sticklers about the first SUV, the first vehicle to be called SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) was the Ford Explorer. Ford invented that term specifically for the Explorer to emphasize it's outdoorsy nature. There were other vehicles like SUVs before that, but they were always called wagons:

Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
We talking actual SUVs or crossovers here?
Correct seems people are grouping SUVís and CUVís into the same group, there totally different all full size SUVís have a full ladder truck frame and rear wheel drive all CUVís are all unibody and front wheel drive most full size SUVís are still boxy looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or