Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 PM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The port at Jacksonville, Florida is one of the biggest ports in the country for vehicles entering and leaving the USA. Drive any length of I-10 in Florida and you see the trailered new cars fresh off the boat heading westward along that road, and possible even more trailers full of vehicles bought at auction headed eastward to the port with an ultimate destination of some place overseas where they can be sold for good profit.
You should see the ones on I-65 headed for Mexico. Many times it’ll be a Chrysler minivan towing another minivan, with the words “in tow” across the back window. Sometimes it’ll be a convoy of them creeping along at 55 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,322,783 times
I drive a cheap car I bought a couple years ago for $1800 had to do some work to it off the bat needed a sensor . I’ve also had to do get spark plugs , brakes .

Sometimes I’ve seen some very cheap lease deals on leasehackr and I sometimes wonder if I would of been better off going that route

I think with repairs and maintenance since you don’t pay it all up front some people don’t really calculate it all .

Here is an example of someone that got a lease on a 2018 GMC Terrain for about $100 month
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/98-mo...in-sle/38991/7

Low miles at 10k a year but not everyone drives a ton .

I think it can be a good alternative for some people .

Old 07-24-2018, 10:42 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,039,716 times
My father told me, back in the 1980's, that when buying a used car, expect to put another $1500 into it to make it right.

People tend to unload their (used) car when the car needs some sort of expensive repair. They figure that instead of paying for the repair, they'd rather spend the same amount towards the purchase of a new or much younger car.

And usually, when I buy a used car for cash, I've never hit that $1500 mark to make the car drive-able and pass inspection. But since, I only buy manual transmission Honda Civics, that's easy to do. And when I do use a professional mechanic, I never go to a car dealership for the service. Independent shops are much more reasonably priced for the same work.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My father told me, back in the 1980's, that when buying a used car, expect to put another $1500 into it to make it right.

People tend to unload their (used) car when the car needs some sort of expensive repair. They figure that instead of paying for the repair, they'd rather spend the same amount towards the purchase of a new or much younger car.

And usually, when I buy a used car for cash, I've never hit that $1500 mark to make the car drive-able and pass inspection. But since, I only buy manual transmission Honda Civics, that's easy to do. And when I do use a professional mechanic, I never go to a car dealership for the service. Independent shops are much more reasonably priced for the same work.
Yeah that makes sense . A used car can turn into a money pit at some point.
Plus the stress of having it break down .

How many Civics have you owned ? You drive them for a certain period and then sell them ?

Old 07-25-2018, 03:35 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,111,960 times
Quote:

And sometimes you buy that used car and drive it for years with no problems, that's why the say never sell your car to someone you know. I had a coworker who had a string of problems with his 15 year old car, it was always going in the shop nickle and dimeing him to death, he decided to sell it before something else broke on it, another coworker ended up buying it from him, that guy ended up driving it for the next 6 years he worked there(and maybe longer) with no problems and only took it to the shop for tuneups, oil changes and the like. while the coworker who sold it had saddled himself with a car payment it turned out he did not need, it seems he had replaced so many parts on that car that he basically sold the coworker who bought it a brand new car for $600 lol.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:46 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,498,900 times
They cost more. I also bought my 1st car for 500, my second for 800. This was a long time ago, late 80's and then 96'. 3rd was 1250 I seem to recall. Then I got the next from a dealership for 2500 I think. As I got better jobs I got better cars. I still have never bought a new car and probably won't. Does not seem worth it and I am not into status.

My dad's car which I need to sell at some point is dangerous to drive I found out so that would have been an "affordable" car, was going to sell it for about 600-700 bucks 2000 Ford Taurus. I took it for an inspection for him when he was alive and the damn car JUMPED 2 feet as I shifted into park!

So, I think they are out there on CL here too in Austin. You are in FW? just did a CL search. I put in your zip code and did a radius of 8 miles, owners, not dealers, price 500-1500 and this is what I got.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/search...max_price=1500
Not too many driveable and decent, but some.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that makes sense . A used car can turn into a money pit at some point.
Plus the stress of having it break down .

How many Civics have you owned ? You drive them for a certain period and then sell them ?
Well, my first Hondas were bought in the 1980's. I had three used CVCC hatchbacks, a '74 bought for $500. And it was an awesome little city car that could also hold my electric bass amp setup. I had it for a couple of years, but it developed electrical issues because a prior owner had taken off the steering wheel and when putting it back on, crushed some of the wires. But by then, I had discovered a cool Honda only independent garage. I ended up buying two CVCC's from them, ones that they had bought from customers, then refurbished them mechanically. They both came with a six month warranty from the garage. I kept both concurrently, the brown 4-speed was my winter car, the shiny red 5-speed was my summer car. I had both of them happily for many years.

In 1995, I sold cars at a Honda dealership and ended up selling myself a '94 Si with 24K bought at an auction. I drove that car for 21 years and retired her with 435K on the odometer. I did a lot of antique shows all over the US in that car. But also, in the middle of that period, I bought a $2500 1994 Acura Integra GSR sedan with 180K miles, and also a $500 '92 DX hatchback as a city beater car.

The Integra I bought because it was so cheap. I had thoughts of putting the engine into a Civic. But after sitting in my back yard for a winter, with only an oil change and a new battery, I took a great road trip to California from MA, with my husband (then best friend). We changed the brakes in CA, but other than that, the car was really awesome for many years.

The $500 DX was great for many years also, until someone drove their Porsche Cayenne into it one night.

I have a '89 Civic Si to be turned into some sort of track car. I currently drive a 2003 Si.

I've owned a lot of Hondas. I really like the way they handle,they are fun to drive, they have great greenhouse, awesome cargo space and are super reliable. And they are pretty fuel efficient, despite how aggressively I tend to drive.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
And sometimes you buy that used car and drive it for years with no problems, that's why the say never sell your car to someone you know. I had a coworker who had a string of problems with his 15 year old car, it was always going in the shop nickle and dimeing him to death, he decided to sell it before something else broke on it, another coworker ended up buying it from him, that guy ended up driving it for the next 6 years he worked there(and maybe longer) with no problems and only took it to the shop for tuneups, oil changes and the like. while the coworker who sold it had saddled himself with a car payment it turned out he did not need, it seems he had replaced so many parts on that car that he basically sold the coworker who bought it a brand new car for $600 lol.
Agree!! Your coworker sold that car too soon. Why didn't his mechanics tell him not to give up on the car that he fixed everything on??

With my Hondas, I feel that they certain things like timing belts, water pumps and such need to be replaced every 90K miles or seven years. And other things like starter motors, ignitors and main relays need replacement every 10 years. And radiator hoses and temperature gauges are on their own cycle of needing replacement. Rubber items will also get tired and cracked from age.

I don't mind having a timing belt in my car instead of having a timing chain, since it makes me think about when to replace the water pump also.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Well, my first Hondas were bought in the 1980's. I had three used CVCC hatchbacks, a '74 bought for $500. And it was an awesome little city car that could also hold my electric bass amp setup. I had it for a couple of years, but it developed electrical issues because a prior owner had taken off the steering wheel and when putting it back on, crushed some of the wires. But by then, I had discovered a cool Honda only independent garage. I ended up buying two CVCC's from them, ones that they had bought from customers, then refurbished them mechanically. They both came with a six month warranty from the garage. I kept both concurrently, the brown 4-speed was my winter car, the shiny red 5-speed was my summer car. I had both of them happily for many years.

In 1995, I sold cars at a Honda dealership and ended up selling myself a '94 Si with 24K bought at an auction. I drove that car for 21 years and retired her with 435K on the odometer. I did a lot of antique shows all over the US in that car. But also, in the middle of that period, I bought a $2500 1994 Acura Integra GSR sedan with 180K miles, and also a $500 '92 DX hatchback as a city beater car.

The Integra I bought because it was so cheap. I had thoughts of putting the engine into a Civic. But after sitting in my back yard for a winter, with only an oil change and a new battery, I took a great road trip to California from MA, with my husband (then best friend). We changed the brakes in CA, but other than that, the car was really awesome for many years.

The $500 DX was great for many years also, until someone drove their Porsche Cayenne into it one night.

I have a '89 Civic Si to be turned into some sort of track car. I currently drive a 2003 Si.

I've owned a lot of Hondas. I really like the way they handle,they are fun to drive, they have great greenhouse, awesome cargo space and are super reliable. And they are pretty fuel efficient, despite how aggressively I tend to drive.
Very interesting post . I haven’t heard of places that sell with a 6 month warranty like that seems like a good way to go . I’ve heard of certified preowned that come with warranties but I know that’s different .

That’s amazing about the Si driven to 435k .

My wife actually has a 2008 Honda Accord coupe V6 .. she has about 205,000 miles on it but got another car .. not because she had problems but we had a baby so she got a CRV , She always took it to the dealer but they said it needed about $1500 in work .. well according to them .. she was looking to sell it but market value with that many miles is so low .
I think it’s hard for her to sell it too since she really likes the car . It is a nice car and more fun to drive versus my car .

I’m considering selling my car and just keeping her old car . Not sure what your opinion is on the 2008 accords long term .
She did maintain it very well throughout the years but I guess I worry that it’ll be costly to maintain with that many miles .

I don’t want a big payment for sure though .

Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,111,960 times
Quote:
Agree!! Your coworker sold that car too soon. Why didn't his mechanics tell him not to give up on the car that he fixed everything on??

With my Hondas, I feel that they certain things like timing belts, water pumps and such need to be replaced every 90K miles or seven years. And other things like starter motors, ignitors and main relays need replacement every 10 years. And radiator hoses and temperature gauges are on their own cycle of needing replacement. Rubber items will also get tired and cracked from age.

I don't mind having a timing belt in my car instead of having a timing chain, since it makes me think about when to replace the water pump also.

I don't think that guy was very mechanical, he had gotten that car(Honda prelude) in highschool new and drove it around for 13 1/2 years with no problems so he never had to learn how to work on cars(like us guys who drove beaters in highschool) and in the last year stuff started going out, he would have something fixed and a few months later something else would go out. I guess he did not know that thats the life cycle of honda's

They last for 12 - 15 years with few to no problems then stuff starts wearing out you get them fixed and then you get another 12 - 15 years with few - no problems.
Thats why most 30 year old beaters you see on the road are hondas, thats also why in many parts of the country they are the #1 most stolen car (junkyards pay better than average for Honda/Acura parts because they stay on the road so long).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive