Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 07:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,167,579 times

Advertisements

When you are driving on unfamiliar roads, the ever-changing speed limits makes you a target for speeding tickets. What if I could set the cruise on say speed limit+5 and never worry about how fast I am going. My '16 Lexus doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM

2,872 posts, read 2,042,891 times
Sounds like a description of Porsche's InnoDrive.
It predictively optimises your speed. With the aid of high-resolution navigation data and information supplied by the radar and video sensors, Porsche InnoDrive determines speed limits and topographical road features, such as gradients or corner radii, along your route even before you reach them – and modifies the gearshift strategy and speed of the Panamera accordingly. For intelligent driving and a significant efficiency advantage.
My 2015 Macan uses GPS and maps to indicate the speed limit for the road I'm currently on via one of the gauges but it doesn't adjust my speed if the cruise control is engaged. It also misses temp. zones i.e. construction where the limit may be lowered for some period of time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lexus and other manufacturers are cooking up something similar.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM

18,886 posts, read 27,342,285 times
SAAB had this. It was linked to satnav and won't allow go above speed limit. It flopped badly. This been done years ago, when SAAB was still around.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,118,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
When you are driving on unfamiliar roads, the ever-changing speed limits makes you a target for speeding tickets. What if I could set the cruise on say speed limit+5 and never worry about how fast I am going. My '16 Lexus doesn't have it.
I have read that there are systems that do this. Unfortunately, it depends on always having the latest updates to information; if you don't, you could be in for trouble. Also, a system might NOT have a change point listed. I'd hate to go barreling into small town at 55 and get arrested because the car's system didn't have the one sign that indicated the speed limit dropped from 55 to 25 or 35.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,502,588 times
The systems are pretty complete with information about speed limits, usually including construction zones. Waze tells you when you are exceeding the speed limit and i have never seen it wrong.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:17 PM

61,392 posts, read 86,312,362 times
Technically - I think, problems might occur because the car takes speed limit data from the built-in map. When you engage TACC for the stored speed limit, EAP will set your speed at the limit stored in the map. It will do this regardless of the actual real life speed limit. There are a lot of speed limit mistakes in the map so it happens quite often, therefore this system wouldn't be reliable.
Also, it could limit you to drive slower lane, if the traffic flow on the right lane is faster than posted speed limit.
I think Tesla models have this feature.
The cruise control stuff was discussed here:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...-automatically

Why not use a traffic app and set to give you speed limit warnings when driving over speed limit. You can set it for exact speed limit or few miles over/under.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,683,417 times
Distronic + by Mercedes Benz can do this for you. The camera can read the speed signs and it will come up on your dash and alert you to the speed and set the speed of the ACC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBvjfgQN6eY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive