Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I thought there wasn't going to be a "next generation Ford Focus platform". Ford said it was killing off the Focus, along with all other cars that it makes except for the Mustang.

I guess we'll see.

No, we were still getting the Ford Focus Active here, which is the slightly lifted wagon version. The Focus will still be made worldwide, just not every version will be sold here in the US. So there's still a platform to make this pickup from.

It'll probably be a lot like the current Honda Ridgeline, and less like the old VW caddy or Dodge Rampage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I thought there wasn't going to be a "next generation Ford Focus platform". Ford said it was killing off the Focus, along with all other cars that it makes except for the Mustang.

I guess we'll see.
In the USA focus will not be available but in Europe they will still be available remember European roads are smaller then that of the USA so in Europe they drive smaller cars more than they do SUVs and cuvs.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I like this guy already. I had an idea of chopping the top off a prius and making it a hauler.

Trailers are useful, but i always hated driving with mine. Makes the vehicle so long, so weird to drive on the highway, i never got comfortable with the thing back there.
Ever see a full size van before it gets it’s box put on all the big3 have them and not that hard to take off and put a pickup bed on them instead.

Attachment 200621

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
If Toyota would release a Tacoma but of the size they had in the early 1990's I'd buy it in a second. Not everyone wants a monster truck. Remember, 80% of car buyers live in urban areas where space is at a premium.
Me, too. Small, handy little trucks are very popular. Heck, people are selling 25 year-old Nissan Hardbodies for $4k!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Not everyone wants a monster truck. Remember, 80% of car buyers live in urban areas where space is at a premium.
Most of the big manly pickups these days are merely driven around. They don't haul anything. But the drivers wouldn't be caught dead in tiny little pickup. It has nothing to do with practicality. It has everything to do with tying a person's sense of worth to the size and style of their vehicle.

As the owner of a '86 Toyota and a newer Tundra, the '86 is nicer to drive everywhere, except for highway cruising. The '86 handles and maneuvers better, visibility much better (especially over the hood), and getting in and out is much easier. Big trucks are just ponderous and hard to park. The Tundra literally weighs 2x as much and has 3x the horsepower, but the payload rating is the same.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Me, too. Small, handy little trucks are very popular. Heck, people are selling 25 year-old Nissan Hardbodies for $4k!
This would be the only type of truck I would buy. Light and fuel efficient enough to be a daily commuter, enough utility for those rare occasions I need to haul a load that won’t fit in a hatchback or trunk with seats folded down.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
The picture in the article is at least 9 years old. They made those for the South American market until 2010. I'm sure the new one would look much more modern.

If Toyota would release a Tacoma but of the size they had in the early 1990's I'd buy it in a second. Not everyone wants a monster truck. Remember, 80% of car buyers live in urban areas where space is at a premium.
The early 90s versions of truck sizes were about perfect.

Minis: Toyota, Nissan, Ranger, S10 etc
Mids: Dakotas, T100
Fulls: Anything bigger than the above

When I see this era of fullsize trucks around, many of them regular cabs with true long beds (8’), I wish they were still made. Nowadays, the mids are nearly fullsize.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The early 90s versions of truck sizes were about perfect.

Minis: Toyota, Nissan, Ranger, S10 etc
Mids: Dakotas, T100
Fulls: Anything bigger than the above

When I see this era of fullsize trucks around, many of them regular cabs with true long beds (8’), I wish they were still made. Nowadays, the mids are nearly fullsize.
Especially when you see them parked side by side. A Silverado of the 80s and 90s is barely bigger than. Colorado today.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Ever see a full size van before it gets it’s box put on all the big3 have them and not that hard to take off and put a pickup bed on them instead.

Attachment 200621
Yeah, but a full size van is still pretty big. I have a Ford Transit. It's definitely not compact.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Yeah, real men also drop a pallet with 5000 lbs of bricks into the bed from 20 feet in the air. If you can't do that with your truck your not a real man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXQvfGmlyk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive