Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times

Advertisements

Never buy anything just out. No thanks Ford. Keep working on it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As long as you’re realistic in what the vehicles capability is I don’t see a issue. Not everything me needs a 8 foot bed dually diesel crew cab. Not everyone wants a midsize truck either. Lots of people had mini trucks in the 80s that were about the size of that Focus truck.

Imo the only truck today that’s close to the same size as the 80/90s mini trucks is the Frontier. Even the frontier is bigger than the old SR5 Toyota’s. Everything else is about Midsize (Dodge Dakota T100 dimensions)
Not really. I sold an early 90s Toyota truck and got a 2nd gen Frontier, which is the current gen. It was marketed as a midsize and I think it is. I noticed a fair bit of extra width in the cab and bed when I made that switch. But the Frontier, being an “older design” now, is indeed smaller on the outside than new GM “midsize” trucks. I bet the new Ford Ranger will also be bigger than midsize.

Geez, do manufacturers really think that longtime truck owners do not notice the trend?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not really. I sold an early 90s Toyota truck and got a 2nd gen Frontier, which is the current gen. It was marketed as a midsize and I think it is. I noticed a fair bit of extra width in the cab and bed when I made that switch. But the Frontier, being an “older design” now, is indeed smaller on the outside than new GM “midsize” trucks. I bet the new Ford Ranger will also be bigger than midsize.

Geez, do manufacturers really think that longtime truck owners do not notice the trend?
Yes american automakers do know what’s sell and they did have the Ranger and the S-10 small pickups but guess what they did not sell. They are not going to retool an assembly plant to sell them to the few people who still want them. They have to sell over a 100,000 a month to make it worth while and the sales are not there for that size pickup again at least for the big3 automakers. The new Ranger is going to be bigger than the older version. They build what the people want and full size pickups are it. And do you think that Ford or GM would of stop making them if they were selling well.

Last edited by easy62; 08-02-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
A Ford Focus-camino would be cheap and practical, not a status symbol. Which means that 90% of truck buyers in the U.S. would not be interested.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
A Ford Focus-camino would be cheap and practical, not a status symbol. Which means that 90% of truck buyers in the U.S. would not be interested.
I’m sure Ford will do a survey of some sorts to see what people think about it, that’s why they have a very large marketing department.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Yup, it is a “chicken or egg” situation.

If someone needs a truck and can ONLY get it configured as desired in the humungo category of trucks, it is assumed that he “wanted” a full size truck. That might not have been the case at all. He might have wanted a smaller truck with those features but the manufacturer removed them as choices long ago unless it was a full size. In effect, they are forcing the compact buyers to get huge trucks—or no truck, or a smaller truck that lacks the desired features.

You cannot buy a vehicle that is not being made AND offered to the US market. I read that earlier generations of small trucks and SUVs are indeed being made, but they are not available to US buyers. If the manufacturers really want to know, they should ask whether potential truck buyers would prefer the small sizes if fhey were available.
That's why I bought an older Toyota Tacoma for hauling wood at my cabin. I needed a small truck and would have bought a new one if they were available in size small. Nothing fit it so I bought used with 560k miles on it. The new Tacoma won't fit down an ATV trail where I cut wood.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Some of my relatives had those Datsun, Chevy Luv, and Toyota trucks when they were tiny. Though low on power, they said it was fun to drive hard off-road. Sometimes it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

That’s why I said close. The Frontier is about as close to a minitruck as you can get today. Everything else is about the size of what was considered midsize.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:13 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m sure Ford will do a survey of some sorts to see what people think about it, that’s why they have a very large marketing department.

Yea, Not sure what demographics they are going after. Young drivers, a pickup, No. Pure pickup truck lovers, with a 1.5 liter engine, No! But Ford and their better ideas to go with mostly pickups and SUV's, they just might offer it. Hopefully it wont have their troublesome CVT transmission that the Focus had.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Imo the only truck today that’s close to the same size as the 80/90s mini trucks is the Frontier. Even the frontier is bigger than the old SR5 Toyota’s. Everything else is about Midsize (Dodge Dakota T100 dimensions)
Actually the Nissan Frontier is a mid-size truck now. They used to be smaller, years ago, but got upsized. There is no small compact truck on the market today. The new Ranger is a mid-size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive