Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 AM

133 posts, read 174,520 times

Advertisements

I went to pick out a VW Tiguan. Dealer talked me into test driving a Golf R. Well, all I can think about is how much fun that car was. The next morning my left knee was hurting. I've never had knee problems.

I really want a stick shift now. I've now picked out a VW Alltrack. (I'm a station wagon lover.)

Questions:

1) Will the knee issue go away after a little while?
2) Would you buy a manual car at 58?

Two notes: I don't really need a new car. My current car is 5 years old with only 30K miles. I'll probably keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
I leased a new VW Beetle in 2000 for my wife. It was yellow, had the turbo engine and a 5 speed stick. I just could not visualize a Beetle with an automatic.

Although that car was a real hoot to drive, my wife discovered that her left hip and knee joints had suffered due to aging. She had problems engaging the clutch so she didn't drive it that much.

At 58, you're not a kid any more. I'd avoid the stick shift.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,530,946 times
If a 15 minute test drive of a car with a clutch pedal is causing your left leg/knee to hurt, then perhaps you may need to first address your exercise regimen.

I'm 55 and have driven manual transmission cars my whole life. . . well, since age 16. My current whip is a BMW M3, which has a clutch pedal action that I would characterize as "purposeful". I've never had leg or knee pain as a result.

Another thing to think about is that perhaps your driving posture was not correct. I need to pull the seat closer to the pedals than if I was driving an automatic. Otherwise I may overly extend my left leg, possibly causing my torso to twist and putting stress on my lower back and leg.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,212,648 times
i'm 53 and I just bought a miata with manual transmission (entertained the idea of a gold R for a while). Experienced the painful left knee within the first week of ownership, but it was due to me getting in/out of the car with one leg instead 2. Since I now sit butt first with both legs on the ground and get out by swinging both legs out first, the knee problems have gone away.

If you get stuck in traffic very often, I would avoid the car because it will kill your knee.

The golf R is an ethusiast car that has been compared to the Porsche 911 but do be careful if there are any quirks and do some research to see if you can live with such a car.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:44 AM

6,706 posts, read 4,355,906 times
Automatics take the fun out of driving, especially if you happen to purchase a sporty looking car. But if your physically not able, thats another story.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,183,014 times
Don't drive in a hilly city like Seattle or San Francisco. Driving up hill with lot's of traffic can be a real problem. it's hard not to roll back a little when the light changes. I was always nervous about hitting the car behind me. It never happened, but for hilly city driving give me an automatic every time.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM

17,467 posts, read 17,280,197 times
Can you walk a mile at a brisk pace without pain the next day? Can you do a few lunges on each leg without pain? If the problem is muscle development then go ahead and get the car you want. If the problem is the onset of arthritis then get an automatic and see your doctor for advice. My wife has had knee surgery for arthritis before she was 50 and will soon need both knees replaced. She physically cannot drive a manual transmission vehicle and so I don’t buy myself a manual transmission vehicle. Any car I drive, she has to be capable of driving should the need arise.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If a 15 minute test drive of a car with a clutch pedal is causing your left leg/knee to hurt, then perhaps you may need to first address your exercise regimen.

I'm 55 and have driven manual transmission cars my whole life. . . well, since age 16. My current whip is a BMW M3, which has a clutch pedal action that I would characterize as "purposeful". I've never had leg or knee pain as a result.

Another thing to think about is that perhaps your driving posture was not correct. I need to pull the seat closer to the pedals than if I was driving an automatic. Otherwise I may overly extend my left leg, possibly causing my torso to twist and putting stress on my lower back and leg.
Most 55 yr olds don't use the word "whip" when talking about their car!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Don't drive in a hilly city like Seattle or San Francisco. Driving up hill with lot's of traffic can be a real problem. it's hard not to roll back a little when the light changes. I was always nervous about hitting the car behind me. It never happened, but for hilly city driving give me an automatic every time.
New cars all have "hill assist"......the car holds itself on the hill for 2-3 seconds to give you time to get the forward momentum going. Even most automatics have it also.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

The golf R is an ethusiast car that has been compared to the Porsche 911 but do be careful if there are any quirks and do some research to see if you can live with such a car.
Golf R is simply ruined when they only offer the 4 door hatchback as the only configuration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive