U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM

3,570 posts, read 5,716,317 times

Advertisements

It's been 12 years since I last purchased a new vehicle from a dealership. Beyond what is listed on the sticker as associated costs of the vehicle (and yes, I will be negotiating all that) and taxes what are legit add on costs I will be expected to pay???

Is dealer prep, shipping ect already included on the sticker?

Document fees ect?

I'm concerned about bogus charges as last time a dealership attempted to add on luxury tax long after it had been repealed and I would bet they tacked on other things as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM

5,354 posts, read 5,590,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
It's been 12 years since I last purchased a new vehicle from a dealership.
I'm concerned about bogus charges .
Any added fees may vary by state/location and by the dealerships themselves.

Many/some dealers add a 2nd list of added costs. Some may attempt to add seat scotchguard or some phony paint sealant. All of that may be negotiated out or may not depending on dealership.

Documentation fees are phony.
Decades ago there were none (in my area).
Documentation fees may be mandatory at certain dealerships and has to be paid. Also can be negotiated out.

Loan origination fees are phony also. But most pay something. I did not on my last new vehicle purchase.

I have purchased new vehicles with a documentation fee - all I did was have them lower the transaction price to cover the said fees.

In purchasing any new vehicle one has to be able to just walk away. Visit other dealerships.
My last new vehicle I visited 11 dealerships before I got a reasonable acceptable price.

Some dealerships play games while others do not.

Enough customers just give in and pay the fees as they do not have the time, ability, or determination to shop further away to different dealership.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,501,375 times
Just negotiate out-the-door price and you won’t be hit with any surprises and they can fudge the numbers all they want as long as the price stays the same.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:55 AM

5,354 posts, read 5,590,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Just negotiate out-the-door price and you won’t be hit with any surprises and they can fudge the numbers all they want as long as the price stays the same.
With an old friend. He was not too good as a negotiator. We did get the "out the door" price.

Then hours later the final documents stated a $75.00 loan originator fee. He paid it. As the nice lady stated that "everyone" pays this fee.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:37 PM

22,220 posts, read 10,311,930 times
I'd recommend going with a buying service.

I bought two car through Costco. Hassle free.

Then last time I decided to go in with Edmunds for the new car, and an offer from Carfax for my old car. When I got to the dealer I was up front about both. They said -- please put away the Edmunds price. We'll offer you a lower price of our own and a better price than Carfax for your trade-in. When it was all done I asked why they didn't like Edmunds. "If we sell through them, we have to pay them. So it's cheaper for us to just offer you a lower offer".

Old 08-05-2018, 03:02 PM

78,225 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Pay whatever they ask you to pay.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,044,174 times
Quote:
It's been 12 years since I last purchased a new vehicle from a dealership. Beyond what is listed on the sticker as associated costs of the vehicle (and yes, I will be negotiating all that) and taxes what are legit add on costs I will be expected to pay???

Document fees ect?

I'm concerned about bogus charges as last time a dealership attempted to add on luxury tax long after it had been repealed and I would bet they tacked on other things as well.
Expect to pay

-Car Price
-Sales Taxes or Advelorem/Tag Fee ( all depends to the state )

-Dealer Fees ($300-600)

-Tag (typically $20)

So a $20K car might have $1500-2000 added to the asking in price.

To make it simple say I will pay $XXX out the door after tag, tax, and title and its either they meet your price or not ASSUMING you are asking a reasonable price like $1-2K of sticker if it seems too high. Some dealers now will not drop a dime, because for every knowledgeable buyer, there will be 4-5 suckers that walk in afterwards they can get over on.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:52 AM

2,992 posts, read 2,159,935 times
Ive never paid any dealer "fees". Why should I? Its not my responsibility to pay for getting the car washed, or the person to fill out the paperwork. Sales tax, tag fees yes, Ill pay those, but dealer prep fees, or doc fees , or lot fees - nope! Last one that tried it lost a sale.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM

9,479 posts, read 10,223,380 times
Depends on how badly you want the car. If this is a cookie-cutter car, where there are 50 on the lot just like it, then demand that you don't have to pay it. Up to the dealer if they are willing to lose the sale or not. You can go to another dealership, find the same car and start over.

If this is a special edition car you've searched months for and it's hard to find another like it, then up to you how much you want to play the game to get out of $200 or so in additional fees only to lose the car and then have to waste more time and effort finding another one.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,614,421 times
Quote:

Document fees ect?

When getting a quote ask them to give you a Buyers Order. That document should detail all the taxes and fees that may be added to the price of the car.

I agree Doc Fees are stupid, but don’t run from a deal because of it. If one dealer has a $500 Doc Fee but charges $750 less for the car than the non-Doc Fee dealer, you’re still better off. Some states regulate doc fees so many dealers can’t negotiate that or take it away, they just lower the price of the car if they want to.

Last edited by iamweasel; 08-06-2018 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or