U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM

8,774 posts, read 5,608,950 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst.../#6067c6ee2ad8

"But that’s at the heart of the latest case of Indian automaker Mahindra Group’s Jeep-like Roxor and why FCA has filed a complaint with the federal government alleging the SUV looks just too much like the vehicles it sells that carry the Jeep brand name. In its complaint to the U.S. International Trade Commission FCA alleges the Roxor’s similarity with Jeep “dilutes” the brand and infringes on key design features such as a vertical, slotted grill and overall boxy structure. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,757,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
WOW, HappyRider . . . great find.

Interesting they look much more like a copy of the old CJ's by American Motors Corporation than Chrysler's Wranglers and, once again . . . no "CJ Model Name" being mentioned.

Very similar to Chrysler never using the "CJ Model Name" since taking over way back in 1987 after AMC shut down.
That is the same vehicle I linked to in Post 191 of the Retirement section’s “dinosaur” thread. If the little SUV is anything like Mahindra’s tiny pickup truck that was being marketed in Portland, OR ten years ago, it is one heck of a tincan.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:56 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,952,562 times
These as delivered are not street legal, but some states like here in Michigan allow you to license off road vehicles for street use with just s few modifications, safety glass, turn signals, horn, etc. There's plenty of power in that engine for 65 mph or better, the ecu's are already being reflashed.

I'm not sure I would spend that kind of money on one but even as a sidexside it's competitive. And of course FCA is using Mahindra for infringement, too close to being a real Jeep.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 PM

14,553 posts, read 9,622,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That is the same vehicle I linked to in Post 191 of the Retirement section’s “dinosaur” thread.
Darn! How did I miss that?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post

I'm not sure I would spend that kind of money on one but even as a sidexside it's competitive. And of course FCA is using Mahindra for infringement, too close to being a real Jeep.
Isn't that a little late? I mean they have a factory in Michigan churning them out right now. I searched and found a dealer 30 miles from where I live. I've also heard that India way back in the 40s got a license to build Jeeps. May be it was for the domestic market. I can't believe people would pay 20 grand for as a glorified ATV. It's gotta be street legal somehow.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM

562 posts, read 243,297 times
Not street legal. Mahindra does not want to cough up the funding for that yet. They have been planning to enter the US market with pickups for ages now but still have not managed to do so.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 PM

9,523 posts, read 7,779,851 times
"Not street legal" quite likely depends on what state you want to drive it in.
Here, all that is required to be street legal is high/low beam headlights, one tail light, one brake light, a license plate light, and a horn.
Since it has a windshield, wipers might be required.
Turn signals are not required
Oh, yeah, it must also have the proper number of digits in the VIN. If it doesn't, the computers can't handle it!

My Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs are both licensed for street use.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 PM

I must say for 20 grand you have a lot of options like a CJ5, unless you want a diesel.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 AM

398 posts, read 398,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Not street legal" quite likely depends on what state you want to drive it in.
Here, all that is required to be street legal is high/low beam headlights, one tail light, one brake light, a license plate light, and a horn.
Since it has a windshield, wipers might be required.
Do motorcycles that have windshields need wipers too?

Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,779,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Do motorcycles that have windshields need wipers too?

Interesting question. ATVs, UTVs, and side-by-sides in this state are titled, registered, and get license plates as "motorcycles".
If this thing were to be registered and licensed for street use, would it be as a "motorcycle"?
My initial thought is NO, it is quite obviously a utility vehicle, not a motorcycle, similar to the tiny pickups that were a fad for a while, but then quietly went away.
A windshield wiper requirement would be up to the State Legislature or the DMV, not me.
Note that I stated windshield wipers "might be required".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive