Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

When it's hot and I have the AC on, I crack the windows also. People tell me you should always close all the windows if you're using AC. This is also true in one's house. However, I feel more comfy if the windows are cracked open because it moves the air.

When I first get into a car and it's hot, I open the windows all the way and turn on the AC. This blows out the hot air. After five minutes I shut the windows. In the long run, isn't that a good idea?

Totally different subject:

Have you noticed that bigger cars have a rear window wiper but the wiper doesn't even clean 50% of the rear window? It's funny, almost, like you might as well not have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:54 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Do you not use your recirculate feature with your air conditioner?
Doesn't the wind noise from open window bother you?
Having window 'cracked' while a/c going is inefficient -- esp in humid conditions.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
The open windows to let the hot air put is fine.

Close all windows when you have the AC on. Your car has exhaust vents so the air does circulate and escape. Otherwise you would be building a positive pressure chamber in your car

Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
I open the windows to let out the hot air. Continuing to drive around with the windows down & A/C on just keeps bringing in hot air and is counterproductive.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
i drive with the ac on and the top down unless it's crazy hot and sunny

Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When it's hot and I have the AC on, I crack the windows also. People tell me you should always close all the windows if you're using AC. This is also true in one's house. However, I feel more comfy if the windows are cracked open because it moves the air.

When I first get into a car and it's hot, I open the windows all the way and turn on the AC. This blows out the hot air. After five minutes I shut the windows. In the long run, isn't that a good idea?
The car is not completely sealed anyways even when the recirculation feature is on. There is still some airflow that comes in and goes out the car.

If the car was perfectly sealed, you'd eventually die from lack of oxygen...

Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Opening the windows with the AC on is inefficient, but it's not going to kill anybody so you should do what you want.

Quote:

That's what the owner's manual says to do, or at least that's what it said back when I read them. I don't think it would take five minutes, though. And I really don't know that it has any real impact "in the long run".

Quote:
Totally different subject:

Have you noticed that bigger cars have a rear window wiper but the wiper doesn't even clean 50% of the rear window? It's funny, almost, like you might as well not have it.
The rear window wiper is there primarily to clear the window enough that you can see behind you until you can get someplace where you can properly clean it.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
A/C is not a Swamp Cooler. Close yer windows!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i drive with the ac on and the top down unless it's crazy hot and sunny

This. I have a little AC bubble in the convertible.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
In the 70’s I had four sixty air four windows down going 60 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive