U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 270 times

Advertisements

I live in Nevada however I purchased my 2010 car in California. I now want to sell the car and I can't locate the title for the car. I need to request a replacement title (it is in my name and has never been transferred) but I'm not sure who to request it from. CA. or NV. Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:37 PM

33,832 posts, read 41,883,302 times
What state's license plate is on the car-where is it registered? That's the MVA/DMV you'd request the duplicate title from. If you never switched the registration to Nevada that state doesn't officially know it's there.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM

7,094 posts, read 4,033,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What state's license plate is on the car-where is it registered? That's the MVA/DMV you'd request the duplicate title from. If you never switched the registration to Nevada that state doesn't officially know it's there.

Where a car is registered does not necessarily indicate where it is titled. If you finance a vehicle and move to another state, the vehicle will remain titled in the state of purchase if that is where it was originally titled. My Jeep was bought down in Arizona. When I repositioned it to Alaska, I went to the DMV and registered it in Alaska. It remained titled in Arizona. Once I paid it off, the bank sent me the Arizona title, which I took to the Alaska DMV and converted into an Alaska title.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 PM

7,094 posts, read 4,033,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowews View Post
I live in Nevada however I purchased my 2010 car in California. I now want to sell the car and I can't locate the title for the car. I need to request a replacement title (it is in my name and has never been transferred) but I'm not sure who to request it from. CA. or NV. Any advise would be appreciated.

Did you buy it in CA as a CA or NV resident? Where was it first registered? Did you pay cash or did you finance it? Once you paid the loan off, if there was one, the bank should have sent the title to you.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM

9,522 posts, read 7,777,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

The state that issued the license plates is where I would begin my quest for a duplicate title.
When you bought the vehicle in CA, did you buy from a private party or a dealer? That makes a difference in how the paperwork was handled.
Are you still making payments on the vehicle? If so, there is likely a lien on it, and you may not have the title. The lending institution probably has it, and you have to pay it in full to get the title. You can do this at the time of the sale.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,182,783 times
Generalizations again miss how titles are handled in CA and NV.

CA is a "non-issue" state for automotive titles. IOW, nobody gets a "hard copy" title … neither the owner nor the lienholder. Instead, the titles are held within the DMV computer database as a "virtual" title. There's no difference as to where the car is purchased, dealer or private seller … the new owner title is only a "virtual" title in the DMV database. The only time CA issues a paper title is upon request by an owner, typically for the purposes of selling the vehicle so that they have a document to sign over to the buyer.

If the OP bought the car in CA and had it titled/registered there when they bought it, then they wouldn't have gotten a motor vehicle title unless they specifically requested that a hard copy be sent to them.

What's unclear in the post is if they ever titled/registered the car in NV. If so, then they'd need to contact NV DMV for a duplicate title issuance.

So, OP, in which state did you title the vehicle? Your license plate registration is likely the state where the car is titled, so I'd begin by contacting DMV in that state. But you may have registered it in NV but didn't get a NV title, so then CA will still have the "virtual" title on file.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 AM

18,100 posts, read 19,861,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Generalizations again miss how titles are handled in CA and NV.

CA is a "non-issue" state for automotive titles. IOW, nobody gets a "hard copy" title … neither the owner nor the lienholder. Instead, the titles are held within the DMV computer database as a "virtual" title. There's no difference as to where the car is purchased, dealer or private seller … the new owner title is only a "virtual" title in the DMV database. The only time CA issues a paper title is upon request by an owner, typically for the purposes of selling the vehicle so that they have a document to sign over to the buyer.

If the OP bought the car in CA and had it titled/registered there when they bought it, then they wouldn't have gotten a motor vehicle title unless they specifically requested that a hard copy be sent to them.

What's unclear in the post is if they ever titled/registered the car in NV. If so, then they'd need to contact NV DMV for a duplicate title issuance.

So, OP, in which state did you title the vehicle? Your license plate registration is likely the state where the car is titled, so I'd begin by contacting DMV in that state. But you may have registered it in NV but didn't get a NV title, so then CA will still have the "virtual" title on file.

I din5 think you’re 109% right. Whenever I buy a car cash ad register it or buy a car on payment and I pay it off (the lender releases the lien and) the DMV sends me a “pink slip” (hard copy of the title) automatically. I have never requested it or not had one sent out automatically. The only time I would need to physically go and request/apply for a replacement title is if I lost the old initial title that was sent to me.

When I gave a car to a relative in Nevada, they registered the car there. I eventually got the car back from them and they gave me a Nevada title which I took with me and retransferred it in my name back in Ca. When I did that in two/three weeks I received a new Ca vehicle title nbthe mail for that car. I’m pretty sure once a paid for vehicle is registered the system automatically sends out a title. Maybe its a prompt on the screen when you go register but I never had a clerk ask if I wanted the title nor was I not sent one if a car had no lien holder.. I think it’s just a automatic feature.

The title is issued by whatever state the vehicle is registered in. So if the vehicle is registered in Ca OP needs to contact CA DMV. If Nevada is the registered state contact NV DMV

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,600,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I din5 think you’re 109% right. Whenever I buy a car cash ad register it or buy a car on payment and I pay it off (the lender releases the lien and) the DMV sends me a “pink slip” (hard copy of the title) automatically. I have never requested it or not had one sent out automatically. The only time I would need to physically go and request/apply for a replacement title is if I lost the old initial title that was sent to me.

When I gave a car to a relative in Nevada, they registered the car there. I eventually got the car back from them and they gave me a Nevada title which I took with me and retransferred it in my name back in Ca. When I did that in two/three weeks I received a new Ca vehicle title nbthe mail for that car. I’m pretty sure once a paid for vehicle is registered the system automatically sends out a title. Maybe its a prompt on the screen when you go register but I never had a clerk ask if I wanted the title nor was I not sent one if a car had no lien holder.. I think it’s just a automatic feature.

The title is issued by whatever state the vehicle is registered in. So if the vehicle is registered in Ca OP needs to contact CA DMV. If Nevada is the registered state contact NV DMV
All but the bolded. The title is where the car was originally bought, that state. They don't ship titles, even digitally from state to state. If the car was originally bought in CA, and paid off in CA, then the title resides with that state. Registration does not conclusively mean the title is now in that state. As far as I know, states don't share info like that. And yes, true hard paper copies of titles are still issued. The reason you got a Nevada Title, is because they transferred ownership on the title, and went to Nevada DMV had it titled/registered in Nevada. Cars can be registered in one state, but whereever the original title was created is where the title is.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,182,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

You are apparently unaware of CA's "virtual title" system. NO HARD COPY PAPER TITLE is "automatically sent" to any purchaser or lien holder of a motor vehicle. The only time a Paper Title will be sent out is upon specific request from the owner or the lienholder.

This is a very different title management system than almost every other state, but it's how CA has been doing their motor vehicle titles for quite some time.

Nope, it's not an "automatic feature". CA saves many dollars by not printing out a title or having the expense of an envelope and postage for all the titles that are processed each year ever since they went to the "virtual title" system. If a hard copy title is issued, it's only by a specific request. If your NV-CA title experience was recent, than somehow you requested the hard copy to be issued by the CA system.

Not necessarily so.

If the OP purchased the car in CA and titled/registered it there before moving to NV, then NV didn't have to issue a NV transferrable title to have the car registered there when the OP moved to NV.

So the OP's transferrable title may still be held in the CA DMV system unless the OP specifically had a NV transferrable title issued upon their application for registration in NV.

If the OP doesn't remember in which state they last held title to the car, then they'll have to check with NV. NV can cross reference a possible title via their registration or by tracing the VIN. If NV doesn't have a transferrable title on file for the car, then the OP will have to go back to the CA DMV virtual title system and request a trace there by VIN and reference to their last car registration address in CA.

PS: when I buy cars out of state now, Wyoming (where I live) offers me the option of getting a WY title or just getting a "non-transferrable" title issued for $15 (a lot less than the WY full title). While our county clerk front desk people will automatically assume that a WY resident will purchase the full title, for my purposes it's just as valid an ownership if the title is issued by the state where I've purchased the car and it was titled. I've done so with a number of cars recently bought in CA. At the county clerk's office at home, I have to specifically request that they do the paperwork on a "non-transferrable" title trail, which saves me money. The title trail ends up in the CA "virtual title" and unless and until I request a hard copy from CA DMV, I do not get a CA paper title. Until such time as I request one, it's purely in the CA database and there's no need for me to have that title or for CA to send me one. But when the day comes that I want to sell the vehicle, I will request and get a CA transferrable title hard copy. My WY "non-transferrable" title is clearly marked as such and on a very different title paperwork form than the full title; the non-transferrable title is purely for the convenience of the county treasurer to issue a WY registration/license plate.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-14-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM

33,832 posts, read 41,883,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
All but the bolded. The title is where the car was originally bought, that state. They don't ship titles, even digitally from state to state. If the car was originally bought in CA, and paid off in CA, then the title resides with that state. Registration does not conclusively mean the title is now in that state. As far as I know, states don't share info like that. And yes, true hard paper copies of titles are still issued. The reason you got a Nevada Title, is because they transferred ownership on the title, and went to Nevada DMV had it titled/registered in Nevada. Cars can be registered in one state, but whereever the original title was created is where the title is.
Yeah they do share.

Each state is different. I know when I've brought cars from another state to Maryland I have had to surrender the title I received from the original state to the MD MVA, which then issues me a new Maryland based title. Registration is separate and connected to the license plates (called tags here).

In fact, there are even small businesses, part of a chain, called Maryland Tag and Title which allow you, for a not so small convenience fee, to bypass the MVA.

Maryland itself issues titles to the buyer on financed cars and has an area on the title itself where lienholders are listed. When the loan is paid off the lender issues a "Release of lien" document that allows you to attach to the original encumbered title or go and have a new title issued not showing the lien.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl..._h0wHHoECAYQBA

The OP still needs to start at where the car is licensed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or