U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 11:47 AM

101 posts, read 100,380 times

Advertisements

Edit: can a mod please move this to general automotive?
I have no idea how I ended up on this subforum. I guess that's what happens when I'm posting from a mobile device... Mod note: Thread moved.

I recently did a bit of engine work. Afterwards noticed a burnt rubber smell a little bit of smoking. From inspection notice that I had routed one of the vacuum lines too close to the exhaust and it melted.
I replace the line and placed into it more secure location. I no longer see smoke but I continue to smell burnt plastic or rubber after a couple minutes at operating temperature.
I’ve looked around and can’t see any signs of overheating or burning anywhere else.
Due to the fact that the line was on the rear side of the engine and will require some contortionist movement To be able to actually see I, i can’t confirm, but my belief is that the melted plastic dropped onto the exhaust or another warm part and continues to fume every time I turn it on.

Will it eventually burn itself off or am I going to have to scrape it off somehow or someway?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-14-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive