U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 AM

6,941 posts, read 12,402,959 times

Advertisements

I notice many new cars come with Continental Tires. I have a Nissan with Continental Tires, and I have had no problems. I only have 22000 miles on my Versa. I've talked to others that have nothing but complaints. Mainly tire wear at lower mileage, and poor handling. I've had none of these problems. I looked up reviews on Continental, and was amazed. Review after review complaint of excessive tire wear by 30,000 miles.

I use to buy Toyo tires, and found them excellent. What has been others experience with these two brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM

5,620 posts, read 12,857,510 times
Never have had a Toyo and won't have one either. The US made Toyos are decent, the Chinese made are major crap and they make the same line of tires in both places so you don't know what you're getting until they are on the car. I've had several sets of Continental tires. Never got over 30,000 miles out of a set and they were a major nail magnetic. I couldn't go more than 2 months without a flat tire. Generally, I don't fix a flat, I replace the tire. Couldn't do that with the Continentals that I had. Traction was decent wet or dry. Rode nice, no balance issues, but no long term life and nails were too much for me to have a set again. Conversely, the wifes Titanium Escape has Continental tires on it. So far, no issues. She only has 11,000 miles on it so mileage hasn't gotten up there yet to know about how long they will last.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM

33,807 posts, read 41,741,408 times
I don't quite understand what you said about not fixing a flat but instead replacing it and not being able to do that with Continentals.

If you pick up nails on a regular basis you really can't blame the tire. It's more where you're driving.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:55 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,432,654 times
Can't say anything for Toyo but I just put a set of Conti's on my Jeep - TerrainContact A/T. Well reviewed tire, so far they ride and handle far better than the Goodyear all terrains that came off - I got 30K out of those before they started handling for beans and riding rough/loud. If I get 30K out of the Conti's I'll be happy, but then, I have the expectation that AT tires don't last as long as streets anyway.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM

411 posts, read 356,104 times
I was quite pleased with the set of Conti ExtremeContact DWS I had on my 2014 Kia Forte EX. It was one of the highest-rated tires in its category (Ultra High Performance All Season), and it behaved exactly as advertised: very good traction in both wet and dry, plus able to deal with light snow when needed. It was near perfect for the climate here in central/eastern Virginia, where it gets below freezing often in the winter, but doesn't snow enough to warrant winter tires. The only caveat is that the tires were done around 45k miles instead of the 54k for which they were rated, but that's an acceptable tradeoff IMO.

The DWS was the previous generation of Continental UHPAS tires; I have a set of their current-generation DWS06 tires on my car now. 20k+ miles with no issues as of yet.

I don't have any experience with Toyo tires, nor can I speak to how Contis perform in other categories (with their Touring tire products like ContiProContact and ContiPureContact).

Old 08-20-2018, 01:02 PM

17,972 posts, read 19,711,650 times
I just put a set of continentals on my daily. It’s ok. Nothing extravagant or to write home about. My mpg actually decreased. I just got a alignment so maybe that was the issue.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:46 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,038,027 times
There are too many variables at play to generalize the attributes from one tire brand to the other. You would need to compare tire model to tire model on your specific car to get the most meaningful evaluation. For instance, remember those Firestone Wilderness tires that separated on Ford Explorers? Those tires were safe on every other model but the Explorer. Likewise other tires were safe for the Explorer. Essentially friction and force will vary from car to car and tire to tire.

However, you can generalize that some tire brands have stricter quality control than others. As a general rule of them, I don't have much confidence in Chinese manufactured products...especially tires.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 972,488 times
It depends on the tire model more than the brand, as well as your usage. Go to TireRack.com and check their reviews. I've been buying my tires there for a couple of decades now at least, probably longer. I just have them delivered to my mechanic who mounts them for me.

I also always get a spare wheel from them and an extra full size tire whenever I buy another car. My current vehicle actually has a full-size tire well under the trunk liner, but even when a full size tire won't fit there, I just put it in the trunk anyway. No way will I piddle along with a single use fake spare. Those things age, too, so when you buy an older car (which I always do, my current vehicle was about 12 years old when I bought it and is now about 15 years old) you should just toss that fake spare even if it doesn't appear to ever have been used. They're crap even when they're brand new, totally untrustworthy after a few years.

I also rotate the spare with the other 4 tires so they wear evenly. Then I replace all 5 tires when they get worn down.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:56 PM

5,335 posts, read 5,524,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
However, you can generalize that some tire brands have stricter quality control than others. As a general rule of them, I don't have much confidence in Chinese manufactured products...especially tires.
Exactly.

When I purchase tires I ask for Made in USA only tires.
Have had Chinese tires and some of them were junk.
Some may be good. Some may have a good experience with Chinese tires.
I just don't take the risk.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 PM

1,573 posts, read 3,004,147 times
I've never used Toyo tires but have had a lot of experience (all bad) with Continental tires. The Continentals have had huge problems with tread separation. I would give Toyos a try but I will never ride on Continentals again. I have had the best luck in 50 years of driving with Michelin, Kumho and Hankook tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or