Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,878,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Just to be clear, I know in 99 percent of cases, transmissions installed under warranty are rebuilt,
The local supplier of rebuilt/remanufactured automatic transmissions here does not have any CVT's. His suggestion - buy a new one.

So . . . what nationwide companies actually remanufacture CVT automatic transmissions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 AM

712 posts, read 523,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The local supplier of rebuilt/remanufactured automatic transmissions here does not have any CVT's. His suggestion - buy a new one.

So . . . what nationwide companies actually remanufacture CVT automatic transmissions?
Again he's wrong. You can't buy a "new" cvt. You have to buy a rebuilt one from the manufacturer.(That's probably what he meant. He didn't actually mean truly new) Jatco is the supplier for nissan. Your local suplier doesn't rebuild them because they're way more complicated and prone to failure. Small companies were losing their shirts trying to rebuild them and warranty them since they'd fail at such a higher rate than traditional. If you go to nissan with a blown transmission they order a REBUILT transmission from jatco, which is a subsidiary of nissan. So basically you're ordering directly from nissan. They give you a whole 1 year/12 month warranty which is an absolute joke for a repair that costs that much. Plunk thousands into a rebuilt tranny and 13 months later the tranny fails again and you have a junkyard car that you just spent thousands on. Traditional automatics generally give a 3 year warranty Jasper give a 3 year/100k warranty for example http://qms.jasperengines.com/warranty.asp Another reason cvt sucks.

This is so easy to check. Call nissan and tell them you have a 2013 rogue with 75k miles and your transmission is blown so what are your options for a Brand new transmission. They will tell you. There is none. Only rebuilt/remanufactured.

Unit731, please tell me where you can buy a truly new(not rebuilt) cvt for a 2013 rogue as per suggestion of that local shop. I'd love to know!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,878,004 times
Quote:
Unit731, please tell me where you can buy a truly new(not rebuilt) cvt for a 2013 rogue as per suggestion of that local shop. I'd love to know!
What the wholesaler stated was go to Nissan and buy a new one. Whether he meant a remanufactured new one is a moot question.
There are none out there except from a Nissan dealership. Whether it is new or remanufactured. It has to come from Nissan at full retail price.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
What the wholesaler stated was go to Nissan and buy a new one. Whether he meant a remanufactured new one is a moot question.
There are none out there except from a Nissan dealership. Whether it is new or remanufactured. It has to come from Nissan at full retail price.
It's not a moot point since there's a difference between brand new and remanufactured. Obviously.

Remanufactured do not last as long as original equipment off the assembly line. So yes you're stuck paying full retail and you're not even getting a brand new off the assembly line tranny, but a rebuilt/refurbished one. And it's still a cvt, which is prone to premature failures even when it's brand new, forget remanufactured.

Call nissan and ask what is costs for a transmission. Your jaw will hit the floor. lol Unless the car is only a few years old with lower mileage(and these under warranty), it will cost more to fix the transmission than the trade in value of the vehicle in many cases when the car is old enough to be out of warranty.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:29 AM

24,510 posts, read 17,995,915 times
Quote:

Remanufactured do not last as long as original equipment off the assembly line. So yes you're stuck paying full retail and you're not even getting a brand new off the assembly line tranny, but a rebuilt/refurbished one. And it's still a cvt, which is prone to premature failures even when it's brand new, forget remanufactured.

I love people who spew out uninformed opinion and represent it as "facts".

Old 08-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I love people who spew out uninformed opinion and represent it as "facts".
You must love yourself then

I also love people who claim that you can buy a new cvt when you can't.

Can you please tell me where to buy a brand new(not remanufacted) cvt off the assembly line for the op's car or for a 2013 rogue? Simple request to prove me wrong!

People routinely say they are getting a "new" transmission when in fact it's rebuilt.

Simple question: if the "new" transmission lasts as long as original equipment why does nissan only give a 1 year/12 month warranty? Plenty of stories of people's remanned trannys failing shortly after being installed. Gooogle. it. Some cars have had 4 cvt trannys in them

Old 08-29-2018, 02:29 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,014,548 times
I've owned 2 Altimas...

My 2008 (college car) I kept until 280,000 miles. Sold it. Still ran just fine.

My 2014 I just sold at 190,000 miles. Not a single issue.

I must be "lucky."

Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I've owned 2 Altimas...

I must be "lucky."
The fact that you roll your eyes with a sarcastic "I must be lucky" tells me you don't understand basic probability very well. It's like saying your grandfather smoked until 100, so smoking doesn't cause cancer. Nissan CVT has a higher failure rate than traditional automatics. A higher failure rate doesn't mean they all fail. It means they have a higher risk of failing due to how they were engineered. In the same way smoking increases risk, but doesn't guarantee cancer. I'm not the only one talking about cvt. It's not an anomaly. Nissan has admitted a problem and extended warranties and there have been class action lawsuits. Honda for example in vast majority of models does not have the problem and is more reliable. Nissan went to cvt to meet epa requirements knowing full well it was a design that was not as robust as traditional automatic.

For example:

Let's say for arguments sake that they have a 10 percent failure rate by 150,000 miles/5 percent at failed by 130k ect(I don't know actual number, only nissan would know that and keep it guarded, but we know it's way higher than traditional automatics) This means that 90 out 100 nissans will not have a problem at 150k. But remember millions of vehicles are sold so that's a ton of nissan cvts with potential problems. It's an idiotic risk to take. You can buy other more reliable vehicles that don't have that risk. If you buy a used nissan for 10k dollars and 2 years later it needs a new transmission, you've basically thrown away 10k since the repair will cost more than the trade in value of the vehicle. It's a paper weight and you're totally screwed if you have payments to make and many people don't have up to 5k sitting around for a repair.

Yes, you got lucky. You should be happy about that.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:56 PM

16,752 posts, read 8,115,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I've owned 2 Altimas...

I must be "lucky."
I gave my granddaughter my 2011 Caliber with the CVT II Chrysler version.

It had 151,000 on it. It is now at 161,000 no problems great gas mileage.

I would get a CVT again no problem.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:32 AM

669 posts, read 573,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I gave my granddaughter my 2011 Caliber with the CVT II Chrysler version.

It had 151,000 on it. It is now at 161,000 no problems great gas mileage.

I would get a CVT again no problem.
Yep.....maintenance is key to any transmission working properly. My Nissan just flipped 201,000 miles! Runs great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive