Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:58 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,777,941 times

Advertisements

I live in an area where there are a lot of retirees who vacation for 6 months out of the year. They hit your car and don't even remember doing it. I had a new Outback a few years back. Went to the grocery store, came out 15 minutes later to black scrapes all over my white bumper. Someone had backed into my car. The parking spaces are huge and they are well spaced so backing out isn't an issue. But when you combine elderly drivers (and my father is one, and I know what HIS car looks like) and parking lots, you are pretty much SOL. This one grocery store is super busy, so there is no place to park where there are no cars. Other places I park my new (to me) vehicle out away from other drivers and come out to at least one if not two cars parked next to me. I seem to find a new ding every day. And no, it doesn't "just happen". It's carelessness on the other person's part, either deliberately or because they are on their phones and totally unaware of what's going on around them. Or they are elderly and cognitively impaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,676,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
An award for the most ridiculous post I've seen
I welcome any and all awards and will add them to my trophy case. Hopefully all can see that my comment was sarcastic as OP mentioned the year and make of his vehicle

Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 3,158,932 times
I think there is a lot more of this than there used to be because so many people are driving SUV's now and they don't know how to back up using the side mirrors. In a sedan, you can see out the rear window fairly well. Back up cameras will help quite a bit, but many older SUVs don't have them.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
UGH - I try to park way out in parking lots (figure it helps me get some exercise) - so far: someone hit my back bumper (white paint was left and there was a piece of junk car parked next to me but obviously I couldn't prove anything). I come out and find door dings, etc. - now today someone hit my passenger side mirror - guessing they did a "pull through" because the mirror got pushed in, not broken off - but there are scrapes and gouges in the mirror "holder/shell" - not sure what it's called. I don't have a great car ('10 Corolla) but I take care of it, I don't hit other vehicles, etc. - how rude of people to do this and not even bother leaving a note or anything (LMAO - like THAT will ever happen) - just a fact of life in the world we are in now?
I don't think times were much different from now. Maybe in the 50s and 60s you might have had a note on your windshield.

Some people park diagonally in two spaces because it seems to resist being side swiped.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
My buddy carries a set of side cutter pliers. When someone does that to him he cuts a valve stem on a tire. If they really tweak him he will do two tires on opposite sides. Usually he does a rear passenger side. He does have a little bit of a anger issue.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 PM

247 posts, read 251,662 times
I'm so anal about my car that I'll use my old 14 year old beat up car so I can park up front,if I must take my nice car I'll park so far away it's comical

Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 AM

1,822 posts, read 805,456 times
It might be hard to find, but i usually park in a spot that has a tree, curb, or grass next to you and in front. No pull through's, only one car next to you, and there's a good choice of it be close to the building.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:05 AM

6,706 posts, read 4,355,906 times
I've seen people do this. Just fling their door open until it hits the other vehicle, just not caring. I have a new vehicle ,a 2 door, so it opens wider. I always go for end spot next to the curb by an island. Pull up close on the right side next to the curb, not having to worry about no one else on that side, also giving me extra room on the drivers side to open my door, and extra space between me if some one parks beside me.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,039,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I've seen people do this. Just fling their door open until it hits the other vehicle, just not caring. I have a new vehicle ,a 2 door, so it opens wider. I always go for end spot next to the curb by an island. Pull up close on the right side next to the curb, not having to worry about no one else on that side, also giving me extra room on the drivers side to open my door, and extra space between me if some one parks beside me.
Just buy used mediocre vehicles and stop caring. I really don't care if my car has a tiny little ding in it. I'll never notice. Haven't washed it in years (rain does that for me), and I don't care to use wax....ever. Never paid an exorbitant sum for a car wash.

Hail? Bring it. I'm riding this thing to the ground. Hey, if people want to drive Audis and Lexuses down the highway and drive like jerks, I am happy to inform them that I am not afraid to swap a little paint with them. They will yield and go drive like jerks somewhere else. Get mad, I don't care.

Oh, and if you want to be a real donkey and take up two (or more!) spaces in a parking lot, I have no problem skirting up riiiiigggt next to you, and if I have one friend who knows the same game and he and I will box you in. Good luck. And even though I'm over 30 I'll even allow a shopping cart to "drift" (with a little nudge) into the cars of people who do that type of thing. I'll leave it parked up against your driver's side door just so you learn a lesson to not do it again (I hope).

It's one thing to park way out of the way, I'll just assume that you're getting exercise or trying to not fight for a space or deal with pedestrians close to the building (because that's what I do to), but heaven help your precious little unscratched car if you deliberately take up 4 spaces.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 PM

50,083 posts, read 35,727,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I live in an area where there are a lot of retirees who vacation for 6 months out of the year. They hit your car and don't even remember doing it. I had a new Outback a few years back. Went to the grocery store, came out 15 minutes later to black scrapes all over my white bumper. Someone had backed into my car. The parking spaces are huge and they are well spaced so backing out isn't an issue. But when you combine elderly drivers (and my father is one, and I know what HIS car looks like) and parking lots, you are pretty much SOL. This one grocery store is super busy, so there is no place to park where there are no cars. Other places I park my new (to me) vehicle out away from other drivers and come out to at least one if not two cars parked next to me. I seem to find a new ding every day. And no, it doesn't "just happen". It's carelessness on the other person's part, either deliberately or because they are on their phones and totally unaware of what's going on around them. Or they are elderly and cognitively impaired.
I had this happen twice, and both times I was in my car! Once I was in a parking spot waiting to back out. There was an elderly lady backing out of her spot, and she just kept on backing up right into my car. She never realized she hit me. She was driving away as I got out. It was an old beater back then but I never forgot it.

The second time I was sitting in Rite Aid parking lot addressing a greeting card I just bought so I could mail it, and an elderly man driving a giant pick up clipped me as he was turning around my car. He at least knew he hit me, he got out asking if he did. he looked like he was about 80. He was very apologetic. I said "why do you need to be driving that giant truck?' He said "You're right, I know".

This time I was driving a car I'd had for about 12 years, and there were so many dings by then I couldn't tell which was his. He asked my if I wanted money and I said no. I hope he traded the truck in for a car he can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive