Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:54 PM

11,988 posts, read 9,066,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Decent AND cheap?

Pick one.
Yeah. Tires are the single most important factor in handling and braking performance - what you pick matters a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 05:58 PM

11,988 posts, read 9,066,282 times
They might not be "cheap", but the Vredestein Quatrac Pros I bought last time are a good value, and being quality all-weather tires, they work well year round, even if there is snow, so you don't need to shell out for two sets or to have them swapped back and forth with the other set every winter and spring, both of which save cash.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 2,171,826 times
Last time I bought cheap tires new, I had a blowout where the tire exploded into ribbons on the freeway 8 hours after they were installed. The second time I bought cheap tires I had a blowout on the freeway due to a manufacturer defect several hours after they were installed.

If I can't afford high quality new tires I buy high quality used tires I still think I'm better off. As long as there's enough tread on it, I do inspect them inside and out then there's nothing wrong with buying used tires.

I'm not saying you have to break the bank on tires, but keeping out on them by buying some flight By night brand is often times worse than buying used tires.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:25 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,135,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lowest cost I found today for new... was Goodyear via Walmart.
I've heard the tires that Goodyear makes for Walmart are not the same quality as they sell at tire centers. Anyway, I am not going to trust my car to Walmart.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:27 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,135,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
This. I had a Chinese tire explode on me about 5 years ago after driving only 100 miles. Definitely STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE TIRES.Mine were Hifly brand.
Why are they DOT then? We are trusting our safety to the government. Are you suggesting that trust is misplaced?

Old 03-19-2021, 10:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,526,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
This. I had a Chinese tire explode on me about 5 years ago after driving only 100 miles. Definitely STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE TIRES.Mine were Hifly brand.

I had some decent Dean Alpha tires about 15 years ago. Those are a cheap Cooper brand and I'm sure they are made in China now.

I had Michelin Defenders before the pandemic. I got 70,000 out of them and they were good in snow and rain. One problem was my Elantra - if I didn't rotate the tires every 5,000 miles the rear would get choppy.
It depends on the situation, did you over inflate the tire and what did you hit. Any tire any brand can explode if it hits a sharp object with a heavy car.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 902,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
They might not be "cheap", but the Vredestein Quatrac Pros I bought last time are a good value, and being quality all-weather tires, they work well year round, even if there is snow, so you don't need to shell out for two sets or to have them swapped back and forth with the other set every winter and spring, both of which save cash.
I feel these are a great value, but they're still hardly a winter tire. I use them in the warmer months on my car.

Last month I decided my snows were ready to be changed - the fronts were nearly bald. I had been coming and going from my driveway without issue all winter. I swapped on my summers just to drive to the local Midas, and I couldn't get out of my driveway. I spent probably 20 minutes trying to back up 15ft before giving up and taking my wife's car - which I backed straight out without issue.

"All weather" might be decent enough for some light snow a couple of times per year, but they're hardly winter tires.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,602 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I've heard the tires that Goodyear makes for Walmart are not the same quality as they sell at tire centers. Anyway, I am not going to trust my car to Walmart.
You don't have to 'hear', you can get specific tire specs, and Goodyear (and others) make brand specific tires for Walmart, and you can buy 'Walmart branded' or conventional Goodyears at Walmart. Know what specifically you are buying, regardless of distributor.

I do mount and balance my own tires, and as a commercial driver concerned about continuing my 3m accident free driving + 3m personal accident free miles, I value the lives of others, and value the quality of my tires (on personal fleet of 40+ vehicles)..

Can't say I have ever bought a Goodyear or BF Goodrich tire, tho have replaced many that came on vehicles I acquired.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:22 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,696,442 times
My life is worth a couple hundred extra bucks extra.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:03 AM

6,227 posts, read 2,997,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
My life is worth a couple hundred extra bucks extra.
I agree............plus, a set of good tires makes curvy roads a LOT more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive