Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:09 AM

765 posts, read 473,811 times

Advertisements

p.s. I went back and read thru the replies - i can't even believe no one mentioned the drive in movies!!!!!!!!!!! and even when me and my best friend, in our thirties, we would pile the kids in the car and we'd hit the last drive in movie theater outside of Bolton CT, we'd sit on top of the truck and the kids would be in the truck bed with pillows and blankets.....best summer nights ever in the 80's!!!!!! That is one thing I miss so so much.... it was cheap, it was fun, it was cartoons, coming attractions, a sing-a-long!!!!! a short film or two and then the full length movie. Life was good back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:12 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
We were living in Priest River, Idaho. I had a job in Sandpoint, Idaho about 25 miles away. I was driving an old Renault with no heater. Driving up one morning, it was about 0 degrees. I kept scraping the window, because it was constantly freezing up. I probably averaged 30 mph on a 55 mph highway. I was literally shaking with fear or cold, probably both. I made it though.

Another time we were driving on Highway 97 in central Oregon. A huge hailstorm came up and our car did a 720 degree spin. Fortunately we were the only one on the road, or it would have been a real mess.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
p.s. I went back and read thru the replies - i can't even believe no one mentioned the drive in movies!!!!!!!!!!! and even when me and my best friend, in our thirties, we would pile the kids in the car and we'd hit the last drive in movie theater outside of Bolton CT, we'd sit on top of the truck and the kids would be in the truck bed with pillows and blankets.....best summer nights ever in the 80's!!!!!! That is one thing I miss so so much.... it was cheap, it was fun, it was cartoons, coming attractions, a sing-a-long!!!!! a short film or two and then the full length movie. Life was good back then
Awww plum forgot about the old vw hippie bus my mom had. Yeah the drive in theatre was a hoot!
Three of us kids had to hide under the seats because we didn't have a lot of money. So after we made it thru the pay booth ...more heads popped up! There was six of us in all.
The cartoon with....let's go back to the lobby..with the dancing food was a riot. We loved intermission just to see those dancing food's. We saw all the herbie the lovebug movies there and my favorite was chitty chitty bang bang movie ..it was magical under the stars. Thanks for mentioning that ceiligrrl.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:14 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Well, my most enjo.... never mind!

Old 08-31-2018, 02:15 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Sometime in the 70s, living in the Canal Zone, double dating with another couple, we got in a bit of a traffic tif with (turned out to be) a Panamanian doctor. The hot headed driver of the car had some heated words with the good doctor, but we drove off and thought that was the end of it. We went and partied somewhere and on the way back the Guardia National tried to stop us. Our driver (Randy!) stepped on it, figuring it was gonna come to no good and probably had something to do with the altercation with the doctor. The chase was on. They chased us from Panamanian territory on the Isthmian highway into Canal Zone (US) territory and at one point, where SHOOTING AT US. No lie. Live bullets. I was in the front seat but on the floor board passenger side of Randy's Carmen Ghia! OMG !!! We got all the way to Margarita, Guardia still in pursuit, going over curbs and through yards to get to his house, where we finally came to a screeching halt and he ran in and got a shotgun. By then the Guardia were right at the house and seeing the shotgun, they thought better of it (an international incident with a couple of stupid teenagers??) and drove on by. I don't think anyone ever followed up on that. I know I went home and never said another word about it. Of course, I never went out with Randy again either. that's my story.

Last edited by Riley.; 08-31-2018 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
i can't even believe no one mentioned the drive in movies!!!!!!!!!!!
I was about to.

I remember the time my girlfriend performed fellatio on me at the drive in.

Quite memorable.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:25 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
Blowing past a cop in an E-type Jaguar with the speedo just at 150 MPH. My responsible father was driving. the cop never caught up with us. I 'm not sure why, but it was a good thing!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:34 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:

I think a lot of us here have good memories at the Drive-in. Not too sure we could elaborate on them. I do remember after the movie was over, a guy walking around with a flashlight directing all the traffic to leave. Seeing that guy with the flashlight, meant we had to hurry up and get dressed.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:40 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I was born in a car, but it's not memorable to me, I was just a tiny baby!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:57 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
When i beat other punks that try to race me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive